Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,089

0 members and 1,089 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thermostat

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

thermostat

I am an need of a thermostat that wont break the bank but wont kill my snakes either.

so whats the best but cheapest thremo to get the job done?
    id rather keep the snakes alive so if i have to go get a helix i will i guess

Thanks

Re: thermostat

Ranco from www.reptilebasics.com

Good thermostat, won't break the bank

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2kdime For This Useful Post:

aff19802 (06-21-2009)

Thanks

Yep---Reptile Basics has a nice selection. You will still have to check temps regularly. A temp gun makes checking temps easier!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Bowden For This Useful Post:

aff19802 (06-21-2009)

Thanks

I personally use, right now Two Zoo Med 500R's. These are actual thermostats, and NOT Rheostats. Both have been running perfectly for quite a few years now and are good little entry level T-stats. Theyll run you about 15-25 bucks depending on where you look. If you just have a couple tanks, these are perfect, you just have to dial the temperature in and check them from time to time, but other than that, you really shouldnt have any problems with them. I know quite a few people that use them now, and none have had any problems. Good for the cost. Not the best, but definitely wont break the bank.

BUT. I also run two Herpstats as well ( and love them!) for 110.00 you REALLY cannot beat the quality and i would choose a spyder robotics thermostat ANY DAY over any other model/brand in a heartbeat. They are THE. BEST. in my opinion as far as quality, and customer service ( and functionality )
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com
    Enough snakes that i cant count them properly anymore.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mooingtricycle For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (06-21-2009),aff19802 (06-21-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

I use a Helix on my rack and on my bator, but I also have a few Zoo Med 500R's that I use on individual or pairs of tubs. I have not had any issues with either of them.
    --Walt

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (06-21-2009),aff19802 (06-21-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mooingtricycle View Post
    I personally use, right now Two Zoo Med 500R's. These are actual thermostats, and NOT Rheostats. Both have been running perfectly for quite a few years now and are good little entry level T-stats. Theyll run you about 15-25 bucks depending on where you look. If you just have a couple tanks, these are perfect, you just have to dial the temperature in and check them from time to time, but other than that, you really shouldnt have any problems with them. I know quite a few people that use them now, and none have had any problems. Good for the cost. Not the best, but definitely wont break the bank.
    Yeah, I have a 500r that I got for about $30. As long as you have backups for the heating devices plugged into the tstat (I use the Lutron lamp dimmers from Lowes), then you shouldn't have problems. If the tstat fails in the "on" position which it usually does if something goes wrong, the lamp dimmers will limit the max temp the heating devices will get to.
    linky

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mrshawt For This Useful Post:

aff19802 (06-21-2009)

Thanks

i have a
    - helix 100db thing (Whatever the letters are after it)
    - johnson controls

i got rid of
    - reptitemp 500r

The helix and johnson are amazing, I will be purchasing only helix's or higher quality in the future. the johnson is for my quarantine enclosures.

The reptitemp... lots of people here have had great success with them. the key is that your room temps cant fluctuate AT ALL. if they do, the temps swing around wildly. I've measured UTH's on a reptitemp getting over 111 degrees F. this was the reason i got rid of it. but my room temps fluctuate a lot. anywhere from 65 in the winter to 78 in the summer. I needed the enclosure to be the right temp.

Personally, i'd recommend a johnson controls. they won't break the bank and they're very reliable. i ended up spending more money because i got a reptitemp, and then ended up getting a johnson controls maybe a month later. www.reptilebasics.com is a great place and Rich is a great guy with the BEST customer service.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

aff19802 (06-21-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i have an economy rack from ap. i should have said that in the first posty but thank you guys are great.

Thanks

if you feel up to wiring a ranco it will save you even more money

http://www.climatedoctors.com/items/...?itemid=429705

and wiring it
    http://www.rcreptiles.com/blog/index...1000_thermosta

16. The Following User Says Thank You to matt71915 For This Useful Post:

aff19802 (06-21-2009)

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mooingtricycle View Post

BUT. I also run two Herpstats as well ( and love them!) for 110.00 you REALLY cannot beat the quality and i would choose a spyder robotics thermostat ANY DAY over any other model/brand in a heartbeat. They are THE. BEST. in my opinion as far as quality, and customer service ( and functionality )
    Thanks a lot for this post I'm about to move my balls from tanks to tubs ( I'm moving froM Florida to Colorado next year so will be easier move tubs instead of tanks ) and I think 500R gonna be a perfect solution for me.
    My other questions is what size UHT gona be better for 41 qt tubs? 10-20 gal size or 30-40 gal size my both balls are about 3,5 feet long

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast