Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

2 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions?

Thanks

Question Questions?

So this was my first year at breeding ball pythons!

I had cooled my male pastel & female banded for the season, put them together, never viewed any copulations or anything so after a while of putting them together, we took them apart.

Now after a month or so, she has 200grams unaccounted for?

She is super Pissy and is laying Inverted, More then once.

Any ideas whats going on ? I never seen any signs of lumping or the glow.

So i'm stumped! lol Any help would be awesome!

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by BurmGirl23 View Post
    I had cooled my male pastel & female banded for the season, put them together, never viewed any copulations or anything so after a while of putting them together, we took them apart.
    How many times did you put them together and for how long? It almost sounds like you only put them together once. Also, how often did you check on them? They may have been copulating while you weren't watching.

Now after a month or so, she has 200grams unaccounted for?
    What exactly do you mean by that? She gained 200g? Is she still eating for you?

.... and is laying Inverted, More then once.
    To me it sounds like she is still developing follicles.

Any ideas whats going on ? I never seen any signs of lumping or the glow.
    Not all females will show all of the signs. Some seem to not follow the system. Also, she may not be that far into the developing stage yet.
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

Thanks

[QUOTE=LGL;1083445]How many times did you put them together and for how long? It almost sounds like you only put them together once. Also, how often did you check on them? They may have been copulating while you weren't watching.

I introduced him into the female's cage once a week for two days, then gave him rest. i did this for four months.

i checked on them every day, sometimes even twice.

What exactly do you mean by that? She gained 200g? Is she still eating for you?

She was off food for the time, then just three weeks ago went back onto food.

She was around the 1200 gram mark a month ago, now i just did a weight check not even two weeks ago and she's around 1800 grams

It just seems odd to me on how quick she packed on the weight. I let her slide over my fingers, but couldn't feel any eggs at all...

But yes she is now eating for me.

To me it sounds like she is still developing follicles.

That's what i had thought too. i just wanted to make sure.

Not all females will show all of the signs. Some seem to not follow the system. Also, she may not be that far into the developing stage yet.

Very true, i've been checking on her just about every day and out of one of those days she wasen't laying inverted.

Thanks

Thanks

I introduced him into the female's cage once a week for two days, then gave him rest. i did this for four months.
    Ok. That's good.

i checked on them every day, sometimes even twice.
    Are you sure your male is indeed a male? How old is he and how much does he weigh? Is this the first time either of them have been bred? I'm surprised that you didn't witness a single lock.

She was off food for the time, then just three weeks ago went back onto food.

She was around the 1200 gram mark a month ago, now i just did a weight check not even two weeks ago and she's around 1800 grams

It just seems odd to me on how quick she packed on the weight. I let her slide over my fingers, but couldn't feel any eggs at all...

But yes she is now eating for me.
    Are you sure both of the measurements were accurate? How many prey items did she eat between the two measurments? What type and what size?

Also, Ball Pythons that have been large and just lost weight tend to gain the weight back rather quickly. That's still a lot of weight to gain in just two weeks...
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGL View Post
    Ok. That's good.

Are you sure your male is indeed a male? How old is he and how much does he weigh? Is this the first time either of them have been bred? I'm surprised that you didn't witness a single lock.

He is a proven Male whom we got from a very good breeder, N.E.R.D Line pastel, Said he should be good to go, he locked with one female but that female never ever did give us eggs and that was nearly two years ago.

He lost alot of weight as well, but was around the 1500 gram mark when we were breeding him.

First time for her, but not for him. There were a few times they were all wraped in one another, but i didn't see any lock tails. So that's why i'm here wondering, and asking questions! lol

Are you sure both of the measurements were accurate? How many prey items did she eat between the two measurments? What type and what size?

Measurements were right, i used my digital scale.
    Well i had measured her when she was off food, then two weeks ago when she did start eating.

First food item was a small F/T Rat, She gets fed every 7 days, second item was a small F/T Rat and Now she just took a MED Sized F/T Rat lastnight.

Also, Ball Pythons that have been large and just lost weight tend to gain the weight back rather quickly. That's still a lot of weight to gain in just two weeks...
    It is, which makes me wonder alot. When we got her, it took us a while to get her up to breeding size, she was rather tiny.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think the fact that she has started eating again is a bad sign.
    Casey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    a Bad Sign? How So ?

Thanks

He is a proven Male whom we got from a very good breeder, N.E.R.D Line pastel, Said he should be good to go, he locked with one female but that female never ever did give us eggs and that was nearly two years ago.

He lost alot of weight as well, but was around the 1500 gram mark when we were breeding him.

First time for her, but not for him. There were a few times they were all wraped in one another, but i didn't see any lock tails. So that's why i'm here wondering, and asking questions! Lol
    I have heard of males that lock fine and are great breeders with some females but seem uninterested in others.

Measurements were right, i used my digital scale.
    Well i had measured her when she was off food, then two weeks ago when she did start eating.

First food item was a small F/T Rat, She gets fed every 7 days, second item was a small F/T Rat and Now she just took a MED Sized F/T Rat lastnight.
    When was the first measurement taken? How long before the second? I have a female that gained about 50g in two to three weeks while she was off feed, probably due to water intake. Maybe at least some of the weight can be explained by that.

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    I have to agree. Maybe she ended up reabsorbing her follicles. If she's not locking and is eating again, I think she is done for the season. If she does end up laying a clutch somehow, great. I don't think there's much you can do at this point.
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGL View Post
    I have heard of males that lock fine and are great breeders with some females but seem uninterested in others.

I've heard of that too, but he did seem interested but i just never seen them locked at all.

When was the first measurement taken? How long before the second? I have a female that gained about 50g in two to three weeks while she was off feed, probably due to water intake. Maybe at least some of the weight can be explained by that.

Month 1/2 ago it was taken. And then 2 weeks ago i did the second, so it was a good amount of time between the two.

Maybe. So The whole laying inverted doesn't mean anything .

I have to agree. Maybe she ended up reabsorbing her follicles. If she's not locking and is eating again, I think she is done for the season. If she does end up laying a clutch somehow, great. I don't think there's much you can do at this point.

I was told by another breeder to throw a male back in with her because she could have Follicles... but i don't know if that's so safe.

I'm just happy that she's eating again, that is all that really matters to me.

If she throws me some eggs! cool! if not, there is always next year!

Thanks guys

Thanks

You have to read your female. If you think she will go, keep pairing her. If not, I'd just wait until next season.
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast