Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

2 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

View Poll Results: What's in a clutch thread?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Post them to the thread as they hatch! No need to know what's on the way until it hatches...

7 17.07%
  • Post to the thread as things happen, eggs laid....then later eggs hatching!

28 68.29%
  • Don't do one thread...do a new one for only the interesting ones when they hatch!

5 12.20%
  • Don't to it at all.

1 2.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What should a clutch thread look like?

I remember looking at Justin Kobylka's previous clutch threads and thinking they were pretty awesome...one breeders stuff all in one place!

I already do one on my webpage but was thinking about putting one here.....is that something people would like to see? Or just the end results in new posts?

Off to the POLLS!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jdconstriction
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/jdconstriction
    Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/jdconstriction

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JD Constriction For This Useful Post:

jkobylka (06-20-2009)

Thanks

Re: What should a clutch thread look like?

I don't think you'll find anyone here that will turn down pictures. I think its cool to see snakes on eggs, eggs and their weight, the 1st to pip, the whole clutch before and after their first sheds, etc. Keeping everything in one thread is better in my opinion so you can see the whole time line for one clutch including any updates that were made.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

I think it would be awesome is everyone on here bredding had their own thread per season for what they are breeding and the outcomes and whatnot. That would be a neat way of cataloging everybodys seasons. Plus it is nice to see the progression as well.
    1.0: Honey Bee | Lesser | Banana Pastel Enchi | Clown 66% Het Albino
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The idea of keeping everything about one pairing/clutch in one thread is kind of neat, but I find it rather impractical for reading. It can often be hard to figure out where in the thread the new updates start.

I think a good compromise is to post updates in a new thread, but also post a link to the previous post(s) about a particular clutch.

I think if one breeder keeps everything about their season with multiple clutches from different pairings all in one thread, that would just get too confusing.
    Casey

Thanks

I think if one does an entire season in one thread it should be locked so only the OP can post. Nothing like going through 20 pages of comments to find info on certain clutches.

If you welcome comments then I think a new thread should be started for each clutch.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FIREball For This Useful Post:

jkobylka (06-20-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FIREball View Post
    I think if one does an entire season in one thread it should be locked so only the OP can post. Nothing like going through 20 pages of comments to find info on certain clutches.
    I enjoyed doing my thread last year, but it was this problem that has led to me not repeat in 2009. I love comments, but I know how frustrating it must be for those who wish to see what is going on with out wading through all of them...

I'd do it again if this could be arranged!

Justin
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hmmmmmmm.......

What would y'all think of something like this: A sub-forum in the BP Breeding section called "Clutch Blogs". It could be set up like the Sales forum is...where anyone can create a thread....but only the thread-creator can respond to it.

Seems to me like breeders and members alike would enjoy something like this. What do y'all think?
    -- Judy

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

JD Constriction (06-22-2009),jkobylka (06-20-2009),Shadera (06-20-2009),twistedtails (06-22-2009)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Hmmmmmmm.......

What would y'all think of something like this: A sub-forum in the BP Breeding section called "Clutch Blogs". It could be set up like the Sales forum is...where anyone can create a thread....but only the thread-creator can respond to it.

Seems to me like breeders and members alike would enjoy something like this. What do y'all think?
    I should clarify something. When I compared the possible new sub-forum to the Sales Forum....I only meant in structure and not in intent. IF we were to set up a "Clutch Blog" sub-forum...it would have to be very clear to everyone that the threads in it are meant to be shared for the joy of sharing the new animals and not for the purpose of generating sales.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm not sure. My knee jerk reaction was "that'd be great! set it up today!"

But by the time I clicked reply and started typing, it had occurred to me that part of the joy of sharing is in all the replies.

Also, a lot of the learning that can be had from these threads would be lost when the replies are lost. I remember a "look at my pastel hatchlings" thread, that when I opened it up, I thought to myself "those don't look like very good pastels". At that time, I didn't know enough to recognize that they were hypos, not pastels, but other people did, and so I was able to learn from the comments.

So, at the moment, I'm leaning towards thinking that the replies have more benefits than negatives. The biggest negative is the need to look through pages of replies for updates, but that can be solved by starting a new thread when there are any major updates, and linking back to the old one for the sake of continuity.

I guess it never hurts to start a new sub-forum, and let people choose which method of posting they prefer.
    Casey

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    I'm not sure. My knee jerk reaction was "that'd be great! set it up today!"

But by the time I clicked reply and started typing, it had occurred to me that part of the joy of sharing is in all the replies.

Also, a lot of the learning that can be had from these threads would be lost when the replies are lost. I remember a "look at my pastel hatchlings" thread, that when I opened it up, I thought to myself "those don't look like very good pastels". At that time, I didn't know enough to recognize that they were hypos, not pastels, but other people did, and so I was able to learn from the comments.

So, at the moment, I'm leaning towards thinking that the replies have more benefits than negatives. The biggest negative is the need to look through pages of replies for updates, but that can be solved by starting a new thread when there are any major updates, and linking back to the old one for the sake of continuity.

I guess it never hurts to start a new sub-forum, and let people choose which method of posting they prefer.
    Well, that was my thought...that it would simply be something that those with large collections of clutches could CHOOSE to start a blog-type of thread that wouldn't be cluttered with replies of "cool snake!" Of course, anyone can start any sort of non-sales picture thread they wish and if they don't want to use a blog forum, they wouldn't have to.
    -- Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast