Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,177

0 members and 3,177 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

View Poll Results: Should we continue to use Thanks, along with Rep?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, keep them both

124 77.50%
  • No, turn Thanks off

36 22.50%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Reputation -- Alive and Well!!

Hey folks!

This is sort of a reminder for old-timers and an intro for newer folks who may not be aware. At this time, we have two different methods set up so that YOU can show your appreciation for someone's posts. The newer way is the more visible system called "Thanks" that I think most everyone is aware of.

The older system we have in place is called Reputation (or Rep). A person's rep score is visible only by the little green boxes that show up in the field below your avatar in each post. Everyone starts out with 10 rep points and one green box. Each time you reach 100 rep points gained, you get another green box. Unlike the "Thanks" system, everyone who can give a rep point can also take away a rep point.

This system is intended to be used to show appreciation for exceptional posts...or to show dismay at an exceptionally poor post. Negative reps should never be given out for common annoyances or in retaliation for anything. All comments left in the reputation field must comply with the site's TOS/Rules.

To leave a reputation point/comment for a particular post, look under the person's avatar. There used to be a little icon shaped like scales...but we've decided that was a little too obscure, so I've put up a new button. If you still see the scales instead of the new button, simply do a shift-refresh to clear out old cached images. Either will work fine, though.

Ever since implementing the "Thanks" system, the reputation system has become used less and less. But it is still an important encouragement for many members. SO...we've revamped the system a bit to hopefully make the gain of reputation points a little faster and easier. One, by making the new button more visible and relevant...two, by allowing even the newest members to leave rep scores...three, by increasing the number of points a person gives, based on long-term membership and high post counts. We've also done some other little tweaks to help. But, of course, the system will only work if YOU use it.

Now we come down to a decision that we want the membership's input on. Do we want to continue using the "Thanks" feature, with the constant potential of it always overshadowing the Reputation system? Or should we turn off the Thanks feature and just go with Reps?

I know some will wonder why we don't have an option of turning off the Reps and keeping the Thanks...or turning off both of them altogether...but that is because the staff has already decided that the Rep system is a very strong encouragement and we want to keep it. Simple as that.

So think about it and vote...and enjoy the site!

DISCLAIMER: As always, when we make these kinds of changes, they are subject to review and change as necessary, especially if the system is abused too much.
    -- Judy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (07-13-2009),mainbutter (07-11-2009)

Thanks

Re: Reputation -- Alive and Well!!

I use both for different purposes.

I use thanks for people sayin nice things about my pictures...or posting a helpful link.

I use Rep for someone who goes above and beyond saying something nice, or posting something helpful.

I think that they are two sepearte enities and used for their own purposes.

Thanks

Definitely agree with Pattimus on this one here.
    Keep them both, they can both be used for different things.

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

I voted both
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Iwould say keep the thanks and also do something with the rep for say sales or trading snakes within members on the site. Helps people pick out who's good and who isnt to deal with

Thanks

I like them both. Very valuable tools...

Thanks

Thanks for explaining that. I've been reading through forum info and it seemed like those scales/green squares weren't being used, so I assumed they shouldn't be clicked.

So, when should each be used? (Since it seems that most posts here are helpful.)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Thanks for explaining that. I've been reading through forum info and it seemed like those scales/green squares weren't being used, so I assumed they shouldn't be clicked.

So, when should each be used? (Since it seems that most posts here are helpful.)
    It's completely up to your discretion when you choose to use the reputation button.

We WOULD like to bring attention to them and encourage people to use it more often, especially for positive rep points, because it really does encourage the receiver to get them!

Thanks

Um, I was going to add this to my post rather than create a separate post, but my "edit" button seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, being a newbie asking a ton of questions and getting a ton of help, I've said "thank you" in my replies many times. I guess I should have clicked the "Thanks" button instead, and "Reputation" for super-duper helpful replies. I like how those green squares accumulate. Reminds me of the rattle on a rattlesnake.

(Can we get that Edit button back?)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Patricia For This Useful Post:

hoax (07-13-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Um, I was going to add this to my post rather than create a separate post, but my "edit" button seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, being a newbie asking a ton of questions and getting a ton of help, I've said "thank you" in my replies many times. I guess I should have clicked the "Thanks" button instead, and "Reputation" for super-duper helpful replies. I like how those green squares accumulate. Reminds me of the rattle on a rattlesnake.

(Can we get that Edit button back?)
    The edit button stays visible for 10 minutes. After that, it's no longer available.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast