Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,167

1 members and 3,166 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: anyone keep snappers?

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprout View Post
    I do keep common snapper, and feed him with cat food... sometimes gold fish...

if you want to keep a snapper, you have to maintain their food otherwise be prepared for larger aquarium
    Is that an actual American or an Alligator snapping turtle.
    I am wondering as I just received a call from someone who claims to have a two year old male "Alligator snapper" that wandered into his place of business two years ago. Yet we live in CT (not a big thrill for ally snaps too live here). I told him to send me pics as he explained that in captivity the turtle started forming sharp scutes along the "spine" area. Which leaves me to wonder if snappers (American) can pyramid under private care.
    So if your lil guy pictured above is an actual American then it all makes sense.

Anyhow I am tired and my brain is too challenged..lol

As for keeping snappers in private care I would only recommend it for advanced turtle keepers. They are dirty, bitey and oh did I say dirty?
    When we have them in rescue they are individually kept in those pre made plastic pond "shells". But be careful I have had some bite through heaters, and Canister filter tubes. They can be tricky. (Oh and there is that whole could lose a finger thing..lol)
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

aren't alligator snappers federally protected now?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CTReptileRescue View Post
    Is that an actual American or an Alligator snapping turtle.
    It's a common snapping turtle, not an alligator snapping turtle.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Right now in my town in Michigan were having a turtle over population. Theirs snappers/painters from small to HUGE crossing the roads. Just today i counted over 10 ran over and 3 crossing the road. Which i ended up putting back int the swamp. I live near a 1200 acre marsh/swamp. For some reason these snappers ran over were on the side of the road, which means ppl are swerving over to run them over which is bad.

When it warms up again im going to get some pictures for ya guys if i can find some.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Thank you. I just have never seen any Americans with their shells raised as such. When we rehab (mostly poor things hit by cars) they have a smooth carapace. I just have an issue believing that an Alligator snapper walked into an office building in CT as a baby two years ago..lol

Well I am just waiting on pics.. I apologize if I hijacked this thread..
    I will start a new one if this all comes into rescue.
    Again in my opinion snapping turtles whether Allys or Americans are very difficult to keep. The only reason is what they truly can become (weight and size wise). And how horribly messy they can be. They are some of the dirtiest (if not the #1 dirtiest) turtles I have had into rescue.
    Sincerely
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    I've photographed and watched them in the wild.They can snap off a broom handle with their teeth; I can attest to that. I'd treat them with absoulte caution for this reason; I would think that you'd need a properly-enclosed outdoor pond that they could not burrow out of; unless you had a tank with a huge floor area; since I have seen snappers that exceeded 14 inches in length..! I will try to dig-up the photos that I took of a huge one that my husband foolishly picked up (hey, it was awhile ago.. lol.)

i've personally seen a snapper that was around 3 feet long not counting the head and Tail.

i'd never want to own one because they are quite vicious, at least from what i've observed in the wild.
    Ken

1.0 Western Hognose - Khan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Hi, Again I apologize for hijacking if I am. But (and I don't ever want to offend anyone) But if the snapping turtle you pictured is yours. I can definitely ID it as an Alligator Snapping Turtle. I don’t mean to be rude.
    You also happened to mention:
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprout View Post
    I do keep common snapper, and feed him with cat food... sometimes gold fish...

if you want to keep a snapper, you have to maintain their food otherwise be prepared for larger aquarium
    I am not sure what it is that you are trying to imply but if you put an elephant in a dog crate and “you have to maintain their food otherwise be prepared for larger aquarium”
    The animal will always grow. You are just stunting it’s natural growth. An Elephant can live in a dog crate with regulated food. But if it is never fed properly or housed properly it will die an early death. (Natural husbandry is key)

I in no way am trying to target anyone (And I apologize if I have) And I always try and stay clear of drama here but that is just how I feel and what I have witnessed for quite some time now… again I am very passionate about our reptile friends.

I hope everyone understands,
    Sincerely,
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:

Thanks
    i realize this thread is old but that is NOT an alligator snapper. its a common snapper.

does anyone know who the alligator snapping turtle breeder is that will send you babys and when they get too large he will take them back and send you another baby? a teacher friend of mine wanted one for her class room.
    "you only regret the risks in life you DON'T take."

Thanks
    As a snapper owner (see sig ) I can confirm that the snapper in the picture is a common. When they are young like that one, the carapace is a bit more raised like an alligator snapper, but they are still unmistakable. If anything, the beak, and definitely the neck give it away.

In regards to the alligator breeder. I believe the breeder your are talking about is the turtleman, his website is the name with a .com at the end. Make sure you are familiar with your state laws when it comes to owning alligator snappers. I am in the same state as the turtleman, and I send a couple emails to him a while back. For Missouri, we have to have a federal permit that costs $50 per year to own the alligators.

Please, harass me enough so I can remember to post some pictures of my two year old snapper.

Also, Nobody is joking when they mention taking care of them. He is my only turtle (had a RES as a kid, but he's my only one now). at two, he is in a 180 wide tank, and eventually will have to have 300-400 gallons. Right now I'm having one heck of a time getting his filtration working properly, and I have two rena xp3's running. Looks like I'll have to save up for some eheims.
    _____________Khulric_____________
    1.0 Common Snapping Turtle
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.2 Ball pythons
    1.4 Western Hognose
    1.0 Dumerils Boa
    0.3 Leopard Geckos

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Virus For This Useful Post:

cecilbturtle (10-26-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cecilbturtle View Post
    i realize this thread is old but that is NOT an alligator snapper. its a common snapper.

does anyone know who the alligator snapping turtle breeder is that will send you babys and when they get too large he will take them back and send you another baby? a teacher friend of mine wanted one for her class room.
    i don't remember the specific breeder, but I know I have found the site of one that offered the exact services you mention. I remember he sold albinos too if that helps. But remember, one it is "too big" how are you going to ship it back?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew00 For This Useful Post:

cecilbturtle (10-26-2011)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast