Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,241

2 members and 1,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Can't get the correct temps!

My Ball python, Candice, is housed in a 20gallon glass enclosure. She has a screen lid that slides in and locks in place. On that lid, I put saran (sp?) wrap to hold in humidity, since the screen lid always lets the humidity out. When my heat lamp is on, temperatures can be anywhere from 98F-105F and the humidity level drops under 40%. I use a 60 watt basking bulb for her as well. I used to have a 75 watt basking bulb but nothing really changed, both are the same, making my enclosure go over 100F with low humidity at below 40%. I always have to turn off the heat lamp when I notice that it's getting way too hot. I need my temps to stay betwen 88F-94F which is really hard and raising the humidity makes it even hotter. What watt bulb should I use, and what type of bulb should I use (like sunglow, basking, etc.), because I need my humidity levels to stay between 50%-60% and my temps to be between 88F-94F
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Re: Can't get the correct temps!

do you have a thermostat? it doesnt sound like you do to me??

Thanks

you can also build a humid hide so your bp can change its humidity when it requires, ie during shed

Thanks

I keep my BP in a 20 gal long. I use a 60 watt red nocturnal heat bulb that is on for 24 hrs a day. I also use a UTH which is kept on a lamp dimmer to maintain 90 degrees in the warm side hide. I would only use the UTH if I could, but without the light and only the UTH my ambiant drops into the 70's.
    For the screen lid, I duct taped it 3/4's of the way and the uncovered 1/4 is where the heat lamp sits.
    I mist my tank whenever I see that humidity is below 45% and the tape on the screen lid helps keep it in for a while.
    If you cant get temp/humidy right, I would suggest using a tub as they are much easier to hold in temp/humidity.

Hope this helps,
    Kevin

1.0 Normal Ball: Luther
    0.1 Pastel Ball
    1.0 Spider Ball

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    do you have a thermostat? it doesnt sound like you do to me??
    I have a digital thermometer I use for her, and it's pretty accurate.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

you need a thermostat to correctly control the temperature of whatever heat source you are using, check this out http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake...hermostat.html there is a big difference between thermometers and thermostats, 105f over an extended period is far too hot, GET A THERMOSTAT asap

Thanks

you need a thermostat to correctly control the temperature of whatever heat source you are using, check this out http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake...hermostat.html there is a big difference between thermometers and thermostats, 105f over an extended period is far too hot, GET A THERMOSTAT asap
    I just want to know what watt bulb and what type of bulb I should use. I don't have a ton of money and I'm trying to save money so I can make bigger purchases in the future. It just depends how much a thermostat would cost me. Does it for sure tell the correct temps?
    Tiff'z Morphz

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

if you can't afford a thermostat you can always pick up a light dimmer from a place like Lowes, its what i'm using ATM until i can afford a thermostat.
    Ken

1.0 Western Hognose - Khan

Thanks

i dont think you understand the concept of a thermostat, how old are you? im not being disrespectful im just trying to establish details, thermostats control the heat source you are using to heat your enclosure,

1) you set the temperature on the thermostat,

2) you place the thermostat probe under or near the heat source

3) your temperatures are always stable as long as you maintain the probe in a decent place where it cant be moved by the snake

thermostats are a definite must have for any reptile keeper, if you do not have one you are risking fires, due to overheating, and harm or fatality of the animal, if you can not afford to buy the thermostat you should think if you can afford to keep the snake

if you use a heat lamp u probably need a low wattae bulb cos you have a reasonably small tank

Thanks

i dont think you understand the concept of a thermostat, how old are you? im not being disrespectful im just trying to establish details, thermostats control the heat source you are using to heat your enclosure,

1) you set the temperature on the thermostat,

2) you place the thermostat probe under or near the heat source

3) your temperatures are always stable as long as you maintain the probe in a decent place where it cant be moved by the snake

thermostats are a definite must have for any reptile keeper, if you do not have one you are risking fires, due to overheating, and harm or fatality of the animal, if you can not afford to buy the thermostat you should think if you can afford to keep the snake

if you use a heat lamp u probably need a low wattae bulb cos you have a reasonably small tank
    I can afford all of my snakes and reptiles I just cannot buy anything expensive at the moment. It depends how much the thermostat is, and if it's a reasonable price I may purchase it. They all do just fine with heat lamps.. I just don't know how to control the heat inside of my BPs cage because temps are always changing.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast