Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,446

2 members and 3,444 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Bad Egg - Remove?

I checked on the eggs just now. The one egg I suspected of going bad is really gone. Its dented in and dark. It is also covered in green mold. A gnat also found its way into the egg box and the bad egg was covered in little crawling worms! The good eggs were completely untouched, but the bad egg was covered. I used a qtip and got them off and checked the egg tub for any gnats. Is there any way to remove the bad egg? Its stuck to the two good eggs. The good eggs are on day 44. They are taking up somewhere around 2/3 of their egg and are still moving around.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Bad Egg - Remove?

I know that when eggs are first laid, you can separate them by sawing them apart with waxed dental floss. I'm not sure if that will still work on day 44, but it's worth a shot.
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you have a strong stomach you can just drain the insides, cut the egg apart and as close to the other eggs.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I'm going to try and cut the bad egg away from the other two eggs. The other two eggs are now on day 45! They are taking up almost 2/3 of the egg. Will it be ok to cut on day 55, or should I wait?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Cut the bad egg open. I was able to remove the egg's contents and cut the egg in half. The temp fell a degree so I'm waiting for the temp to go back up before attempting to cut the bad egg's shell off.

I removed the fetus from the bad egg. Its amazing to see how far these babies have come. This fetus probably died a week or so ago. It had eyes, an open mouth, faint markings, scales, and is probably around 4-5 inches long. I will take pictures if anyone is interested. I checked on the two remaining eggs. They are going strong. One is particularly big and moves around a lot. I would guesstimate its taking up 3/4 of the egg. I'll be taking candling pics. I'm really worried that these eggs will go bad too. The veins are still nice and strong and the babies are big and active, but I'm still a worried grandma.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Took some pictures of the fetus. I also weighed it. 8g and it was probably around day 30-35 when the veins went away. I cut away as much of the bad egg's shell as I could and checked the other two eggs. Now that I can see the eggs clearly, the babies are taking up a lot more space than I thought. About 3/4 or so. At least that is what I think. I took some pictures but it was using my cell phone so you be the judge. I'll post pictures of the two good eggs on here, but post the fetus pictures in another thread since they are graphic.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

In the last pic, you can see a bit better how much space the baby is taking up.
    Under Construction.....