Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,085

0 members and 1,085 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

First Shed Imminent

I noticed yesterday when in the light my baby bp's eyes had a slight haze to them. Tonight when I lifted his he had his head tucked in the center of his coiled body facing up and stayed that way after I picked him up. Didn't seem real sociable, nothing aggressive though. After looking closer the haze is more noticeable, especially in the light so I certain he is going into shed.

This is my first snake and the first shed, I read the sticky about the shed process thoroughly, otherwise I probably would not have caught it so soon. I upped the humidity in his tank tonight to 70% and let me g/f know to watch it and mist when needed while I'm at work.

I just have one thing I'm wondering about. Tomorrow is feeding day and I read that it's not a good idea to feed them when they are going into shed. He ate last friday, I gave him a live hopper and the last f/t fuzzy I had. Should I try and feed him a f/t mouse tomorrow or not even bother? If he doesn't eat then it will be 2 weeks? before his shed is over and he is ready to eat again right?

Thanks

0.1 - Normal - 4 Months? Old
    0.1 - Mojave Hatchling

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: First Shed Imminent

I feed my snakes while they are shedding. Some people say it isn't a good idea because they won't eat while in shed, but mine always eat. You can offer food but don't be surprised if he refuses.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

offer him the food and see what he does. if he doesnt take it, no biggie. go ahead and up the humidity to about 80 though

1.1 Het Albino BP
    1.0 Banded king
    1.1 Amelanistic Het Anerythristic Corns
    1.1 Het Albino Western Hognose
    0.1 Garter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qetu View Post
    offer him the food and see what he does. if he doesnt take it, no biggie. go ahead and up the humidity to about 80 though
    Why 80?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Well I tried to feed him yesterday, seemed interested but didn't take it even after leaving the f/t mouse in there all night. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait and feed him the first friday after he sheds.

He was not a happy camper at all yesterday, didn't strike at me but he was nervous at any movement. When I lifted his hide he started doing something weird, he was coiled and his whole body was oscillating like a plate balanced on a pen. I thought he was just trying to loosen himself up but he never opened up, just oscillated in a counter-clockwise motion. I just picked him up after talking to him(he seems to recognize my voice) and moved him to the other side so I could put his hide back in. I guess I'll just leave him be for a while, his eyes were alot more hazed this time, didn't need light to notice it at all.
    0.1 - Normal - 4 Months? Old
    0.1 - Mojave Hatchling

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Any humidity above 60% is fine, don't worry. Also you can try to feed him while in shed, some eat, some won't. Also it sometimes depends on what stage in the shed they're in. Also the reason he seemed like that is because when snakes go into shedding, they're vision really goes down the drain, so it's like if you were blind and somebody coming and grabbing you.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)