Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,656

1 members and 2,655 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Should I feed my BP in a different tank?

Just wanted to let you all know that I fed Smaug for the first time today. He took f/t in his regular tank with no problem. All the advice and opinions are much appreciated!
    1.0 normal BP - Smaug
    1.0 sunkissed corn - Eustace
    2.1 entirely abnormal cats - Max, Logan, Guinevere (aka Guinnie)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    They really don't need any wide open spaces to eat or anything. If you feed live, a snake might get a bit of a work-out chasing a bouncing rodent around a crowded cage. Some might "enjoy" the hunt, and others might get frustrated and give up and wait for "easier" prey. If yours is one that gives up, you may have to tweak your methods a bit. Either less cage "furniture"....or pre-killed or f/t prey....or feeding in a separate tub....or whatever you come up with.

Everyone's circumstances are a little bit different, and snakes have their own unique preferences as well. Nothing wrong with experimenting and tweaking to find the combination of methods that works best for you. Personally, I'd start with whatever seems the simplest solution and see if it works. If it doesn't, then wait a week and try again, tweaking the next simplest variable....etc.
    Exactly! This is just what works for me. I like it and my snake seems to also. It may not work for anybody else or others may not like my method so just try different things until you find your and your snakes happy medium

Thanks

A big THANK YOU for this thread. Just about EVERYTHING I've read on the Internet advises to feed in a separate container so the snake doesn't mistake your hand for food. I'm thinking that surely snakes are smarter than that!

We fed our new little snake in a paper grocery bag put inside its tank so that it still had its heating pad under it. It ate, but I didn't like moving it out of and then back into its tank, especially with a full belly. But hey, I don't know anything about snakes and so followed all that advice.

Amen for this thread. It confirmed my gut feeling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oliverstwist View Post
    i used to feed in a seprate box until a few weeks ago,

Constance, my klover girl who is never show a stressed hair or a mean thought, was eating like always. normal normal. I went to go pick her up and she darted and got out. I went to go grab her and got tagged by a hissing snake who was wagging her tail at me.

It was RIGHT then, that i was done with that because if CONSTANCE is doing that, the Elijah will tag me from that really fast! He is my booger
    Touching or moving a hungry snake or one that has just eaten and is still in a hyped up hunting mode does up your risks of getting tagged in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Angel View Post
    Uuuuu that's not good
    You telling me that for last two years I was screwing up feeding in separate container?
    Hmm I newer have problem with feeding only one time when I got bitten was when mouse pee all over the petco box and some scent got on my hands and I forgot wash them before taking snake out.
    Hmm I'm in the proces of changing enclosures because by babies outgrowning 20 gal tanks so I'm gonna try start feed in.....
    Nope no one is telling you that you've "screwed up". All anyone is doing really is expressing their opinions and sharing their personal experiences with feeding methods. In the end, do what works - for you and more importantly for your snake. As long as you've done your homework and fully understand the reasons behind why you make any decision about the husbandry of your snake, then it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    Just wanted to let you all know that I fed Smaug for the first time today. He took f/t in his regular tank with no problem. All the advice and opinions are much appreciated!
    Glad to hear the feeding went well!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I really think its better to put it in a seperate container like a tub...ball pythons may get stress but will get use to it and wont mind it anymore in the future...try to start as soon as possible...if you are going to do one stick to it dont change the course around...also ball pythons can digest bedding and die unless using paper towels
    0.1 Normal BP (Bella)
    BG FAN!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psycho View Post
    I really think its better to put it in a seperate container like a tub...ball pythons may get stress but will get use to it and wont mind it anymore in the future...try to start as soon as possible...if you are going to do one stick to it dont change the course around...also ball pythons can digest bedding and die unless using paper towels
    Could you please explain fully why you think it's better to use a seperate container? Also can you back up your assertion that ball pythons regularily die from undigested bedding ingested during feeding? I'm not trying to be difficult here but I do think when you make statements of fact, rather than just giving an opinion, you ought to back it up either with statistics or with extensive personal experience.
    ~~Joanna~~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

rabernet (07-03-2009)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123