Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,246

0 members and 3,246 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Florida python hunt

I know this will please some and upset otheirs , but I trust U.S.A.R.K. Just got this from them in a e-mail.

This Press release was written by Shawn Heflick and Andrew Wyatt. This morning it was submitted to the Associated Press, Washington Post, The Orlando Sentinel, ABC News and FOX News.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Pilot Program For Python Hunt

Wilmington, NC July 16, 2009- The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) supports a bounty on Burmese Pythons. Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has been working very closely with key reptile experts in Florida to develop and implement a pilot program for permitting a select group of 20 Florida reptile experts to participate in a trial program that will allow permitted experts to hunt Burmese Pythons on FWC and South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) areas. All participants must possess a valid Florida Reptiles of Concern permit and meet criteria laid down by FWC. Each Burmese Hunt Permittee will be allowed 5 additional hunters to accompany them into the field. Permitted individuals must carry GPS units and digital cameras, and supply data to FWC within 36 hours of capture. They will also be required to attempt to capture any other non-native species they come across during their hunts and call for permission from land managers into restricted areas before going into the field. Permitted individuals are free to take the specimens or euthanize them on site at their discretion.

FWC has worked very hard to step up and develop this program. They have worked very closely with the Florida Reptile Community in the development of this permit/program, and are eager to be part of the solution to this problem. Florida reptile experts spear-heading this effort with FWC are Shawn K. Heflick, Greg Graziani and Michael Cole.

The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) supports and applauds this effort by FWC and the Florida Reptile Community in taking concrete pragmatic steps in addressing the issue of feral Burmese Pythons in South Florida. USARK supports Senator Bill Nelson’s call for the US Dept. of Interior to open federal land where the epicenter of the population resides and is encouraging that this pilot program be considered as a model for a Federal Bounty Program. In a letter dated June 17, 2009 to Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar USARK pledged $10,000 to this proposal.

USARK President Andrew Wyatt added, “It is time all interested stakeholders work together to address this issue. The reptile community has been unjustly cast as the villain being accused as the source of the introduction of Burmese Pythons, when a genetics study commissioned by SFWD points away from this likelihood. We are not the source, but we want to be part of the solution; and we are putting our money where our mouth is. We have more expertise with Burmese Pythons than all other stakeholders combined and now we are bringing this expertise to bear in addressing this problem in South Florida.”

USARK is a science and education based advocacy for the responsible private ownership of, and trade in reptiles. We endorse caging standards, sound husbandry, escape prevention protocols, and an integrated approach to vital conservation issues. Our goal is to facilitate cooperation between government agencies, the scientific community, and the private sector in order to produce policy proposals that will effectively address important husbandry and conservation issues. The health of these animals, public safety, and maintaining ecological integrity are our primary concerns

Thanks

Re: Florida python hunt

I had actually been wondering how long it was going to take before we started orchestrated culling of wild non-indigenous species. Regardless of how much we admire these animals, there is no excuse for letting them proliferate in the wild, and wreaking havoc on both the native species and the already delicate ecosystem.

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ctrlfreq For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (07-16-2009),Mike Cavanaugh (07-17-2009)

Thanks

Glad that something is finally being done about the wild ones that are ruining the lands. I think this should have been done years ago.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lillyorchid For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (07-16-2009)

Thanks

Although it saddens me I feel it needs to be done. Granted we will "never" get all of the wild ones thinning them out can't hurt and maybe it will get the legislators off our backs and give them something to do for a while. But I think any babies found be given to petshops to be given a chance. exquisite adult specimens should be donated to zoos or something. I just feel that if there is some place they can live out their lives then they should be given the chance to do soo.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sg1trogdor For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (07-16-2009),stratus_020202 (07-17-2009)

Thanks

The Experts in the industry are behind this, and we need to all be supportive imo.
    Royality Ball Pythons
    www.bproyality.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sg1trogdor View Post
    Although it saddens me I feel it needs to be done. Granted we will "never" get all of the wild ones thinning them out can't hurt and maybe it will get the legislators off our backs and give them something to do for a while. But I think any babies found be given to petshops to be given a chance. exquisite adult specimens should be donated to zoos or something. I just feel that if there is some place they can live out their lives then they should be given the chance to do soo.
    Not to shoot you down, but I bet you've never seen a fresh from the wild 15 foot burm.

They are NOTHING like the big fat 15 foot babies you see in captivity.

Zoos won't want them because there are plenty available now that are already healthy and tame. Too many.

Babies for pet stores would simply put more babies of questionable health and not nearly the friendly temperaments of captives back into the already flooded market.

Your ideas are good ones, but not practical ones.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Brinny-chan (07-17-2009),Clear (07-26-2009),Kysenia (07-17-2009),Mike Cavanaugh (07-17-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Not to shoot you down, but I bet you've never seen a fresh from the wild 15 foot burm.

They are NOTHING like the big fat 15 foot babies you see in captivity.

Zoos won't want them because there are plenty available now that are already healthy and tame. Too many.

Babies for pet stores would simply put more babies of questionable health and not nearly the friendly temperaments of captives back into the already flooded market.

Your ideas are good ones, but not practical ones.
    Yeah I guess I didn't think of it like that. Oh well. Can't win em all.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

USARK might have just saved our tails. im glad they jumped in and offered a helping hand and took a step forward with taking care of this problem. i hope after all this is dealt with that our lil babies are still safe with us. i also think that there should be a ban on importation of the burmese... just let the breeders produce our pets... maybe even balls for that matter.
    my

1.1 Het Albino BP
    1.0 Banded king
    1.1 Amelanistic Het Anerythristic Corns
    1.1 Het Albino Western Hognose
    0.1 Garter

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

kill em all. that is what I say. speaking of the wild ones in south florida.

It sounds HORRIBLE and I know that. But honestly and truly, I thing that us having that "official stance" is the only thing that can possibly save our hobby at this point.

Think about it.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

Kysenia (07-17-2009),tonkatoyman (07-17-2009)

Thanks

I agree with you Mike.
    It's sad that animals, the very ones that someone chose to have in captivity have to die. But it must be done.

Remove the pythons from the wild, and remove the ammo they have on us to take away OUR reptiles......... This could be a good thing.
    "I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful." ~Marilyn Monroe

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast