Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

2 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Wobble

Thanks

Wobble

How does the wobble found in spiders pass genetically? Say I bred a normal to a wobbly spider; how many of the spider offspring would have wobbles? Would any of the normal offspring have wobbles?

Can spider combos such as bees wobble?

What are the drawbacks of a wobble?

Thanks

Re: Wobble

People say that all spiders wobble to some degree. I don't know if I agree with that, but a lot of spiders do wobble to a certian extent some time in their life. Some baby spiders will wobble, and then stop when they get older. Some baby spiders have no wobble, and then start when they get older. I wouldn't worry about the wobble in the spiders. If it bothers you though, buy one that doesn't have a wobble. Do keep in mind though that it may start down the road. It does not affect them in any other way though. They are among my best eaters / breeders, and they look amazing too.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It appears to be part of the spider mutation, just like the spider pattern. After many generations of outbreeding it still follows the spider mutation. Occasionally you will hear of a non spider wobbling but presumably that is some other random cause so I wouldn't expect any of the non spider siblings to wobble but I would expect all the spider offspring to at least have the tendency. Why some spiders do it more than others I don’t know but would be very interesting to find out as it might help minimize the effects.

Thanks

Okay, thanks guys!

Thanks

Hi, Everyone.
    I have a 600 gram spider female that I have never seen wobble.
    I also have a 400 gram Bumblebee male who has a very serious wobble. It's so bad at times he nearly ties his neck in a knot! He's a good eater, but he does have trouble targeting and seems to 'lose' his kill sometimes and gets a bit frantic trying to look for it. I have noticed that if he is in a larger space his wobble is better. -Especially space over his head. Has anyone else noticed this?

D

Thanks

we have 8 spiders and i have noticed a wobble on many of them and they are some of my best eaters. so i feel that it does not affect them at all.

0.1 mini weiner dog (the doodle)
    too many balls to list!!!!

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

My male has a minor wobble. To my observation, I think that this may be an inner-ear problem that affects balance. He lists his head very slightly to one side, as well as quivering rather violently when stalking prey. He is prone to miss prey when he strikes, but, undaunted, he simply turns right around and grabs it, lol. I have noticed that he will take longer to right himself when his head is inverted.

As others have observed with spiders, he's a very good feeder, and also has an excellent temperment.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Well, I'm all for good feeders! I just got my normal girl on f/t, so I'm super excited about no more live mice, and I hope it stays that way for a while!

Thanks for the input, everyone! I've found a few great deals on spiders on Fauna that I think I might get. They are truly beautiful, definitely among my favorite morphs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

The other trait that seems to go along with the wobble is poor striking from what i've noticed. I can put the prey about 2 inches in front of my girl's face and she will miss and almost tag my hand. We're talkin f/t prey on tongs here.
    She's a gorgeous girl who does have a bit of a wobble, but it doesn't seem to have any ill effects on her everyday behavior.
    --Walt