Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,312

4 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

I hate ticks!!!!

So...short story.

I have gotten sick a few times in the pass couple of months. I posted one of them about just having a simple sore throat. The thing is, I never get sick. At the time I was also having trouble running. I would go for a run, and around the 4 or 5 mile mark my feet would start to tingle and go numb as if I had poor circulation. It was all odd. Then I began getting really bad nigh sweats. My wife and mother were concerned and gave me orders to go to the Dr. even tho I was feeling fine at the time.

While I was at the Dr. they took blood and ran tests on my Kidneys, liver, and took xrays of my lungs. They found nothing wrong. However over easter I was at my uncles cabin in northern Wisconsin. An area where Lyme's disease is very common. The Dr. did a lymes test on me which came back positive. She took another one just to double check seeings everything else on my checked out fine. Well unfortunately that test also came back positive. So I am now on Doryx for 3 weeks.

I NEVER found a tick on myself, nor did I find the infamous bullseye bite mark on myself. My wife and myself made several thorough checks on my body looking for anything. We never found anything.

Well about an hour ago from posting this. Something was itching on my wasteband. I scratched it and pulled at something, looked between my fingers and sure enough, there was a semi-engorged tick. I am fairly sure it is a deer tick as it is very small and almond in color.

I am absolutely flabbergasted. I dont know how I missed that or if I just got ANOTHER one. I WAS out of town for the weekend. I was in Kansas and visited my inlaws who own acreage in the country. I did not venture out in the grass much. It is just weird. I feel dirty. What the heck is going on? Is it possible that this tick could have been on me since easter and it was so small at the time I just missed it? Ugh...I am going to call my nurse and tell her about it tomorrow and see what she says. At least I am already on antibiotics.

I am going to have the heebee jeebees for weeks now! I can not stop itching! Ugh. I hate ticks.

Sorry, this wasn't very short. Just needed to vent.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Registered User carrieres102584's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: I hate ticks!!!!

I hate ticks with a passion. I was fishing a few weeks ago and saw one crawling up my jeans. Eeewwwww.
    0.1 albino ball (Eleanor Rigby)
    1.0 het albino ball (Jeremy Hillary Boob)
    1.0 pastel phet ghost ball (Mick Jagger)
    0.1 norm ball (Mrs. Lovett)
    0.1.0 albino pacman frog (Keith Richards)
    0.1.0 albino pacman frog (Paul McCartney)
    0.2 kitties (Jerry Garcia & Layne Staley)
    0.1 mini schnauzer (Elliott Smith)
    0.1 rottweiler (Angel)
    1.0 german shepherd (Astro)
    0.1 fiance (Christina)

Thanks

Yep! Ticks suck! Hope you get better with a quickness!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Chances are the one that originally infected you dropped off and you didn't even notice. It doesn't take long.

The little ones perch themselves on the ends of branches and long stalks of grass with specially designed hooks one the ends of their front feet fully extended to catch on the hair of passing animals. That is likely the way you got them both. If you're not looking carefully, you'll never even see them.

Plus, if you're hairy, or bitten in a hair covered spot, missing the bullseye is understandable.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

ticks are bad this year. I've never even seen on on me before, but this year I've gotten them every time I've gone hiking.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

I am sorry to hear that Josh Lyme's disease is NO JOKE!!! Sorry bro
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's not likely that it's the same tick that caused your illness. Most likely it's another tick. I've heard some people can go months before it gets to the point of feeling sick. Good thing you found out though, the father of one of my sons friends had it for over a year before they could figure out what was wrong with him. They thought he was going to die he lost so much weight and was always in pain. One of my co-workers has a daughter who had it for several years before they could find out what was wrong. She would get really sick, then get better again and a few months later get really sick again.

BTW, did you know that Lyme diseased probably originated in MN?
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Ya, I didnt think it was the same one. But I am pretty positive it is a deer tick.

I am starting to wonder if the Lymes will return once I finish my antibiotics from this new tick if it IS a deer tick. I have heard that the disease can go undetected for weeks, months, and years before one shows symptoms. I duno...it is frustrating. I have a feeling I will be doing periodical lymes tests for the next few months just for peace of mind.

I am happy that I did find it early. Like you mark, I have a friend whos mother was infected for a while before they found it. She was practically on bed rest for a month before she felt like gettin up. I am FAR from that. But it still taunts me in the back of my mind.

And yes, I am pretty sure I got it from Minnesota/Wisconsin. I was diagnosed with it about 2 weeks ago and went to Kansas a week after that.

Has anyone known anybody who has caught it early and was able to get rid of it with just the few weeks of antibiotics. I am really hoping I kick it with this prescription, I really dont want to be on it forever. I have to basically avoid the sun...yeah summer. And I can't drink beer...that is the worst.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks

ugh.. sorry to hear about your tick situation, but at least you caught the disease early enough where antibiotics will take care of it. My oldest sons godfather was bit years ago by a tick and went undiagnosed with Lymes disease. He not only was constantly sick, but the disease also ate away his hip bones and he needed surgery to replace both. Hope you get better soon.
    Doris

Thanks

Man, i pulled a tick off my leg a few weekends back, and pulled 3 off my dog, he is on advantix too. I think im gonna get checked out for lymes, im not feeling sick at all, but this thread has me worried now. Good luck to you buddy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast