Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

3 members and 3,341 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions

Thanks

Re: Questions

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound
    Cheap cat food can and will lead to issues.
    It's not $1000 for a bag. $40 can get you a decent size bag that will last a long time for a kitten. If you spend $20 a bag for cheap food, half the food is filler, so the cat will need to eat more than twice as much food, so you're STILL paying $40, because you'll need two bags of cheap to one bag of good food.
    Also, the cheap food means LOTS of poo. Smelly poo. So plan on cleaning the litter twice as often.

Just like most things in life, cheap isn't a good thing. No one is being snobby here, they are trying to help you out.

Buy cheap food. Buy twice as much food, clean twice as much poo, and have the possibility of more vet bills from health issues.

Buy good food. Buy less food, clean less poo, have a healthy cat that doesn't need vet visits for diabetes, kidney isues, bladder stones, etc.

Also, be sure your kitten has all the appropriate shots. Watch for upper respitory infections, which would be runny eyes, or runny nose.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    I'm just going to say it. If you cannot afford to properly feed, care for, house, provide veterinary attention for the cat, then do not get it.

What if the cat gets a respiratory infection? How are you going to foot the bills on that? It could easily be $100 right off the bat...

They need all vaccinations, deworming, spaying/neutering, toys, beds, food, bowls, etc, etc, etc. Do you know that you will be able to properly afford this animal?
    Couldn't have said this any better. Cats are carnivores, they eat meat. Any vegetables or fruits or grain is CRAP. Even some of the better brands STILL manage to throw some stupid plant matter in which cats cannot use at all, but it's usually a very minimal amount.

For example, I bought 12 pounds of Innova Evo back in the beginning of April. I still have a quarter of a bag left. That is approx $0.30 cents a day in food, he eats between a 1/3 cup and 1/4 cup a day.

When he was on Iams/Eukanuba, he ate almost a 1/2 cup to a FULL cup a day! And now he won't switch off of kibble to wet, he is addicted and it's a struggle.

I feed portion control too, many good cat foods are high in calories, so they don't need a lot or they will get fat.

If you want to do this right, read the site catnutrition.org and catinfo.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I feed portion control too, many good cat foods are high in calories, so they don't need a lot or they will get fat.
    Very true,

My cat developed diabetes from being overweight as a result of bad food and too much feeding.

After switching him to a gluten and wheat free diet he's pretty much kicked the diabetes. We still need to give him a small dose of medication but its less than 3x what he used to take so definite improvement.

He gets a wet dry mix of 1/4 can Nature's Variety wet to 1/4 Innove Evo dry twice a day. I think he would stuff himself to oblivion if I allowed him to free graze on the dry food.

I think indoor cats get bored and turn to food much like humans do. So portion control is a must.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Very true! I think the innova has 600 calories in a cup! So feed very little.

Thanks

]Science diet???Is that good enough????
    MuzeBallPythons help my out!!!
    low
    in
    to
    to
    low
    extreme
    in
    no way
    doe
    in
    apple
    no way
    grass
    in
    rawr
    low

is meeeeeaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!
    Bvz

Thanks

Connie (littleindiangirl) gave you good advice, there was nothing mean about it. You can either take the advice or leave it. Remember you were the one that came looking for help and it seems like you got the answers to your questions.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Honestly, she helped me out A LOT when I first joined this forum. And her advice about the cat food is great. Most everyone in this community just wants what is best for the animals. And it is so true that often if pets get less quality foods, they end up in the vet more often. Plus, it's like buying a concentrated 16 oz bottle of a household cleaner that will make 2 gallons for $3 vs. a gallon of a diluted cleaner for $2. Diluted looks cheaper, but concentrated is actually a better deal since you'll get more for it. Weird example, I know, but it makes sense to me.

Anyway, I see you've been looking for quality foods and that's what matters. Look at the ingredients and feed portions and compare. If you feed 1 whole cup of $20/month food vs. 1/2 cup of $40/month food, the $40 costs the same really.

Hope this helps!
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

Science Diet is crap. It used to be "decent", now it's just as bad as Ol' Roy. Full of fillers and gluten, corn. BLEH!

Buy a GOOD FOOD or don't get the cat. Period.

What if the cat runs outside and gets hit by a car? Are you going to have the $800 or so it costs to pin a leg or wire a pelvis back together?

If you can't afford a decent, high quality food that is the foundation of having a healthy animal, PLEASE for the sake of the animal don't get it. Poor quality foods full of fillers only cause bladder and kidney stones, obesity, diabetes, IBS(irritable bowel syndrome), dental disease, rough, greasy haircoat, higher susceptibility to disease/infections. Why put an animal through that when you can PREVENT IT!

I mean jesus h, Iams is NOT expensive and cats do fairly well on it. The Multicat formula I have found is the best all around. Nice high protein percentage and good fat percentage. Decent ingredients too.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12