Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,059

4 members and 1,055 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,564
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

If you have/could have a dedicated snake building..

How would you have it set up? What kind of equipment and gadgets would you be sure to include to make life easier? Down to the last detail, if you have that planned out and are inclined to share.

Share those dreams! (And realities if you're so lucky as to already have it.) I'm just in a dreamy kind of mood today, thinking about our future move to a bigger house with a larger yard where I can build a building specifically to house the snakes and the feeders. It helps to pass the time cleaning dirty rat tubs.
    `*`

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: If you have/could have a dedicated snake building..

I would probably want to have my snake room inside the main house. I like to live where there are 4 seasons, and going outside in the cold just to take care of the snakeys would seem kind of annoying. I don't want to bundle up just to walk across the yard.

But anyway, I would want a good sized bedroom with a closet to store all of the cleaning equipment and extra tubs, bedding, etc. I might even steal that "walk in incubator" idea that I saw in the DIY forum.

I really like the idea of having racks that are the same sizes or modular. I don't like the look of a million different kinds of racks with different depths and heights and stuff. I like uniformity.

I would also try to get some plumbing installed as well, like a sink or two. As well as some counter space for "doing the dishes" (tubs).

I would also have climate control in the room set at 80-83*F.

I can't even think of anything else I would need! Keeping snakes is pretty easy once you start using a rack system
    ~Steffe

Thanks

If I did a bldg, the only thing unique I might do would be to have solar panels installed on the roof to handle the electric. That way, you don't have to reply on battery backup in case of a winter power outage. With the solar panels, you are the electric company!

I would use lots of insulation, do the walk-in incubator, do sealed concrete floors, and maybe do drop florescent lighting for brightness and good photography lighting, I'd have a photo area set aside, use all the same racks, and use all stainless steel tops and furniture for keeping germs at bay. My rodent room would have a nice venting system and a several drains in the floor for ease of cleaning/hosing tubs.

that's about all I can think of right now

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesa2580 For This Useful Post:

pavlovk1025 (06-21-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Pretty much Jurassic Park.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Without going into enormous detail... (I'm not in a typing mood right now)... I'd build something like Dino from White Diamond Reptiles has in his basement. I'd have a clean and bright 10' x 15' room. I'd have it all super organized with baby racks on one wall, sub-adults on another wally, and adults on another wall. All the racks would look identical cuz I have OCD and need everything to be clean, organized and look uniform. I'd have a big refrigerator incubator. Everything would be run of Herpstats. And I would only have Ball Pythons in there except for what's in the next paragraph...

I have this awesome dream to turn a one of those fiber glass shower stall enclosures into a huge elaborate GTP or Emerald Tree Boa enclosure! It would be freakin' awesome! You can mount all different PVC pipes for perches. Seal the top off with a Plexiglas lid type dealio. Heating (I think) would be pretty easy. Humidity would be pretty easy. I'd make some cool automatic rain-like systems which would probably be fairly easy since I'd be building it into the shower. And then I'd paint and decorate greens and tans to look natural. And I'd put an extra heavy duty drain to flush anything big down. I think it'd be a pretty sweet display for the snake/ball python room...

Oh and I'd have a separate room for the feeder breedings!

Thanks

A whole building? Geez...everything so far has sounded so good. Umm Id have to have identical racks and organize them as well, male and female racks for hatchlings-adult, climate controlled building with a walk in incubator running an electric heater off of a helix. A sink and a vented separate room for breeding strictly ASFs. A work type area containing all husbandry items and scales, probes and cleaning equipment. Those solar panels are good idea james!
    ]

Thanks

Lots of neat ideas here!
    `*`

Thanks

If I could do one thing differently than what I have now, I'd have an industrial sink every 6 feet!

Or at least on several scattered around the room. You can never be to close to a sink when you are cleaning.

Justin
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.

Thanks

Ok, you asked for it... I have had this planned out, and even drawn up (but not scanned), for a long time now.

Attached garage or extra room, still part of the house but not the bedroom. Fully insulated, and well, including roof and tile floor. There would be at least one electrical outlet on every wall, and recessed LED lighting, since fluorescent messes up my eyes. The room would have its own AC unit and space heaters, which would all be thermostat controlled.

Outermost wall (across from door) will have a walk-in closet for supply storage, a smaller closet incubator, and a 'kitchen' area with large stainless steel sink, large counter top, chest freezer (for FT rodents), mini fridge (for medications etc.), and a 'washing area' like an enclosed tub with hose for spraying down/cleaning.

Left wall (from the door) would be for the lizard cages. My BTS, and Leo Gecko would be there, along with the Chuckwalla I would love to have. Of course, everyone would have nice big custom enclosures. This would also be where the door to the backyard is - leading out to an enclosed 'play/basking' area, the Tortoise Pit (for box turtles or leopard tortoises) and the covered porch where my Iguana enclosure would be.

The Innermost wall (with the door) would have the snake cages. I do not like racks/tubs, so mine would all be housed in stackable display cages or multi-cage single units (like my corns are now). I would have all Herpstat and Johnson stats for the snakes, and there would be a nice cabinet nearby for feeding tongs and other regular necessities.

The right wall would be where the exercise area is - a large enclosed pen where the animals could roam. The entire wall on this side would be a mural, reptile oriented of course. Not sure exactly what, though.

I haven't quite figured out the full size of the room yet, but it wouldn't need to be huge. I know there's probably more as far as details, but it's late and I can't recall them at the moment.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

so i noticed no one has said this

big comfy chair in front of the bator, or in it if its a walk in

or better yet a web cam in each tub and a big screen to watch them all on lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast