Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,295

4 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Should I feed my BP in a different tank?

i used to feed in a seprate box until a few weeks ago,

Constance, my klover girl who is never show a stressed hair or a mean thought, was eating like always. normal normal. I went to go pick her up and she darted and got out. I went to go grab her and got tagged by a hissing snake who was wagging her tail at me.

It was RIGHT then, that i was done with that because if CONSTANCE is doing that, the Elijah will tag me from that really fast! He is my booger

1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Hurricane Hypo
    0.1 %66 PH hypo
    Hedgehogs:Bailey, Shinzi, Nebula, Shuffle & Thor
    African grey - Jayden

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts

Uuuuu that's not good
    You telling me that for last two years I was screwing up feeding in separate container?
    Hmm I newer have problem with feeding only one time when I got bitten was when mouse pee all over the petco box and some scent got on my hands and I forgot wash them before taking snake out.
    Hmm I'm in the proces of changing enclosures because by babies outgrowning 20 gal tanks so I'm gonna try start feed in.....

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Angel View Post
    Uuuuu that's not good
    You telling me that for last two years I was screwing up feeding in separate container?
    Hmm I newer have problem with feeding only one time when I got bitten was when mouse pee all over the petco box and some scent got on my hands and I forgot wash them before taking snake out.
    Hmm I'm in the proces of changing enclosures because by babies outgrowning 20 gal tanks so I'm gonna try start feed in.....
    There are people that swear by feeding in a separate enclosure. They have there reasons and many are good.

However, you've experienced one of the risks of this method yourself, getting bit.

I think if it works for your snake that's great, I consider it unnecessary stress and potential for a regurgitation.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

I would much rather feed in the same enclosure that my snake stays in, and IMO it's the right way to do it. But, a few weeks ago I changed to aspen bedding and the first time I fed my snake on it she got a big piece of it stuck in her mouth. I had to take it out of her mouth and in the process I got bitten by her.

I started feeding outside of her enclosure from then on and I really don't like it. She's always snappy after she eats and I just feel like I'm stressing her out moving her so much around feeding time. I'm considering just going back to newspaper- it's a lot easier and quicker than feeding in a separate enclosure.
    ~~Cole

0.1 Normal BP

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    I would much rather feed in the same enclosure that my snake stays in, and IMO it's the right way to do it. But, a few weeks ago I changed to aspen bedding and the first time I fed my snake on it she got a big piece of it stuck in her mouth. I had to take it out of her mouth and in the process I got bitten by her.

I started feeding outside of her enclosure from then on and I really don't like it. She's always snappy after she eats and I just feel like I'm stressing her out moving her so much around feeding time. I'm considering just going back to newspaper- it's a lot easier and quicker than feeding in a separate enclosure.
    If you feed F/t you could put the prey item on a piece of paper towel. I always do that. They just much it right of the ground. Kinda like eating off a plate! lol
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Depends all but two of mine feed in there tub. I guess it depends on the snake?

Daniel

Thanks

When I got my bp, I asked the shop what their feeding habits were (how,when,what they were fed) and decided to stick to the same. I feed live every 6 days (bumped up from their every 7) and feed in a separate tank. My bp does not seem the least bit stressed during the proccess. I have the seperate tank setup, place the mouse while its still in the little carry box into the tank, place my bp in the same tank, wait 15 mins so my bp is rareing to go, reach in tank with a gloved hand to remove mouse box, place mouse back into tank, wammo, within seconds the snake has the mouse and eats. I then wait at least 15 minutes after the snake finishes swallowing it's meal before I reach in with clean,washed hands to remove the snake and place back into it's home enclosure. Works every time with no problems of stress or aggression whatsover. I use aspen bedding in my enclosure as well as alot of other space filler plants,two hides,and a big water bowl. There isn't much open room in there for anything else. I feel more comfortable feeding in another tub and it seems to be going well with my snake too. This way I don't have to worry about my bp ingesting any substrate either. Whatever works!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think "whatever works" are the operative words here. Plenty of people are successful at feeding in separate containers...and if it's working for them, there's nothing wrong with doing it that way. What gets a bit frustrating is the reason that most are given as to why they should feed in a specific feeding box. The whole issue about snakes associating your hand with food if you feed them inside their enclosure is bunk. BUT...if you want to give other reasons...such as reducing the chance to ingest substrate, containing any mess, a smelly box priming the snake to eat, it's what the snake is used to, etc....that's fine and nothing wrong with either method.

What makes it all sound so conflicting is when folks insist (either intentionally or unintentionally) that their way of doing it is the only right way.
    -- Judy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (02-26-2017)

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Quickone4u View Post
    When I got my bp, I asked the shop what their feeding habits were (how,when,what they were fed) and decided to stick to the same. I feed live every 6 days (bumped up from their every 7) and feed in a separate tank. My bp does not seem the least bit stressed during the proccess. I have the seperate tank setup, place the mouse while its still in the little carry box into the tank, place my bp in the same tank, wait 15 mins so my bp is rareing to go, reach in tank with a gloved hand to remove mouse box, place mouse back into tank, wammo, within seconds the snake has the mouse and eats. I then wait at least 15 minutes after the snake finishes swallowing it's meal before I reach in with clean,washed hands to remove the snake and place back into it's home enclosure. Works every time with no problems of stress or aggression whatsover. I use aspen bedding in my enclosure as well as alot of other space filler plants,two hides,and a big water bowl. There isn't much open room in there for anything else. I feel more comfortable feeding in another tub and it seems to be going well with my snake too. This way I don't have to worry about my bp ingesting any substrate either. Whatever works!

Hmm My situation is the same my cages (20 gal) have hides on warm end big branches workings as a hides on cool end and big water bowls. I use bark instead of aspen but anyway i dont to much space for a food in enclosure... and my snakes do looks like stressed because of whole procedure of feeding in sep tank...
    Damm Im confused right now

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Angel View Post
    Hmm My situation is the same my cages (20 gal) have hides on warm end big branches workings as a hides on cool end and big water bowls. I use bark instead of aspen but anyway i dont to much space for a food in enclosure... and my snakes do looks like stressed because of whole procedure of feeding in sep tank...
    Damm Im confused right now
    They really don't need any wide open spaces to eat or anything. If you feed live, a snake might get a bit of a work-out chasing a bouncing rodent around a crowded cage. Some might "enjoy" the hunt, and others might get frustrated and give up and wait for "easier" prey. If yours is one that gives up, you may have to tweak your methods a bit. Either less cage "furniture"....or pre-killed or f/t prey....or feeding in a separate tub....or whatever you come up with.

Everyone's circumstances are a little bit different, and snakes have their own unique preferences as well. Nothing wrong with experimenting and tweaking to find the combination of methods that works best for you. Personally, I'd start with whatever seems the simplest solution and see if it works. If it doesn't, then wait a week and try again, tweaking the next simplest variable....etc.
    -- Judy

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (06-18-2009),Quickone4u (06-19-2009)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast