Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

2 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: USARK supports a Python hunt

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    Im all for any group out to protect our rights as reptile owners. I just can't support this group because of that affiliation...
    Well, I'm hopeful that in the fight for our rights, when we really need to get in and dig deep (like the letter writing, phone calling, e-mailing in April) that folks in this industry can all put their personal feelings aside for the common good of us all.

But, I get where you're coming from.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Cliff, I think you're dead wrong. Invasive species destroy our native species which have developed especially for the ecosystem that's here. Not only that, but why should we allow one introduced species destroy all the ones here, just because it can? Several species of bird are on the brink of extinction because of rats in certain areas. So we should just shrug and say "Oh well" and lose those birds forever, because rats are better at living?

For all your touting that humans are the worst thing on the planet, you're certainly not advocating helping the planet in any way by that post.
    Wolfy I have studied biology for years and sometime my views can be viewed as controversial this I understand. However the inhabitants of this earth will always change and evolve through natural selection as long as we allow them to do so. The rat is one of the most successful creatures on this earth in terms of surviving and reproduction it does have its place no matter what species may eventually be harmed. We can always believe in conservation and take species that are harmed and need assistance and help to reintroduce them in an ecosystem that they can actually thrive in. This being said the everglades are perfect for a large constrictor. They are not the top predator in the area, they will be a large food source and will prey mainly on species that are overcrowded in that area. Regardless I think the Burmese is here to stay in the everglades as it is already established and the removal of them may bring more upset to the balance of the ecosystem than leaving them. The biggest downfall is that this issue is blamed on us as keepers.
    -Cliff-
    SulfurPythons.com -COMING SOON-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

The rat doesn't have a place in areas it didn't evolve to fit. That's why several islands have NO native birdlife left, because rats eat the eggs. That's NOT natural selection, that's stupidity on the part of people who allowed it to happen.

If Canada's Ontario(I think it's ontario...) can make itself be rat-free, then there's a chance of us getting enough burms out of the everglades to make a huge difference. A top predetor like a burm(and yes, they are a top predetor, no matter what eats the babies), can only do harm. We already have top predetors in the everglades which belong there.

Just because hyenas eat lion cubs don't make lions a prey species. If you study biolofy you should know that.

The downfall is that if we sit back and say burmese belong in the everglades, we look like irresponsible dimwits. By trying to help the situation, we bring good PR to the herp hobby overall, no matter if we manage to finish off the clean up or not. It's the attempt that makes a differnce, and removing burms is not going to harm a ecology that didn't develop with them in it to begin with.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Mendel's Balls (07-27-2009)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123