Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,198

2 members and 3,196 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: You've got to be kidding me!

There is no easy answer to this problem.
    I can see the merits of both sides. These snakes do not belong wild in Florida. I wouldn't appose a well-organized controlled hunt. In many places there are annual "deer hunts" just to help keep the deer population stay manageable...and they are a native animal.

A hunt is probably not the best long-term solution. Again no easy answer to this. Especially, when 2 year-old kids die from a pet snake. That is just so sad and potential death for our hobby.
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Thanks

I am not saying I have the answer. Honestly to answer that question I would need to think it over and get mroe information about the area and what resources were avilable and what alternatives there are to killing them. But considering the man who is pushing this hunt is the same who is trying to ban them I doubt all that was done but *shrug*. I just think it is sad that us humans have to go into an animals home and kill it out of fear.

Thanks

ok....i guess i understand the fear of the pythons by florida people...but umm...gators? wtf? why are they not killing them? i would imagine a gator being more dangerous than a damned burmese.

1.1 Het Albino BP
    1.0 Banded king
    1.1 Amelanistic Het Anerythristic Corns
    1.1 Het Albino Western Hognose
    0.1 Garter

Thanks

My only concern is the aspect where this so called "organized hunt" is going to end up in a major kill all hunt driven by people's igronance of the species as a whole and the ignoring of the underlieing cause of the problem.

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks

What an ASS!! Sen. Nelson is a true idiot in my opinion! I understand there is a problem in the south regarding Burms in the everglades, etc. But HUNT AND KILL is out right stupid. You know how many people will just go and try to join because they don't like snakes?!?!?! And besides, there is no way to control the python population out there! Nelson really needs to think before he speaks!

I don't mean to disrespect Mr. Nelson, but there are better ways to reduce the problem than go out and kill!
    Jeremy T.
    Owner of J and D Reptiles
    www.janddreptiles.com

Thanks

You know I just watched something the other day that said aligators were the most numerous and dangerous predator in florida yet they go after snakes!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

First, the article makes it sound like a feral burmese killed the girl, when it was a irresponsibly kept pet.
    Second, the burmese don't have a "home" in the everglades. They are a introduced species, and they need to go. I support a "hunt".
    Third, the burmese in the everglades isn't a result of thousands and thousands of Burmese owners all driving all the way down to the tip of freaking florida ot turn their snakes loose! Yes, and few MIGHT be, but that population did not occur from 10,000 pet owners managing to drive down and toss out a snake. There's plenty of info on here alone about the various ways that burmese were released accidentally from hurricane damage, and from the very close by importation centers.

The burmese isn't native, that why people want to eliminate burmese, and not alligators. If someone brought tigers in and managed to get a population going, I'd be all for hunting them out too. Of course.. tigers would be dangerous to people.. where I don't think there's been any attacks by 'feral' burmese in the everglades.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Jsh (07-15-2009)

Thanks

introduced or not they are still there as a result of some force which was not their fault by migration/movement of the natural species. which is why I say that it is their home. This is just another attempt in my opinion of this senator to try and get publicity for his bill to pass.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qetu View Post
    ok....i guess i understand the fear of the pythons by florida people...but umm...gators? wtf? why are they not killing them? i would imagine a gator being more dangerous than a damned burmese.
    Our gator population shrank a few years back, now you need a permit to hunt them now. They should offer a training course on capturing these snakes, for a nominal fee, then offer a reward for any brought in, house them & transport them back to their native land. That's not asking much is it?
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    introduced or not they are still there as a result of some force which was not their fault by migration/movement of the natural species. which is why I say that it is their home. This is just another attempt in my opinion of this senator to try and get publicity for his bill to pass.
    I know you're new and all but I have a question. Maybe a couple of them.

1) Do you always ignore questions you don't like or don't have answers to?

2) Do you ever think before you post or is it more of disconnect between the brain and fingers thing, making outrageous statements because they sound great but have no substance at all?

3) Do you actually understand what it is you're....mad?....at?

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    Our gator population shrank a few years back, now you need a permit to hunt them now. They should offer a training course on capturing these snakes, for a nominal fee, then offer a reward for any brought in, house them & transport them back to their native land. That's not asking much is it?
    Do you have some secret funding plan?

Fla. is pretty good about their animal control. My guess is that there would be permits and training for those taking part officially.

As Wolfy so wisely said, and I paraphrase here, they aren't native and don't belong. A hunt makes sense.

People making loud noises without cause are every bit as bad as those saying foolish or uneducated things.

Think about it zoomie. Are you another noise maker or are you just foolish and uneducated?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

DM1975 (07-16-2009)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast