Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,214

0 members and 3,214 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

So I need an incubator. . .

And you know where this is going, another of these questions. I have built a lot of stuff for my BPs recently, but I am not sure I am totally comfortable building an incubator, and if I am going to have any time for it I need to do it soon. I have the herpstat thermostat with two outlets so I have one dedicated to my rack and one dedicated to my incubator, so no issues there. Here are just a few of my questions about what I will need if I make one of what to look for if I buy one:

Do I need a separate internal thermometer? I have a handheld one I can use to check if need be, but the probe from the herpstat shows me the temp anyway. I don't think I need this, but I don't know.

A humidity guage. Should I just go with that accurate one in the sticky? Are there any other inexpensive options?

I am going to have at least 3 females of sufficient size come this season, maybe 5, so how big of one do I need? I really have no concept of space when it comes to this, there are so many variations. If I get an old fridge that probably won't be an issue, but I can't really stick one of those in my room (where my snakes are thermostat is). I also hope to expand, so maybe going big and using extension cords if I need it to be in another room would work.

I guess my main hang up is in the huge mark up. I can get an old fridge off craigslist for less than $50, I probably already have enough flexwat hanging around, and even if I have to buy it would still only be like 25 tops, then a few odds and ends like the accurite humidity / thermometer for $15 et cetera. Which would make me a huge one for around $100 or I can pay $200 for one less than half the size.

Also, is it possible to put a window in an old fridge incubator? The only guide on it I've seen is this: http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/incubator.shtml
    and he doesn't mention it. I don't really have a desire to peek in on my eggs, but if its something that is actually useful (like checking for denting without risking the slight temp/humidity change that occurs when you open the door) then I guess I'd like one.
    6.21 ball pythons
    0.1 Suriname BCC, Florida Redtail line
    Lots of ASFs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: So I need an incubator. . .

first,you need a thermostat just for the inc,prode dead center in air,not on the tape,2nd,i wouldnt use a humidity gauge,as the humidity in each tub will need to be emasured,so 5 clutches would be 5 of them,,,so,,just dont use them,use the substrate as instructed and you will be fine.and for a window,i would do double window,cut your hole,2 peices of your plexi,trace the hole with sealent,put plext against it until it bonds,making ti air tight,would do this on the inside,and again on the outside,sandwhiching an air pocket between the 2 for insulation
    1.0 blonde pastel,1.8 normal,1.1 het orange ghost 1.0 het butterscotch 0.1 het green ghost 0.1 het albino 0.1 rtb 0.1 yellow anaconda 1.0 borneo blood 1.0 albino burmese

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell83 View Post
    first,you need a thermostat just for the inc,prode dead center in air,not on the tape,2nd,i wouldnt use a humidity gauge,as the humidity in each tub will need to be emasured,so 5 clutches would be 5 of them,,,so,,just dont use them,use the substrate as instructed and you will be fine.and for a window,i would do double window,cut your hole,2 peices of your plexi,trace the hole with sealent,put plext against it until it bonds,making ti air tight,would do this on the inside,and again on the outside,sandwhiching an air pocket between the 2 for insulation

Nice idea with the double pane plexi. My herpstat has two outlets, I can have one totally dedicated with its own temps, probe, warnings, all that jazz totally separate from the one for my rack. It is like two thermostats in one.
    6.21 ball pythons
    Lots of ASFs

Thanks

How many eggs can I fit inside a typical "dorm room" type fridge? Most other fridges I see for sale are a little big for my current living situation.

Also how far will two 1 foot 11inch pieces of flex watt take me if I go the small fridge / large cooler type? Should it be enough to hold maybe 5-6 clutches? Those are my top options at the moment. I also have a 4 foot long strip of 4inch flexwatt if that would be a better solution.
    6.21 ball pythons
    Lots of ASFs

Thanks

Heres the one I built for my first clutch, worked perfect.

The cooler wasn't cheap and neither was the t-stat but thats how it goes. I already had the plexi laying around but windows are necessary. Hope this helps!

...everyone needs a little R&R

RuddockReptiles.com