Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,242

1 members and 3,241 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Car folk, caliper question help.

So, last time I changed my brake pads (a while ago), the pistons were pretty stiff getting pushed back. I've just remembered about it recently when someone asked me to change their brake pads.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to car repair, and there is some conflicting information online. Some people say, if you aren't good with cars, get a mechanic to grease the caliper and pins and all that jazz.

Or, replace the caliper since they are fairly cheap. Again, mechanic? Or given my small skill set, is it feasable for me to do it myself?

Never bled brakes before either, so that would be new to me.

Should mention, it's a 97 monte carlo.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Car folk, caliper question help.

Replacing the calipers is no big deal. However if the Calapers aren't leaking then their no reason to replace them if you do replace them you'll have to bleed the brakes, and thats a pain. The best way to puch the calipers pistons back a a 'C' clamp.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Yes, I don't know how I would change brake pads without a C clamp. Anyways, what would tell tale signs of leaking be? Rust?

So would you think a sticky piston is worth greasing, or changing out the caliper completely if it's easy enough to do?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Yes, I don't know how I would change brake pads without a C clamp. Anyways, what would tell tale signs of leaking be? Rust?

So would you think a sticky piston is worth greasing, or changing out completely?
    You'll see around the rubber seal will have brake fluid.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban

Thanks
    Blog Entries

So would you think a sticky piston is worth greasing, or changing out the caliper completely if it's easy enough to do?
    Is it sticky when you press the brakes or just when you try to press the piston back in??

Thanks

It's hard to push the piston back in. I'm not referencing when I push on the pedal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

So would you think a sticky piston is worth greasing, or changing out completely?
    Wet stains on outside of caliper and a soft pedal when you brake. Also you may see small brake fluid drips on the ground under calipers. When brake pads get real low the caliper piston comes out much farther than it would with a newer pad. If the outer part of that cylinder has deteriorated or pitted with time it could scrape the O ring or seal that holds in the brake fluid and leaking may occur or a complete loss of brake pressure.

When you hold down the brakes if it gets to a point wher it stops and then continues to sink more this could be a sign that you are loosing pressure some where, either from a leak or the master cylinder is going.

Hope this helps.

Oh when bleeding brakes you will need two people and be careful not to get brake fluid in your eyes, it burns like the ****ens, trust me, been there done that

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's hard to push the piston back in. I'm not referencing when I push on the pedal.
    Thats because your pushing against the hydraulic pressure of the system. There is a trick to make it easier.. crack open the bleeder nipple just a little bit..You'll lose some fluid but not much as soon as the piston is back in close the nipple and poof problem solved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle
    Wet stains on outside of caliper and a soft pedal when you brake. Also you may see small brake fluid drips on the ground under calipers. When brake pads get real low the caliper piston comes out much farther than it would with a newer pad. If the outer part of that cylinder has deteriorated or pitted with time it could scrape the O ring or seal that holds in the brake fluid and leaking may occur or a complete loss of brake pressure.

When you hold down the brakes if it gets to a point wher it stops and then continues to sink more this could be a sign that you are loosing pressure some where, either from a leak or the master cylinder is going.

Hope this helps.

Oh when bleeding brakes you will need two people and be careful not to get brake fluid in your eyes, it burns like the ****ens, trust me, been there done that
    Ahh, I see. Chris... isn't the best helping me on my car. And I don't have anyone else available to bleed brakes with me, so that looks like changing the caliper might have to be left to my mechanic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_Frog
    Thats because your pushing against the hydraulic pressure of the system. There is a trick to make it easier.. Crack open the bleeder nipple just a little bit..You'll lose some fluid but not much as soon as the piston is back in close the nipple and poof problem solved.
    Oh, okay, I've never done that, under the assumption I'd have to bleed brakes, but if I don't then yes, that would definitely make it easier.

It just seemed a lot more difficult to get the piston back in this last time. I'll have to check out the whole thing, see if i can't gander something wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast