Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,414

2 members and 3,412 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ownership?

Thanks

ownership?

So my brother wanted me to ask you guys this. Him and me both have experience messing with retics and once when overseas for a little bit an african rock python but other then that mainly just normal sized snakes. He wants to move onto an andaconda. What would you guys says as responsible owners to what else would need to be considered for ownership and care. I have been over his place with a tape measure to make sure he has the room and we have gone over his budget for care and vet bills. I am going to add it to my pet insurance if he gets one so that way it is taken care of the best way possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I truly believe he is 100% willing to do whatever it takes.

Thanks

Re: ownership?

I should probably mention that the conda he is thinking about is a yellow and not a green

Thanks

14 views and no posts huh? You all still need your coffee?

Thanks

I'll reply. Buying a giant isn't "in my opinion" like buying a BP. There are several things to consider.
    1. The overall life of the animal. You will have to care for it the entire time.
    2. Giants aren't as easy to sell off if your situation changes so you need to be prepared to sacrifice if needed to care for it no matter the situation.
    3. Will you be able to handle it when it gets bigger and you have to clean the cage???
    If you have considered all aspects of what you are doing and still believe you can handle it then by all means buy it.
    However remember this isn't a toy you can put on a shelf when you are tired of it, or can no longer afford to care for it. It is an animal whos care is being put in your trust.

Thanks

Yeah my brother has figured allt hat and he is cool with all that. Plus I would smack him if he got stupid lol. Heck if he ever wanted to get rid of it I would take it lol. I just can't afford one. but yeah neither me nor my brother are noobs to keeping snakes and such so the whole aspect of it is not a toy is understood and such. The main reason he said he did nto want a green is because he was worried about size diff between a green and yellow and that if it got monster size it would cause issues with space. but I explained the chance of a very large yellow and he just shrugged and said if it comes to that it is still his pet to care for. Just was wondering what you all had to say as you guys actually have the snakes themselves. Since this will be his first conda chances are I will be working with him all the time as I have had very limited exposure to the agreesvness of the species through a pet owner I knew once. Thanks and I understand your concern.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

My suggestion would be to contact Ben Re**** (Sp) He keeps and breeds loads of them and would be far more qualified to answer your questions that anyone else I know of.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

A large locking secure cage. Don't figure on using a tank and lid. Don't skimp on building one either.

I wasn't aware you could put snakes on pet health insurance. What a novel concept.

Things to consider. What if he moves? What about any significant others? Will they be okay with a giant snake? Do you know how much they eat, then poo? Heating, humidity, and cage size are all important, but in my mind, the most important is to be sure you have a secure locking enclosure.

Are anaconda's legal where he lives? Does he need a permit for one?
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

If you have experience with retics, that's a good start.

Yellows are different in that they will require a larger water container than a retic (though all giants should have a tub for soaking). Yellows are, in my opinion, "borderline" giants. A big female might get 12 - 13 feet. Male greens are usually smaller than this, heck even a big green female isn't over 17 feet...

Anyway, do you have experience in gaining trust with snakes? Say, if you got a really nasty 6' retic could you take the time to tame it? Do you know it's possible? You sound like you think yellows are aggressive and there's no two ways about it. Wrong. I've owned every giant (except amethystina) and never had a mean one.

Obtain a baby. Much easier to establish trust. And, of course, captive bred only.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

I'm curious.

What experience do you have with which species?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Well my experience with conda's are not extremely vast i will admit. I have a little experience with a green male that a pet store owner I knew had and he was not the best attitude snake to learn but we did alright. I have not messedwith yellows that much and thought that the species agressivness came across on both greens and yellow which I am happy to hear is not true. I am so happy with all the info you guys are giving me as this will make it easier for us to decide wetehr he should go ahead with his plans. As far as living space. he has enough space and no other sig others to worry about. he has the income possibel to achieve porper care and whatever he lacks I wouldhappily pick up to make sure a snake is properly taken care of. As far as handling an agressive snake I myself and my brother are happy to do it. we both look at that as a challenge to approach with patience and care to the snake. I love handling mean snakes and tohave them alot tamer in the end no matter the pain it may cause me because it makes me feel like I am doing something good. Hopefully that answers your quest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast