Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,293

1 members and 3,292 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: Should we continue to use Thanks, along with Rep?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, keep them both

124 77.50%
  • No, turn Thanks off

36 22.50%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Reputation -- Alive and Well!!

Ever since the Thanks came up, I had noticed the Reputation tab die a lot.. Made me kind of sad to see too, as it was a neat system.

I think, like Pat said, thanks are more to nice posts where reputation should be to extremely useful posts. It's more important to me when I see someone has a high rep then when they have a lot of thanks.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I like both systems, and use them for different purposes, similar to what others have already said.

However, I like the rep system better, and the thanks system seems to have pretty much stopped the use of the rep system, which I think is a big loss to the site. When I was a newbie here, I really liked being able to check the rep of a person to have some idea of how much I should trust the advice they were giving. It isn't perfect, but the thanks system is worse, because it is easy for someone to get a large number of thanks just by posting "nice snake" on every picture thread.

IF we can find a way to have both and get the rep system being used more actively again, I'd like that. But if thanks is going to continue to overshadow rep and make the rep system mostly disappear, I'd rather go back to the old way.

Is it possible to make the rep button bigger, like the thanks button is, so more people would notice and use it? Perhaps even the same button could be used to access both systems, and it would pop up a dialogue asking if you want to give thanks, positive rep, or negative rep?
    Casey

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    Is it possible to make the rep button bigger, like the thanks button is, so more people would notice and use it? Perhaps even the same button could be used to access both systems, and it would pop up a dialogue asking if you want to give thanks, positive rep, or negative rep?
    It is bigger now, bigger than the Thanks button. I don't think that they can be placed side by side, and not sure if there's delivered functionality to merge the two together with one button. Hacks make upgrades more difficult to implement.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    It is bigger now, bigger than the Thanks button. I don't think that they can be placed side by side, and not sure if there's delivered functionality to merge the two together with one button. Hacks make upgrades more difficult to implement.
    Hmmm, on my screen, it is still showing up as the same icon it always was, and that is quite a bit smaller than the thanks icon. Perhaps it depends on which skin you are using? I am just using the default (I think, since I've never changed it).

EDIT - nevermind, my husband told me to hit control-refresh, and it fixed it to the new button.
    Casey

Thanks

Is there any way to search for posts that have earned you reputation points? I don't really know where I was given points and I'd like to read what people had to say when giving them.

I like the new rep buttons too
    *Maybe put this next to the thank button and have the scales still there to show someones rep or something
    Last edited by ev477; 07-12-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: *addition
    Evan
    0.0.1 Sinaloan Milk Snake (Vegas)
    0.0.1 Colombian Boa Constrictor (Ticuna)
    Feel free to correct me on my grammar.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Go in user CP and you should be able to see the last 15 threads for which you earned a rep point.

It will show the name of the thread, the date, the name of the user who left the rep point and comment if any.

Quote Originally Posted by ev477 View Post
    Is there any way to search for posts that have earned you reputation points? I don't really know where I was given points and I'd like to read what people had to say when giving them.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Have you considered leaving the "Thanks" system in, but removing the little sentence saying "Thanked __ Times In __ Posts"? I like the Thanks system because it's nice when threads aren't clogged with one-line posts saying "thank you" or "I agree with ____"... But having the number of thanks listed below your username might be misleading. Say that someone owns a lot of animals and takes pictures of them every day to post, but isn't very helpful when it comes to answering questions or giving advice. But if this person gets 100 thank you's for pictures, and someone else gets 100 thank you's for writing long, thoughtful posts and trying very hard to help people with their setups, how does it make sense that these two people can be compared with the number of thanks they have?

Also, if the "Thanked __ Times" was removed, maybe people would be more inclined to use the rep button for the useful, though-out post rather than hit that easy "thanks" button and leave it at that.

Thanks

Maybe the thanks could be tied into the rep. For instance for every five or ten thanks you get you earn one rep point.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    I use both for different purposes.

I use thanks for people sayin nice things about my pictures...or posting a helpful link.

I use Rep for someone who goes above and beyond saying something nice, or posting something helpful.

I think that they are two sepearte enities and used for their own purposes.
    ^^^^ Ditto!!!!!^^^^^^^

I only use rep points for the people I see being helpful rime and time again, or if they have that good of a point (it has to be very special not just a good post)

I like the use of neg rep points for the folks that say things that are really that nasty or dis-tasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post
    Iwould say keep the thanks and also do something with the rep for say sales or trading snakes within members on the site. Helps people pick out who's good and who isnt to deal with
    Do you want to do business with a person that is a general turd?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherLeadingBrand View Post
    Yes! I use both pretty often! However, I don't ever give bad reputation. I wouldn't mind if you turned off negative reputation, as is the case on every other forum I'm on. Also, I want the edit/delete post buttons too!
    Like I have said I like the neg rep points. It helps keep people in line. After receiving a few neg rep points I changed some of the things I was saying, I like this site and want to be welcome. Neg rep points let the people know that what they are saying is not welcome by every one.

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Thank you all very much for your input so far! As for the questions asked about edit buttons...that system will remain unchanged. We like to allow a small window of time (about 10 minutes) for a member to fix a typo, a slip of the tongue, or add a quick missed thought. BUT...we don't want members going back and editing a post in a conflict and then saying, "See, I never said that!" Not that most would do that...but enough would that it is a genuine concern.

Besides...it's hard enough to keep up with all the new posts. I personally, wouldn't have time to go back and read OLD posts on the off chance that someone had gone back and edited it to add something new. When you make a new post, it refreshes the thread and everyone interested in it will know you've posted something new and will be far more likely to read it than if you went back and edited an old post.

I always wondered why there was a time limit on the edit button

I never thought of it like that, now I totally understand why.

Thanks for all that you guys do. Please keep both systems as I use both quite often.

Mike
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snakecharmer3638 View Post
    Maybe the thanks could be tied into the rep. For instance for every five or ten thanks you get you earn one rep point.
    The downside to this, is that people could easily reach a high reputation level only by posting “nice snake” or “ nice picture” which ultimately would make the reputation system meaningless.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

hoax (07-15-2009),Kaorte (07-13-2009)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast