Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

3 members and 3,110 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts

Aspen vs Reptile Bark

I wanna know your opinion about aspen beding vs reptile bark
    Their pros and lows
    I swich to bark like 1.5 year ago and don't have problem with sheding anymore and in my opinion in glass tank ball looks better on dark bark than light aspen

Ridgecrest, California...Gateway to Death Valley!
    Thanks

Re: Aspen vs Reptile Bark

You basically answered your own question. Its good you found what you like, and the snake sheds correctly. Everyne has different needs. I use aspen when its really humid and I dont want high humidity. I use Newspaper when the humidity is perfect for cost effectiveness and ease or of cleaning. I use Cypress Mulch when its really dry in my house this helps me rise humidity in my racks..

Thanks

Cypress mulch is a lot less 'dirt'y than repti bark. And is a nice looking alternative.

Aspen is easier to spot clean and doesn't look bad either. Can be bad for allergies though.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i like coco husk.not as dusty as reptibark and holds humidity better than aspen.another thing about reptibark is it is died.a few chunks went into a waterbowl and the next day the water was red.i cant see that being good.

Thanks

I actually use a 50/50 split of the two in my tank that holds my little het. It's a mix of repti bark and aspen and it works great with humidity.
    ]

Thanks

Since I live in FL, I dont really have a humidity issue and I use aspen in my tank (plus tin foil over the screen)
    Kevin

1.0 Normal Ball: Luther
    0.1 Pastel Ball
    1.0 Spider Ball

Thanks

I use aspen but I have a humidity hide available at all times for most of snakes. In the hide I use a eco earth, organic potting soil, and sand mixture. The reason for the mixture is I needed to find a better substrate hen eco earth for my leopard gecko's humid hides so the eggs did't dry out before I got them which happened sometimes with eco earth. It works great for me. I just keep the hide moist and when the snakes go into shed they spend most of their time in the hide.

Thanks

I have used aspen without any problems from the beginning and it works well for me.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XGetSome View Post
    You basically answered your own question. Its good you found what you like, and the snake sheds correctly. Everyne has different needs. I use aspen when its really humid and I dont want high humidity. I use Newspaper when the humidity is perfect for cost effectiveness and ease or of cleaning. I use Cypress Mulch when its really dry in my house this helps me rise humidity in my racks..

I've been using newspaper (actually the unprinted packing paper from Home Depot) because it is cheap and easy, and my humidity has been perfect. I have only had the enclosure set up for a month, so come winter I may have some humidity issues. You stated that you switch substrates. Would changing substrates occasionally stress out the snake?

Thanks,

George

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

my favorite set up EVER,was a 30 breeder,with reptibark,2 rock water dishes,2 hides with dark mulch hot glued to them,and some cool drift wood pieces in it,but paying 20 bucks a month on substrate kinda sucked,and i couldnt find the cage substrate cleaner local to was it with as recomended from the company,so i switched to news paper,then to sani chips,and now some on mulch some on aspen shavings,cleanliness,couldnt beat news paper,when i had mulch in my burm tank,hed shread his skin when he shed,and that was a pain to clean out,so hes on aspen now,but i dislike aspen,as it can stick on some of the snakes and can be difficult to vaccum off the carpet if its not done right away,,,long story short,,,what works for you and your animals?
    1.0 blonde pastel,1.8 normal,1.1 het orange ghost 1.0 het butterscotch 0.1 het green ghost 0.1 het albino 0.1 rtb 0.1 yellow anaconda 1.0 borneo blood 1.0 albino burmese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast