Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

1 members and 3,315 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera Help...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: Camera Help...

Well...

You have 2 routes to go depending on how HIGH quality you want.

I have a P&S (point and shoot) camera that is very high resolution & takes great pictures... But the shutter speed isn't as fast as say, a DSLR is.. however it has all the options that a DSLR has, just without removeable lenses.. such as aperture, exposure, iso, etc.
    Sony Cybershot is what it's called I forget the exact model..

I took some of these with the above camera, and some with the below camera....
    http://flashforwardphotography.com/2...denverzoo.html

I also have a "cheap" Nikon D40 (DSLR) it is Nikon's entry level DSLR.. does a great job, and for non professionals does work amazing.

Another DSLR to look at would be a Canon Rebel XTI (or the newest version of that is the XSI).. On par with the Nikon entry level.. Menu & other things are set up much differently, but they accomplish the same thing in the end.

It's all on you as far as which you are more comfortable using. I myself prefer Nikons, but use an XTI at work daily and have no qualms about it.
    ~Una
    0.2 Normal BP - Meerah & Tink
    0.0.1 Aberrant Albino Cali King Snake - "No Name"
    1.0 JCP - Lucky
    0.1 RTB - Leelah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    You need to 1st choose a budget before anything else.
    This is the most important part. What are you willing to spend?

Even as a hobby you can get into thousands of dollars with just a few items. If you are new to photography all together you'll end up with more gear than you can handle. While I do suggest getting something you can grow into, don't go overboard

The second question to answer is what type of pictures you want to take. Not just the subjects, but what and where are the subjects in your shots?

If you want to take any type of motion stopping shots a point and shoot camera will fit into most budgets but will easily become frustrating due to shutter lag. Shutter lag can be summed up with "press the shutter button" wait a half second and then your picture is taken.

If you are taking posed shots, still life, or landscapes you can do just fine with a point and shoot type camera if you are willing to live within the constraints of having less options and control over the exposure settings.

Next, how are you going to look at and display your pictures? If you are looking for poster size prints you'll want a bigger sensor. Not just more megapixels, but an actual larger sensor. Think of it as film for a digital camera. The larger the sensor (or negative) the larger the image can be enlarged before distortion becomes noticeable.

Those aren't really an answer to your overall question, but it will help you buy something you'll be happy with and not feel like you spent too much.

On top of the camera or camera system you choose, other expenses are involved.

A case of some sort will be a nice addition. I like to have enough room to carry what I need for an average outing. You want to at least be able to carry an extra battery and memory card as well as the camera. If you carry a bag or backpack I'd suggest something that fits into your bag.

An extra or set of rechargeable batteries.

Memory cards. I have lots. my wife uses one high capacity card for everything.

A tri pod eventually. There are many uses for a tri pod. Taking pictures under low light conditions without a flash being the one I use most. The darker it is the slower your camera's shutter moves. Longer shutter time (open shutter) will show any movement in the camera. That's what causes thousands of the blurry pictures you see after a family member gets back from their vacation.

Those three are just the tip of the iceberg.

I hope this helps with your decision.

Thanks

find a good used 20D. either off of ebay, or:

http://www.fredmiranda.com

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

ken rockwell is more opinionated than factual.

the 20D is a better performer than pretty much every entry level DSLR out today. it doesn't have some of the bells/whistles of the newer stuff, but performance wise and the current market price for an used one...it can't be beat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12