Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,429

2 members and 3,427 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Hedgepiggies

Thanks

Re: My Hedgepiggies

Quote Originally Posted by mrshawt View Post
    I'm sure this is asked all the time, but which do you think is better, a C&C cage or Sterilite bins. I figure snake owners are biased towards bins haha.

But I like that C&C are a little more portable via car. But, Sterilite is cheaper it looks like and holds heat better.

I am doing a ton of research before I potentially get myself a hedgie, and I want to make the right choices from the beginning for the hedgie's and my wallet's sake.
    Sorry I didn't reply to your ?'s sooner -- I guess I gotta turn on that thing that notifies me when there's a new reply to a thread I've posted in ...

In answer to your question about chins vs. hedgies -- I'm personally partial to chins -- I have ~20 of them and I think they just can't be beat! They have such unique, individual personalities, they come in a variety of cool colors, they have almost NO odor, and they're entertaining to watch.

The downsides to chinchillas are that they are often flighty -- I have a few animals that don't mind being picked up and cuddled, but many of them will kick and attempt to get away when handled. (A few may bite, though their bite is nowhere near as painful as that of a rat or hamster, and some really mean ones will pee -- I don't recommend buying one with that kind of personality, though!) They also need a really big cage with lots of levels so that they can jump up and down and exercise.

Hedgehogs are cute and can make good pets as well. They are not as naturally social as chinchillas -- in fact, unlike chins, they aren't naturally social at all -- and so they really need to be handled daily in order to remain good pets. They don't need as big a cage as they can't climb, though they do need a reasonable amount of floor space to run around. They make a bit more waste than chins, and it does smell if not cleaned regularly -- but then again, most animals are like that (They're not naturally smelly like ferrets [sorry ferret owners!].)

One thing to consider about hedgehogs vs. chins is that hedgehogs only live 3-5 years, whereas chins can live to be 12 or more!

I get asked the chinchilla vs. hedgehog question a lot actually ... I've been meaning to make it part of the FAQ on my site, but haven't gotten around to it yet -- guess I need to get onto that, huh?

Oh, and with regards to hedgie cages -- I had never actually even heard of C & C cages so I had to look them up Interesting concept! If you think you can find the materials, I'd say go for that. Sterilite also works great for hedgehogs -- that's what most hedgie breeders use -- but it doesn't look as "pretty." A large, flat-bottomed wire cage (like the "Super Pet" brand, I think it's called) works well for hedgies as well, if you can find one used (they are way overpriced in pet stores).

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Re: My Hedgepiggies

Oh wow, I'm behind on this thread, sorry everyone. I was out of town for awhile. It looks like all the questions got answered though. I don't house my hedgehogs and snake near each other. The snake is in my bedroom and the hedgehogs are in the living room.

I got 2 of mine from Petcetera for $70 each and one from a local shop for $110.

I've heard they only like a short life too, I'm not sure though. These are my first hogs and the oldest one is only 3 and a half, although she has had a bit of a health issue this year so who knows.

Hi Chin_Gal! It's so cool to see other hoggie owners over here as well.

Thanks

Smile Re: My Hedgepiggies

Who wants more pics?

Luna not enjoying her Easter decoration.

Kishi and her favourite toy.

Izzy not impressed by the camera flash while sleeping on mom's lap. (Not the best quality sorry but she's hard to get a pic of for some reason).

Luna and Kishi, the two that get along and are both bossed around by little Izzy. (Luna looks like she's smiling!)

Izzy kidnapping Kishi's toy.

Where's Izzy?

Snuggling on the couch!

Uh oh....

My pretty girl Luna!

I'm GRUMPY!

Luna's hide out while she's playing on the couch.

Baby Kish, all tired out from attacking shirts.

Put meee down!

What do you think you're doing human?

A funny Halloween pic!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123