Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,523

2 members and 2,521 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Couple of questions from a new guy

Ok, I've got my first Ball Python and I've got a couple of questions.

I did quite a bit of lurking here before I got my snake. I'm very satisfied with my enclosure and the heating situation. My snake is a captive bred 3 year old male that I got from a hobby breeder. He's eating like a champ and has shed once.

On the downside, he bit me one of the first times I tried to handle him. So now I'm a little more timid than I wish I was when I try and handle him or move him.

I've just got a few questions. One, how often should I be handling him? Not to move him to clean the enclosure, but just to handle him and try and get him used to being handled?

And how often should I be cleaning the enclosure? Obviously if I see it needs cleaned, I will. But if the temps are good, he's got water and the enclosure looks clean, how often should I be taking out the hides and checking everything out? Is there a schedule you like to follow on cleaning out everything, and replacing the substrate? I'm using some unprinted newsprint and aspen.

And do you guys have any tips for taking him in and out of the enclosure and not getting bit? It seems like every time I have to take him out I'm afraid I'm going to get bit. Ugh.

Thanks

Re: Couple of questions from a new guy

From what I've read on here (I've yet to get my first BP) people just get used to the animal after a while. I'm sure you will too Just takes some getting used to. At least you've gotten your first bite out of the way!

Thanks

If you just got him you need to let him settle in for atleast a week before you try to handle him. He needs the time to adjust to his new sorroundings. As for him striking at you, that was most likely a defensive strike caused by him being scared. Don't let it get to you. Next time you handle be sure to be confident in your actions and also not move quickly. It also helps to put your hand flat and open palm in front of them to let them know you are there first. They don't take too kindly to surprises : ). After the first week start taking him out every couple of days for no more than 15 min max. Then once they get used to it you can take them out freely.
    As for the cleaning, just spot clean whenever they defecate and clean out the entire cage (replace bedding sanitize hides etc) once a month. Also clean the water and refill it (not just refill it) every two days at least. No one likes bacteria buildup in their water.

if anyone has any corrections or other input feel free
    ~Nick
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Corn Snake
    1.2 Crested Geckos
    2.0 Chinchillas
    0.2 Degus

Thanks

Well, I've had him for a little while now. Enough for him to shed and start eating on a regular schedule.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout32 View Post
    As for the cleaning, just spot clean whenever they defecate and clean out the entire cage (replace bedding sanitize hides etc) once a month.
    Ok, that's just the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks.

Are you using anything specific to sanitize the hides and enclosure?

Mine seems to defecate in his enclosure, so I don't know it's there unless I take him out and take out the enclosure.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The enclosure should be cleaned once a week and spot cleaned every day. As for handleing, a couple times a week will be fine, some will strike if "snuck up on". Give him a little tap on the head with a hook, coat hanger, ect to let him know it is you and to make sure he is awake. Pick him up firmly from behind, he will get used to your touch and should be ok. Some are just bitters no matter what you do!

Thanks

Congrats on the new snake! I'm so sorry you got a tag... that can't be a good experience for a new-timer. I'm guessing he was abused at some point in his life or he had some really rough experience. Don't judge the species by this snake, most of them are friendly as anything. Heck, I've shoved tubes down my normal girl's throat and into her stomach and she didn't so much as hiss.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...85#post1092885
    Here's a biting poll. Well over 50% of ball owners have never been bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NEguywil View Post
    One, how often should I be handling him? Not to move him to clean the enclosure, but just to handle him and try and get him used to being handled?
    I handle mine every day (excluding feeding days and sheds), but I've had them for a while and they're totally comfortable with it.

The trick is to handle him enough to calm him down while not pushing him. I say start out with handling for a minute or two every day. Sixty seconds, literally. Take him out, no fast movements or loud noises, hold him for a little bit, and put him back. Say you handle him thus for three days. On the fourth day, handle him for five minutes. Very slowly, increase the amount of handling each day.

And how often should I be cleaning the enclosure? Obviously if I see it needs cleaned, I will. But if the temps are good, he's got water and the enclosure looks clean, how often should I be taking out the hides and checking everything out? Is there a schedule you like to follow on cleaning out everything, and replacing the substrate? I'm using some unprinted newsprint and aspen.
    Newspaper is so easy to clean, I replace it every week if it hasn't been defecated on. With aspen, monthly. I also bleach everything monthly.

Are you using anything specific to sanitize the hides and enclosure?
    Normally, I use a 10% bleach solution to soak everything (including the enclosure) for a few hours. Make sure to rinse thoroughly, bleach is toxic to reptiles. Also let it air dry to get rid of any extra fumes.

Recently, I have been trying out a product called "Healthy Habitat", which is a cleaning spray that causes no harm to reptiles. While it works okay, I'm not sure how it compares to bleach. I still bleach every other month, just to be safe.

Good luck with everything! I really hope he calms down for you!