Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,216

4 members and 3,212 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,564
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids and snakes

Thanks

Kids and snakes

Here's a story of something that I did today that made me feel accomplished

Today, my friend's younger sister (8 y/o) came over with him to my house. He's my neighbor and he comes over to handle my snakes all of the time, and this time he brought his sister with him. His sister is very scared of snakes, so I decided to teach her some things about them. I got out my BP, Candice, to show her how all snakes aren't mean. Candice was the PERFECT example of a nice snake. She's great with people. Anyways, I was holding Candice's head while my friend's sister was petting the snake (I guess it made her feel more comfortable). After a little bit of petting, she wanted to hold her but she wasn't too sure. So I held half of Candice's body and she held the other half (tail end). After that, she held Candice but was a little frightened because Candice kept wanting to smell her hands, but that's just what snakes do. After I was showing her that Candice wouldn't bite or harm her by me petting her head, my friend's sister started petting Candice's head and then after a while she got used to Candice smelling her. After she handled Candice, she held my Dumeril's boa, my Corn snake, and my other BP. She isn't afraid of snakes anymore, in fact, she LOVES them now.

After this happened today, I feel like I want to teach kids that all snakes aren't bad because many kids just think of snakes as scary, mean monsters. They really aren't, they have just heard of the negative things people say about snakes. I think if more people were informed about the positive side of snakes, there wouldn't be so much fear.
    Tiff'z Morphz

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

chapskis1 (07-12-2009),dc4teg (07-11-2009),mainbutter (07-11-2009),minguela (07-11-2009),TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-11-2009),Vypyrz (07-11-2009)

Thanks

Re: Kids and snakes

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonLOVER View Post
    Here's a story of something that I did today that made me feel accomplished

Today, my friend's younger sister (8 y/o) came over with him to my house. He's my neighbor and he comes over to handle my snakes all of the time, and this time he brought his sister with him. His sister is very scared of snakes, so I decided to teach her some things about them. I got out my BP, Candice, to show her how all snakes aren't mean. Candice was the PERFECT example of a nice snake. She's great with people. Anyways, I was holding Candice's head while my friend's sister was petting the snake (I guess it made her feel more comfortable). After a little bit of petting, she wanted to hold her but she wasn't too sure. So I held half of Candice's body and she held the other half (tail end). After that, she held Candice but was a little frightened because Candice kept wanting to smell her hands, but that's just what snakes do. After I was showing her that Candice wouldn't bite or harm her by me petting her head, my friend's sister started petting Candice's head and then after a while she got used to Candice smelling her. After she handled Candice, she held my Dumeril's boa, my Corn snake, and my other BP. She isn't afraid of snakes anymore, in fact, she LOVES them now.

After this happened today, I feel like I want to teach kids that all snakes aren't bad because many kids just think of snakes as scary, mean monsters. They really aren't, they have just heard of the negative things people say about snakes. I think if more people were informed about the positive side of snakes, there wouldn't be so much fear.
    very nice!! i live with my sister and her husband and my nephew and the nephew likes to bring his friends over to hold some of my snakes... i just have to sanitize their hands cause they are10 year old kids and they will grab ne thing lol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to irishanaconda For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (07-11-2009)

Thanks

A little to go along with this story:
    We have a pet store here that has alot of animals. Snakes, hamster, gerbals, lizards, bunnys, rats, birds, fish, and salt water fish. Well with all the animals alot of groups of kids come in and get to see and handle the animals. Well none of the kids ever want to hold the snakes at all. And everytime we go they no that my little one that is 9 wants to hold ALL the snakes. Well today we went in to get a rat for her BP and there was a church group there and as always no one wanted to hold the snakes. So one of the handlers there said her Sara (my little one) come over here. So she went over and was holding a 4ft. red tail and when the kids seen here holding them and walking around with them they wanted to. So with a little help from my 9 yr old they had alot of happy kids that get to tell there parents they got to hold a snake!
    SAVING THE WORLD 1 RAT AT A TIME

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Friday2214 For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (07-11-2009),TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-11-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Friday2214 View Post
    A little to go along with this story:
    We have a pet store here that has alot of animals. Snakes, hamster, gerbals, lizards, bunnys, rats, birds, fish, and salt water fish. Well with all the animals alot of groups of kids come in and get to see and handle the animals. Well none of the kids ever want to hold the snakes at all. And everytime we go they no that my little one that is 9 wants to hold ALL the snakes. Well today we went in to get a rat for her BP and there was a church group there and as always no one wanted to hold the snakes. So one of the handlers there said her Sara (my little one) come over here. So she went over and was holding a 4ft. red tail and when the kids seen here holding them and walking around with them they wanted to. So with a little help from my 9 yr old they had alot of happy kids that get to tell there parents they got to hold a snake!
    Wow that's exciting! I'm always the one to go hold snakes whenever possible lol. If I'm in a store, and there are snakes around me, I'm holding one in 2 seconds lol. That's a great story by the way(:
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

I agree, it's fun showing poeple how cool snakes are, and since I work at a reptile store I get to do it all the time
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulihzack For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonLOVER View Post
    She isn't afraid of snakes anymore, in fact, she LOVES them now.
    Awww, that's heartwarming. Well done!

Any time I've seen snakes presented to kids as part of a pet/animal presentation, most kids are eager to touch the snakes. A visit from the local Humane Society to the preschool our kids attended was one such example. I had 5 or 6 willing kids sitting on a bench, with "Mrs. Pretzel" (BP) stretched out on their laps. A Kodak moment! I developed my own love of snakes at the age of 7 or 8, before I had the chance to develop the fear of them that most people have, thank goodness.

So, since you now want to teach more kids about snakes, perhaps you can do something like what the Humane Society lady did here.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Patricia For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulihzack View Post
    I agree, it's fun showing poeple how cool snakes are, and since I work at a reptile store I get to do it all the time
    Lol I seriously want to work where you work one day. I would so enjoy that job since I'm always telling my friends different things about snakes daily and I love seeing all the reptiles at that reptile store lol. They are so awesome
    Tiff'z Morphz

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

Hulihzack (07-11-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Awww, that's heartwarming. Well done!

Any time I've seen snakes presented to kids as part of a pet/animal presentation, most kids are eager to touch the snakes. A visit from the local Humane Society to the preschool our kids attended was one such example. I had 5 or 6 willing kids sitting on a bench, with "Mrs. Pretzel" (BP) stretched out on their laps. A Kodak moment! I developed my own love of snakes at the age of 7 or 8, before I had the chance to develop the fear of them that most people have, thank goodness.

So, since you now want to teach more kids about snakes, perhaps you can do something like what the Humane Society lady did here.
    I really want to try to go to schools and classes and bring a few of my snakes with me to show the kids. I think that would be so much fun since I love telling people about snakes and I find snakes an interesting to talk about with to anyone because I have so much to say even if I'm a little shy talking to the person I will just go on and on xD
    Tiff'z Morphz

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

That's great!

I love showing my snakes off. I just introduced a friend's five year old to snakes last week. He went from shy to loving them. In fact, I got him a male ball python I can't wait to give it to him! (of course his mom knows and approves!).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherLeadingBrand View Post
    That's great!

I love showing my snakes off. I just introduced a friend's five year old to snakes last week. He went from shy to loving them. In fact, I got him a male ball python I can't wait to give it to him! (of course his mom knows and approves!).
    Wow that's really awesome and really nice! If I were that kid, I would so enjoy that present lol. I bet he would absolutely love it!
    Tiff'z Morphz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast