Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,343

5 members and 3,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Care after shipping??

It looks as if I may have to get a snake shipped to me since I'm having trouble finding a breeder in my area. I had lofty goals of owning an albino burm, but the more research I do, the more I'm leaning toward a carpet python. But, I have a couple of questions as to how to care for a snake after it has been shipped and what to expect as far as to how the snake is shipped.

Question #1: How should I expect the snake to be "packaged"? Or in other terms: How should the snake be shipped to ensure live arrival and that the snake has not suffered too much distress on it's journey?

Question #2: When the snake arrives, what is the best immediate care for it? Is there anything special that I should do? Obviously, I will have an enclosure waiting for it at the proper temp/humidity level with hides so that it can acclimate to it's new environment. BUT, is the best course of action to just place it in the enclosure and leave it alone?

Thanks in advance. I've searched, but nothing specific on shipping and aftercare has popped up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: Care after shipping??

My one and only experience recieving a shipped snake was a very good one. The snake was shipped in a clear plastic cup, big enough for the snake to coil in, I believe with paper towel inside, and of course a top secured over the cup. The cup was secured within a box that was insulated well but temps did not require heat or cold packs. Basically, the snake did not get jostled too much, was insulated against possible bad temps, and was kept as secure as possible.

The best immediate care for a new arrival is to visually check over for any possible problems or injuries, make sure the snake has at least obvious signs of general health (i.e. it moves, breathes), and then put it in its cage and give it quiet time. Also, pictures. Pictures that are taken and posted on the internet are a must.. for the snakes health of course.

It's as easy as that. A quick lookover and give it some alone time in its new home. Limit interaction for the next week to simple cleaning and feeding.

Don't forget to practice good quarantine procedures if you have any other reptiles where you live. While it is unlikely to recieve a sick snakes, you can transmit RI/mites/IBD/other health problems?? if you recieve snake that carries something bad.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

orphan (06-29-2009)

Thanks

There's no quarantine period necessary because it will be my only one.

Are there any other precautionary measures I should take like a full checkout by a vet? If so, are there any special tests I should request?

The more I read, the more questions pop up. Sorry guys, I'm still learning and I'm the type that likes to be well-informed beforehand. Pics will be taken and posted, don't worry. I've got to get my hands on a camera other than the one on my phone. lol

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

I would examine it for health, then place it in its enclosure and let it chill. After a week, I would feed it. Our shipped snakes usually arrive in plastic bowls with lids and air holes, or in snake bags.

And, I can't sing the praises and delights of a cute and beautiful baby JCP strongly enough- WONDERFUL little critters.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

IMO vet trip is unnecessary unless you see any issues. I suppose there are people out there who might always take a new pet to the vet to get checked out, but money is always a consideration.

Thanks

As long as you get it from a reputable breeder and it looks healthy, there should be no need to take it directly to a vet. Just give him a look over for mouth/scale rot or possible respiratory problems but odds are it will be just fine. Reputable breeders/sellers are a must when ordering online or getting things shipped, ask for pictures before you buy it if they don't have any readily available.
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

Thanks

Check this video out: http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/g..._your_reptile/. It shows how to properly package a snake. If you are buying from a reputable breeder, you should not have to take your snake to the vet upon receiving him / her.

Good luck.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Unless there is an obvious medical problem I wouldn't consider a vet. The snake has been crammed into a box for the past 12-14 hours and tossed about a little while shipping. It would add much more stress. I commonly have animals shipped in. Make sure the person is a certified reptile shipper! Just to go over what has been said, The package should be a box with Styrofoam lined walls. Then some kind of media to keep the animal from getting tossed around, even if it's shredded newspaper. I've got most animals in clear deli cups, but bags are another common thing to ship in. Personally I prefer bags, they give some cushion and movement without being slick. This time of year you will probably get a cool pack in the box just under the top piece of Styrofoam. Make sure the other party will guarantee live arrival. You must be at home to receive your new package and if the animal is DOA take pictures and email the other party. Kind of the side no one wants to think about, but it does happen from time to time. As far as actual care after the little one arrives I have a container set up with all the normal goodies but I keep it dry. Once the new arrival is in I then mist. This gives them a chance to drink, which many snakes would rather drink mist and from a bowl. Then of course, the standard let them settle in time. I usually give 2 or 3 days before offering food, some people wait a week. Personal preference. I believe checking the little one over for mites is something that should be done within the first week of its arrival. People with large collections often have mite issues, and more so the brokers who buy from people with no history. Sorry for the long winded speech. When you get your new one you'll see it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
    Chondro-holic

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Yeap, it's official.

David is the official BP.net Morelia-picture-taker-putter-on-the-internet-er!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidG For This Useful Post:

orphan (06-29-2009)

Thanks

yep, everything that's been already, with an emphasis on hydration... giving the snake ample opportunity to drink and/or soak after it's journey is critical. you often hear about 'i got my new snake and its soaking, is this mites?' well, it's not always mites, they are just very prone to dehydration.

all in all, i wouldn't worry too much as long as you're dealing with someone that knows what they're doing...
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I ship many many burms every year and I can give you the run down on how I do it.
    One of the first things I check are the temps-where I live, where the buyer lives and in Memphis, Tenn (our main Fedex hub here on the east coast). After making sure temps are not going to get too low or too high then if able to be shipped I make adjustments if needed with a heat or cold pack depending on time of the year. I then contact my customer to confirm shipping on that particular day (we ship Mon-Wed) and will usually have my Fedex label printed and give them the tracking number-Fedex does not charge for shipment until the label is scanned so if something comes up and the customer cannot be home to receive the package then there's no loss. I am Fedex and Delta verified so no problems there. Around 6pm in the evening I get the burm that I am shipping and check it over to make sure its good to go, snap a few pics of it then get it ready to ship. I use 12x9x6 foam insulated boxes. I put the snake in a bag and tie, knot, and tape it. I do the label the bag also. There is also some type of substrate in the bag whether it be shredded newspaper or a papertowel to absorb any mess if the snake decides to urinate or worse in flight. (I never feed ours a day or two before I ship to reduce the risk of a regurge). I place the bag into the box with shredded newspaper under, all around, and on top of it. The box will also have airholes punched into the sides. I also include a feed/shed chart, a business card with website and phone number, and a genetics rundown on the the snake and its parents. Our Fedex guy is great-he stops by the house around 7pm and picks up our packages-after he leaves I send the pics and the message that the snake is on the way to the buyer.

When the snakes arrive I recommend either removing them carefully (baby burms for example can be nippy) or open the bag and let the baby make its way out into its new enclosure. Have fresh water and hides available-the new one will probably spend some time checking out every corner of its new home so I would give it a few days to settle before handling and trying to feed. If you have any questions or concerns call the breeder and ask!!! And also let the breeder know it has arrived (thats a personal one for me-I tend to stay up all hours of the night and pace by the phone waiting to hear the snake arrived and they are happy with it)
    I agree that no vet visit is necessary unless you see some signs of a problem.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheresaBearden For This Useful Post:

orphan (06-30-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast