Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,240

1 members and 3,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Should I be concerned

Hey Guys I'm looking for either some advice or reassurance...
    I have Male Lesser Pastel that is just over a year old that up until recently never met a meal he didnt like. On 5/2 He ate a rat but I havent been able to get him to eat anything since then. I have him weighting 996 grams (empty)on 3/31 now hes down to 914grams I know this isnt a huge loss but it concerns me nonetheless.I've tried Rats,Rat pups,mice,and soft furs so far nothing has gotten his attention.So heres my question,What do I do? At what point should I truly be concerned?
    Thanks
    Matt

Thanks

Re: Should I be concerned

What size enclosure is he in?

The weight loss isn't bad at all; I would start to get concerned when the snake doesn't "look" good. Nobody knows your snake as good as you.

I've had success getting fasting males to eat by switching them from 32qt tubs to 15qt tubs until I get them eating again for a couple weeks.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

I would not worry to much...I have a particular male who will fast 3-6 months a year! The first year I was freaking out, but the last couple it just seems like thats what he does. He has always bounced back eating fine. I have a couple other males who will fast 1-2 months a year. I would wait a few weeks until you feed him again. And then try your normal routine.

Happy Bday by the way!
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks

Hello Matt,

Have you tried putting him on any females? Sometimes males will stop eating if they are ready to start reproducing. I have several males including the male that sired yours that stop eating during breeding season and then some. The sire of your Lesser has been breeding like a machine for the last 6 months and not eaten once. He has done this 2 years in a row. He eats when he is ready.

Thanks

Sorry Matt...after rereading your post you are talking about your Lesser Pastel not the lesser you purchased from me. Anyhow, information still applies. Hope he turns back on soon for you. Oh,not to mention you picked up a female Lesser from me. Should have read that post a little better the first time around. Anyhow, how is the female doing?
    Last edited by dean38; 07-02-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    What size enclosure is he in?
    Spaniard He was in a 29 Gallon Tank but upon you advice I swithed him to on empty tub I had in my Rack.I worked like a charm and He took a mouse like 2 ways later!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerhart View Post

Happy Bday by the way!
    Jerhart Thanks for the B-day wishes! Now if my girlfriend would have took my advice and got me something that slithers....

Quote Originally Posted by dean38 View Post
    Sorry Matt...after rereading your post you are talking about your Lesser Pastel not the lesser you purchased from me. Anyhow, information still applies. Hope he turns back on soon for you. Oh,not to mention you picked up a female Lesser from me. Should have read that post a little better the first time around. Anyhow, how is the female doing?
    Dean Yes its not the same Lesser that I purchased from you but Shes eating like this male used to,NEVER miosses a meal! I'm very pleased with her and have her somewhere around 750grams right now Thanks for asking I'll snap some pics and post them when I get a chance.