Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,439

1 members and 3,438 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Sad News

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: Sad News

Isnt that just great a baby lost its life because of them idiots .So in all the baby died and the snake was killed because the owners were law breaking no common sense idiots
    Joe Haggard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

She died because of an irresponsible parent/caregiver, like so many children do, this one just happened to involve an exotic animal
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

Muze (07-02-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    Isnt that just great a baby lost its life because of them idiots .So in all the baby died and the snake was killed because the owners were law breaking no common sense idiots
    The Python isn't dead.

"Authorities removed the snake from the home Wednesday afternoon. Once outside the small, tan home, bordered by cow pastures, the snake was placed in a bag then inside a dog crate. The snake was still alive.

Darnell did not have a permit for the snake, which would be a second-degree misdemeanor, said Joy Hill, a spokeswoman with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. He has not been charged, but Caruthers said investigators were looking into whether there was child neglect or if any other laws were broken.

Hill said the snake will be placed with someone who has a permit, pending an investigation into the girl's death."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...kfs5gD995TLSO0

Sounds like the authorities are being pretty careful in their handling of this.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

MelissaFlipski (07-08-2009)

Thanks

What a very sad occurrence. I think Wes made a very good point earlier in this thread in that we should keep the speculation to a minimum if possible. There's simply no knowing until investigative information is properly released (and then god hope it's actually reported correctly ) how that snake and that poor child ended up together unsupervised like that.

As both a parent and an owner of a larger snake (9 ft female boa) all I can do is what we've always done here at home. We thought a long while about the responsibilities of bringing Tequila into our home with our own younger child. We made rules for her that are never broken under any circumstance. We make sure she was caged appropriately and under lock and key. Only Mike and I hold the keys to the padlock on her enclosure. Tequila isn't even considered a giant but she is 9 feet of very, very powerful snake and we'd be both stupid parents and stupid snakekeepers to ignore or minimize that fact.

While my heart breaks for these parents I have serious questions in my mind about how and why that baby and that snake were in close and unsupervised contact at 10 a.m.
    ~~Joanna~~

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

Buttons (07-01-2009),hoax (07-01-2009),TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-02-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

I saw the video of them measuring that snake. It measured out at 8 foot 5 inches. Let's be generous and say 9 feet. Not that big for a burm. It was also on the thin side. I'd guess between 12 and 18 lbs. I've got an 8 foot boa that weighs 15 lbs, as of Monday, and is almost the same thickness as that burm. Let's be generous again and say 20 lbs.

Now, a 9 foot 20lb burm is NOT going to try to eat an average 2 year old human. Even if it was starving, that is simply too large a prey item to swallow unless that child was abnormally small.

I smell a big stinking heap of crap in their story.

But, I could be wrong. For the sake of the child, I hope I am. I would much rather think that an innocent slither just out being itself killed this child looking for a meal than the only other possibility; that the child was already dead, how I don't even want to know, and the snake is being blamed.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Buttons (07-01-2009),MelissaFlipski (07-08-2009),monk90222 (07-02-2009),Muze (07-02-2009),TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-02-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    I saw the video of them measuring that snake. It measured out at 8 foot 5 inches. Let's be generous and say 9 feet. Not that big for a burm. It was also on the thin side. I'd guess between 12 and 18 lbs. I've got an 8 foot boa that weighs 15 lbs, as of Monday, and is almost the same thickness as that burm. Let's be generous again and say 20 lbs.

Now, a 9 foot 20lb burm is NOT going to try to eat an average 2 year old human. Even if it was starving, that is simply too large a prey item to swallow unless that child was abnormally small.

I smell a big stinking heap of crap in their story.

But, I could be wrong. For the sake of the child, I hope I am. I would much rather think that an innocent slither just out being itself killed this child looking for a meal than the only other possibility; that the child was already dead, how I don't even want to know, and the snake is being blamed.
    Did anyone besides the father/mother see the snake on the child? Such as EMTS or police?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Spider Ball Python
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Dont argue with an idiot; people watching might not be able to tell the difference

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

My local news did a piece on this, and went to a local reptile store. It actually didn't seem too bad. The pet store folks were pretty clear that owners were normally responsible, and that you were supposed to have a permit, and have locks on the cage, etc.

HOPEfully, it won't get too huge. Maybe the overwhelming focus on celebrity deaths will overshadow it.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Just great. Thats all I will say.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

Very sad...
    1.1ballpythons(normal)-Arwen, Montague
    1.0ballpython(pastel)-Shan Longshanks
    0.1ballpython(spider)-Pippa Willow
    1.0redtailboa-Inigo
    0.1redtailboa(salmon)-Imogen
    1.0redbloodpython-Fergis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerhart View Post
    Where were the parents?
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons View Post
    Can you fill us in with all the details the police, family and reporters have given you that we didn't get in the news article?

It would really help us so we could judge for ourselves if it really was the owners fault.
    It does not matter if some one broke in and let the snake out! It is the parents fault for not taking every necessary step possible.

Mike
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast