Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,527

1 members and 2,526 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up USARK supports a Python hunt

This is an email I just received!! GREAT PROPS!!!! to USARK
    This Press release was written by Shawn Heflick and Andrew Wyatt. This morning it was submitted to the Associated Press, Washington Post, The Orlando Sentinel, ABC News and FOX News.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Pilot Program For Python Hunt

Wilmington, NC July 16, 2009- The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) supports a bounty on Burmese Pythons. Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has been working very closely with key reptile experts in Florida to develop and implement a pilot program for permitting a select group of 20 Florida reptile experts to participate in a trial program that will allow permitted experts to hunt Burmese Pythons on FWC and South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) areas. All participants must possess a valid Florida Reptiles of Concern permit and meet criteria laid down by FWC. Each Burmese Hunt Permittee will be allowed 5 additional hunters to accompany them into the field. Permitted individuals must carry GPS units and digital cameras, and supply data to FWC within 36 hours of capture. They will also be required to attempt to capture any other non-native species they come across during their hunts and call for permission from land managers into restricted areas before going into the field. Permitted individuals are free to take the specimens or euthanize them on site at their discretion.

FWC has worked very hard to step up and develop this program. They have worked very closely with the Florida Reptile Community in the development of this permit/program, and are eager to be part of the solution to this problem. Florida reptile experts spear-heading this effort with FWC are Shawn K. Heflick, Greg Graziani and Michael Cole.

The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) supports and applauds this effort by FWC and the Florida Reptile Community in taking concrete pragmatic steps in addressing the issue of feral Burmese Pythons in South Florida. USARK supports Senator Bill Nelson’s call for the US Dept. of Interior to open federal land where the epicenter of the population resides and is encouraging that this pilot program be considered as a model for a Federal Bounty Program. In a letter dated June 17, 2009 to Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar USARK pledged $10,000 to this proposal.

USARK President Andrew Wyatt added, “It is time all interested stakeholders work together to address this issue. The reptile community has been unjustly cast as the villain being accused as the source of the introduction of Burmese Pythons, when a genetics study commissioned by SFWD points away from this likelihood. We are not the source, but we want to be part of the solution; and we are putting our money where our mouth is. We have more expertise with Burmese Pythons than all other stakeholders combined and now we are bringing this expertise to bear in addressing this problem in South Florida.”

USARK is a science and education based advocacy for the responsible private ownership of, and trade in reptiles. We endorse caging standards, sound husbandry, escape prevention protocols, and an integrated approach to vital conservation issues. Our goal is to facilitate cooperation between government agencies, the scientific community, and the private sector in order to produce policy proposals that will effectively address important husbandry and conservation issues. The health of these animals, public safety, and maintaining ecological integrity are our primary concerns
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

dc4teg (07-18-2009),jsmorphs2 (07-16-2009),Kaorte (07-18-2009),Laooda (07-18-2009),Mike Cavanaugh (07-17-2009),rabernet (07-18-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: USARK supports a Python hunt

Good. I believe I suggested some herpers go down to help hunt out burms as a good PR strategy.

I wonder what sort of permit the "5 additonal" people would have to have? How far is that drive to the everglades? Hmm.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Good. I believe I suggested some herpers go down to help hunt out burms as a good PR strategy.

I wonder what sort of permit the "5 additonal" people would have to have? How far is that drive to the everglades? Hmm.
    Not sure but I do know this USARK has done a good thing.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks

Not sure how much good this will do.... The problem will never be controlled. Even if it is slowed down a bit, people can't win.
    Jeremy T.
    Owner of J and D Reptiles
    www.janddreptiles.com

Thanks

They covered the hunt on the 6:00 news tonight. Included a shot of Greg Graziani reaching down by a dock and grabbing one out of the water with help from Shawn. Pretty amazing!
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

People almost won against alligators, what makes you think they can't win against Burms?
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

I agree. I think with enough vigilance they could put a huge dent, if not devastate the population. It's sadly been done with other wildlife many times before, but this time it's for a good cause!
    Last edited by TheBallPython; 07-18-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JandDReptiles View Post
    Not sure how much good this will do.... The problem will never be controlled. Even if it is slowed down a bit, people can't win.
    People have created extinction amongst thousands of species in the wild. Burmese pythons will not be any more difficult than it was to exterminate alligators, wolves, and buffalo. If they can do it without harming the everglades itself though, is a whole new topic.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    They covered the hunt on the 6:00 news tonight. Included a shot of Greg Graziani reaching down by a dock and grabbing one out of the water with help from Shawn. Pretty amazing!
    Did that station post a video link of that story?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Did that station post a video link of that story?
    No, just a written story. I know a couple other stations had similar stories . . . .I'll check their websites.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast