Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,080

0 members and 3,080 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Mouse & ASF - will they kill each other?

OK strange question I am sure...

However whenever I hold the kids mouse and go into the snake it is ALWAYS very interested in the mouse smell..... Obviously I don't want to feed the kids pet George to the snake... however I have a live ASF that needs to get eaten already... If he doesn't get eaten this time I'm gonna have to whack him because he has eaten a large hole in the snake enclosure that he will most certainly be able to get out of if he nibbles much more on it.

So I was wondering if I put the mouse and ASF together for a bit (to get mouse smell on ASF) if they would kill each other? I would supervise but I don't wanna bother trying if you know they would go at it.

Then if Meerah ate the ASF with mouse smell I would consider trying a mouse for feeding even though its smaller than she needs, just to get her eating again.

Thanks in advance for the input!
    ~Una
    0.2 Normal BP - Meerah & Tink
    0.0.1 Aberrant Albino Cali King Snake - "No Name"
    1.0 JCP - Lucky
    0.1 RTB - Leelah

Thanks

Re: Mouse & ASF - will they kill each other?

I'm not an expert but I would think your mouse would be rat food real quick.
    ***Tony S.***

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snakecharmer3638 For This Useful Post:

OFRD_GRL (07-10-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Just put some of the old mouse bedding in a critter cage and let the asf sit in it for awhile.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

OFRD_GRL (07-10-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OFRD_GRL View Post
    If he doesn't get eaten this time I'm gonna have to whack him because he has eaten a large hole in the snake enclosure that he will most certainly be able to get out of if he nibbles much more on it.

I'm curious - how long are you leaving an ASF in with your snake if it's chewed a hole in the snake's tub? You don't remove it after 30 minutes if it's been refused?

As the poster before me suggested, use some used mouse bedding and let the ASF sit in it.

I've also taken used mouse bedding when converting a mouser to regular rats, put a handful inside the snake's tub, and when the snake started "hunting" looking for the mouse, I dropped in the rat. Worked like a charm.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

OFRD_GRL (07-10-2009)

Thanks

Are you leaving the LIVE asf in the snakes enclosure, unmonitored for hours at a time? That is a very risky thing to do, and snakes have been killed by live feeders left in the cage.

What was the snake fed before?ASF's, rats, mice? Stick with what he was fed before hand, unless you are willing to work at switching him to a new prey item, which tests patience and takes work.

Check out our sticky section in the feeders, there is a post on how to make a rat holding tub, and is always good to have on hand to hold live rats in if it is refused by the snake.

Please dont mix species, and please dont leave a live feeder in with a snake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Are you leaving the LIVE asf in the snakes enclosure, unmonitored for hours at a time? That is a very risky thing to do, and snakes have been killed by live feeders left in the cage.

What was the snake fed before?ASF's, rats, mice? Stick with what he was fed before hand, unless you are willing to work at switching him to a new prey item, which tests patience and takes work.

Check out our sticky section in the feeders, there is a post on how to make a rat holding tub, and is always good to have on hand to hold live rats in if it is refused by the snake.

Please dont mix species, and please dont leave a live feeder in with a snake.
    Not unmonitored... always monitored (I am in the room watching TV and always looking at the enclosure, which is clear. But I am not going to take the rat out because it's chewing on the enclosure (and can't get free) when my snake seems somewhat interested. Especially since I'm building a better snake enclosure anyways. And it is not chewing on the snake, let alone going near it.

The snake was fed frozen medium/large rats before. Tried that a few times with no luck. Downsized rat and tried freshly killed. Resorted to the advice from this forum and went to live ASF. She is much more interested in this than anything I tried before, however hasn't struck it yet.

I DO have a holder tub, if you search my threads you will even see it with pictures. So please do not assume the rat is living with my snake, or that I am an idiot regarding my snakes well being.

However thank you for the advice I asked about: "Please dont mix species"
    ~Una
    1.0 JCP - Lucky
    0.1 RTB - Leelah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I'm curious - how long are you leaving an ASF in with your snake if it's chewed a hole in the snake's tub? You don't remove it after 30 minutes if it's been refused?

As the poster before me suggested, use some used mouse bedding and let the ASF sit in it.

I've also taken used mouse bedding when converting a mouser to regular rats, put a handful inside the snake's tub, and when the snake started "hunting" looking for the mouse, I dropped in the rat. Worked like a charm.
    Thanks for the bedding idea, I will try that.

I leave it in for about an hour at most. But the hole that the temp probe comes through (which was already larger than a breather hole) it sits and and chews open more each time it is in there. I would say the hole was about 3/4 inch to begin with and is maybe 1 inch now after chewing...
    ~Una
    1.0 JCP - Lucky
    0.1 RTB - Leelah

Thanks

No one should be expected to go searching through your past threads. I use what's written here, and you replied to the latter. No harm no foul.

It is alarming to read about a possibly dangerous situation, and I feel it's my duty to point it out for the sake of the animal.

Since there isn't a dangerous situation, then no problem.

Next thing I would advise is looking into the set up of your husbandry, and see if there is anything off that would lend the snake to refusal. And also, how long have you had the snake refuse?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

OFRD_GRL (07-10-2009)

Thanks

The snake has been refusing for about 2 months now. Temps are spot on (cool & hot side - both have a hide). Humidity was a little high at first, but is golden now (55%). She wasn't using her hides when she had paper towel substrate (over a month ago), switched to deep aspen shavings and she uses her hides and doesn't seem stressed at all. Have tried leaving her completely alone w/ the exception of giving her water and making sure the bedding was still clean. Moved her enclosure to a more private area, less light and less traffic.

She is in a 36" x 18" x 6" tall sterilite tub (not sure Qt offhand)
    ~Una
    1.0 JCP - Lucky
    0.1 RTB - Leelah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OFRD_GRL View Post
    The snake has been refusing for about 2 months now. Temps are spot on (cool & hot side - both have a hide). Humidity was a little high at first, but is golden now (55%). She wasn't using her hides when she had paper towel substrate (over a month ago), switched to deep aspen shavings and she uses her hides and doesn't seem stressed at all. Have tried leaving her completely alone w/ the exception of giving her water and making sure the bedding was still clean. Moved her enclosure to a more private area, less light and less traffic.

She is in a 36" x 18" x 6" tall sterilite tub (not sure Qt offhand)
    I had some snakes refusing to eat in a freedom breeder style (open sides, back, and front) rack. I moved them into a closed rack system (closed on sides, back, top and bottom,) and they started eating right away. Is your tub closed on the sides?

The tubs were also smaller. You could try putting the ball into a smaller tub. I put one of my ball pythons that was refusing in a 32 quart tub into a 6 quart tub, and he started eating right away. I kept him in there for three weeks, and he ate every time offered. I then moved him into a 28 quart, and he stopped eating again... He also will not use a hide.

Hope this helped, and keep us updated.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

OFRD_GRL (07-10-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast