Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,279

1 members and 3,278 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: Should we continue to use Thanks, along with Rep?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, keep them both

124 77.50%
  • No, turn Thanks off

36 22.50%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Reputation -- Alive and Well!!

Yes! I use both pretty often! However, I don't ever give bad reputation. I wouldn't mind if you turned off negative reputation, as is the case on every other forum I'm on. Also, I want the edit/delete post buttons too!

Thanks

I personally like both, but I'm still more in favor of getting rid of the "Thanks" button. It's nice and all, but I feel as though the rep button holds more weight in the long run.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid View Post
    I personally like both, but I'm still more in favor of getting rid of the "Thanks" button. It's nice and all, but I feel as though the rep button holds more weight in the long run.
    I pretty much agree with this... it's nice to have, but it doesn't seem to hold the same value when getting an impression from someone's reply or post. (in my mind, it doesnt)

Like some have said, an 'I agree' button would work too, either way... the reps have definitely gone on the way side.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    I use both for different purposes.

I use thanks for people sayin nice things about my pictures...or posting a helpful link.

I use Rep for someone who goes above and beyond saying something nice, or posting something helpful.

I think that they are two sepearte enities and used for their own purposes.
    good point, i agree

1.1 Het Albino BP
    1.0 Banded king
    1.1 Amelanistic Het Anerythristic Corns
    1.1 Het Albino Western Hognose
    0.1 Garter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    I use both for different purposes.

I use thanks for people sayin nice things about my pictures...or posting a helpful link.

I use Rep for someone who goes above and beyond saying something nice, or posting something helpful.

I think that they are two sepearte enities and used for their own purposes.
    he says it all right there
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 771subliminal For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-11-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank you all very much for your input so far! As for the questions asked about edit buttons...that system will remain unchanged. We like to allow a small window of time (about 10 minutes) for a member to fix a typo, a slip of the tongue, or add a quick missed thought. BUT...we don't want members going back and editing a post in a conflict and then saying, "See, I never said that!" Not that most would do that...but enough would that it is a genuine concern.

Besides...it's hard enough to keep up with all the new posts. I personally, wouldn't have time to go back and read OLD posts on the off chance that someone had gone back and edited it to add something new. When you make a new post, it refreshes the thread and everyone interested in it will know you've posted something new and will be far more likely to read it than if you went back and edited an old post.

-- Judy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

hoax (07-13-2009)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh...and one more thing I'd like to add. There's no "right" or "wrong"....or "should haves" involved with either system. Taking the time to type out a genuine thanks is ALWAYS appreciated! Use either system however it seems best to you....so long as negative reps are only given out when most needed. Unfair neg reps can be appealed to staff and changed....and if a member continually abuses the neg rep system, they can lose the ability to give reps at all.

Heh....I guess that's two things.
    -- Judy

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

hoax (07-13-2009),TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-11-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    BUT...we don't want members going back and editing a post in a conflict and then saying, "See, I never said that!"
    That's why you always quote the insanity lest it be removed by the person who posted it. That's what is done over on a crafting board I frequent.

Yes, I understand, and thanks for the reply re. the edit button. Guess I'd never noticed before that it's available for only a few minutes after the post is made.

I don't know if it would be too off-topic to post the initial query post in other areas of this forum (or perhaps link to it here?), but there are probably people active in those areas who haven't yet seen it here, or who don't come to this section. You might get more feedback.

BTW, JLC, are you the head honcho around here? If so, just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for creating this forum. It's by far the most informative I've seen, and has helped me (and our wee snakey) over unfamiliar territory so very much this past week.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Patricia For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-11-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    BTW, JLC, are you the head honcho around here? If so, just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for creating this forum. It's by far the most informative I've seen, and has helped me (and our wee snakey) over unfamiliar territory so very much this past week.
    Judy, Nate, Emily (mledeede) and myself (names in red) are the four co-owners/Admins of this site, and those sporting green (not going to attempt to name them all for fear of leaving someone out) are our awesome Mods!

So glad to hear that this site has helped you and your snake! Hope you'll enjoy your stay here!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Judy, Nate, Emily (mledeede) and myself (names in red) are the four co-owners/Admins of this site, and those sporting green (not going to attempt to name them all for fear of leaving someone out) are our awesome Mods!
    ^^^ What she said!

We can't take credit for creating the site, though. A young man who goes by "TheGodfather" created it in the fall of 2003, and gave it over to the original admin team in the spring of 2004. Since then, there have been changes in the admin team from time to time, but we are all always equally committed to keeping the site running and growing and educating!

Very glad you like it!
    -- Judy

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast