Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,254

0 members and 3,254 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Strange looking retic

Hey everyone, I have the chance to pick up a retic but the thing is she has looks a bit strange. She has what was described to me as a spongy mass under her chin. It kinda looks like right where her throat starts, her she has an adams apple or something. The seller says that shes had it forever and it doesnt affect her at all. I just want to make sure that this isnt a disease or illness that will just end in a loss for me. Have you guys ever seen anything like that on any retic?

Thanks

Re: Strange looking retic

If I was you I would just start out with a cb baby from a reliable breeder with a good reputation. I have two retics and neither have an "adams apple"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said

Has he taken it to a vet or would he let you examine the inside of its mouth?

I can't see the advantage in buying a snake with a possible problem - especially if it is a long term one.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

I say: look else where.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Sounds like a mout rot type issue possibly, I'd steer WAY clear. Even if it HAS had it forever, and it's never seemed to be an issue. I would think getting a perfect healthy animal would be a better bet. One vet bill could really run up high for a exam and reatment if it is some sort of mass or infection.
    Run away.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I might just gamble it and make sure I take all the precautions to prevent spreading pathogens. I have a quarantine area since 6 months probably doesnt pass without a new herp coming in. I hope no one takes this as me just throwing your advice away though since I definitely weighed your opinions in when doing the pros vs cons game. Either way I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STi View Post
    Thanks everyone. I might just gamble it and make sure I take all the precautions to prevent spreading pathogens. I have a quarantine area since 6 months probably doesnt pass without a new herp coming in. I hope no one takes this as me just throwing your advice away though since I definitely weighed your opinions in when doing the pros vs cons game. Either way I'll let you guys know what happens.
    Best of luck! =)

I hope that everything works out well, for both you and your new Retic!

Definitely keep us posted!

Thanks

just make sure you take her to a vet and get her checked out. Our female has had to go to the vet a few times. Shes a very bad pusher. Shes actually the only snake we have that does it. But he had to tape the vents on the inside of her vision cage so try to make it softer because she messes her face up so bad pushing all the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    just make sure you take her to a vet and get her checked out. Our female has had to go to the vet a few times. Shes a very bad pusher. Shes actually the only snake we have that does it. But he had to tape the vents on the inside of her vision cage so try to make it softer because she messes her face up so bad pushing all the time.
    What temps do You keep her at?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by STi View Post
    There's way too many Healthy Retics available to buy one with problems!!!!!!