Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,246

1 members and 3,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Florida python hunt

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    If there is a taxidermy place near you, go ask them. It would be easy for everyone to call up any local places and ask if they would be interested in hides. The meat would probably quickly go bad, and be no good(similar issue with keeping any number of bodies..), and hauling that much snake around all night would be a big PITA. Hides would be fairly easy to take and stuff into a bag.

I'm so very glad that they are doing it, and extremely proud that both Greg and Micheal are partipating! I'd like to look into going down to put in time myself sometime soon.
    Hide, you'd want to have someone carrying a ice chest with ice in it. Put the hide in a plastic bag and put it in the chest. Heat and humidity are killers to fresh hides.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

I read this story a few weeks ago.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...id=enews070909

Thanks

Those pics are disgusting. "oh, it has food in its stomach, and when we catch it's going to regurgitate.. So, let's tie a rope around it's neck and see what happens."

I don't care how much of a dangerous nuisance they are, it's disgusting! Chop off their heads, and be done with it. They should make rules at least, don't make it suffer. I'm so happy to be in Kansas, I couldn't stand seeing that everyday, or in person. It just turns my stomach.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stratus_020202 View Post
    I just hope they can all go out quickly, and painlessly. How easy is it to shoot a Burmese, and not make it suffer? I know it needs to be done, but it stills tears me up.

Give people a reason to kill, they are going to have fun with it.

I am all for hunting, and have grown up with guns all my life. But I don't know much about them. Are they going to be able to kill them quickly with a gun?
    they cant use guns...they are cutting their heads off

1.1 Het Albino BP
    1.0 Banded king
    1.1 Amelanistic Het Anerythristic Corns
    1.1 Het Albino Western Hognose
    0.1 Garter

Thanks

The “Partner with Hunters” program will allow trained, qualified, and licensed hunters the opportunity to terminate pythons, a non-game species, with the use of their firearm if they come across one during the course of their normal hunting activity.
    This is quoted from my copy of the press release from USARK. I'm sorry, They aren't allowed to use what? AND the weapon of choice in the article above is a 12 guage shotgun. Please correct me if I am misreading.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

I too am all for USARK, and support this hunt as a PUBLIC RELATIONS action. But, as a biologist I can assure you that there is not a prayer in hell of eliminating Burms from south Florida by this or any other strategy I can think of. They now are common from the northern keys to Ft Lauderdale (at least) and west all the way to the Gulf. Most of this habitat is totally inaccessible and roadless. Combine this with the huge population and cryptic habits of the pythons, and you have a recipe for failure.

Did anyone notice that the National Park, as well as all private land, will be off-limits to the hunters?
    Brad Chambers

Texans-Join Herp Conservation Unlimited-or don't complain!

WWW.HCU-TX.ORG

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

The press release from USARK is not policy. I believe the USARK press release is what they would LIKE to happen.

The official word is that you CANNOT use firearms in public lands, and the approved method is to cut the head off.

I could be wrong, but the last word is from the state, not USARK. I'm glad USARK is involved, but their release is not the same as the official.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

stratus_020202 (07-17-2009)

Thanks

The “Partner with Hunters” program will allow trained, qualified, and licensed hunters the opportunity to terminate pythons, a non-game species, with the use of their firearm if they come across one during the course of their normal hunting activity.
    Same Quote from Washington, DC, and according to an Atlanta newspaper:
    This just in from Washington: The Feds will not only join Florida's great snake hunt, but will expand it to include aerial surveillance and research into the lifestyles of feral Burmese pythons suspected to be lying low, yet waiting to strike, in Everglades National Park and other federal lands.

Earlier this week, Florida Gov. Charlie Crist (R) convened a state-led task force of bounty hunters to chase pythons that aren't in national parks, preserves, or refuges. On Friday morning, that hunt yielded its first catch: Three bounty hunters caught a nine-foot python in Broward County.

When it comes to national parks, however, hunting is not allowed. But the newly announced federal program supersedes that rule.
    Hmm. Seems to be some misunderstanding in this python hunt. Imagine that, misunderstanding, from the government.

1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

There was a report on the 6:00 news tonight about the hunt. Showed shots of Greg and Shawn reaching down and grabbing one from the dock. The reporter said they were using a machete (sp?) to kill the burms.

While I don't like the idea of killing any animal, I agree that it is necessary both for PR purposes as well as control.

I also don't believe they can eradicate all at this late date and these feral burms are not your "tame" burms raised in captivity.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i would more then love to be down there helping them out in this,it needs to be done
    1.0 blonde pastel,1.8 normal,1.1 het orange ghost 1.0 het butterscotch 0.1 het green ghost 0.1 het albino 0.1 rtb 0.1 yellow anaconda 1.0 borneo blood 1.0 albino burmese

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast