Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,299

2 members and 3,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hatchling still not shed

My hatchling come out of the egg on April 29th. I had the umbilcal attached which fell off a few weeks later. This animals still hasn't shed and I have seen no signs of it going in to shed. the animal has a small scab still from where the umbilcal was. the biggest problem with this is that the animals shows no interest in eating. i force fed a fuzzy the other night in hopes of kick starting the animal. i also have started to treat the scab with small amounts of neosporin (the right kind) as i am at a loss of what to do.

anyone with any experience with this? anyone with suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Hatchling still not shed

I have seen similar issues with some of my hatchlings. I keep moist paper towels in the tub along with a hiding spot. I use an upside down plastic bowl with a hole drilled in it just big enough for them to fit through. When they refuse to eat for several weeks, i start assist feeding them prekilled pinky mice weekly. I always offer them a live crawler mouse first, then if they wont take it, i would assist feed them a prekilled pinky. Sometimes it takes several months of this routine to get them eating regularly. I would worry more about the not eating part than i would his shed issue.

Here are the biggest keys to remember:

1. Make sure he has the proper temperature. For new hatchlings, I use 85 degrees F for ambient temps and 95 degrees F for the belly heat.
    2. Give him a hide box and don't mess with him except the once / week feeding attemps. Leave him completely alone until he starts eating regularly. Remember, force / assist feeding is very stressful on you and the snake.
    3. Make sure his enclosure is the correct size. The correct size for an enclosure for a new hatchling is a shoe box size container. Bigger is not better.
    4. Keep the humidity up (60% is what i recommend). Use damp, not wet, paper towels in his tray / tub.
    5. Always have clean fresh water in his enclosure.
    6. Be patient and keep a close eye on his appearance. If he gets thin or his skin starts to wrinkle, he is probably dehydrated and you should take him to a vet that specalizes in snakes. You don't want to lose him.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ron

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ramreptiles For This Useful Post:

Lucas339 (06-11-2009)

Thanks

everything you mentioned has been done and is part of my day to day with this little one. it is odd to me that after a month it still hasn't shed.

Thanks

It is odd, but it is those kinds of things that keeps us all crazy. Keep up the good work, and hopefully things will fall into place.

Thanks

thanks

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

It happens occasionally. Just keep an eye out and keep the husbandry up to par.

It will shed out eventually.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

has it defficated yet? was the deffication normal looking?
    07 1.0 lesser platinum 07 1.0 Mojave 05 1.0 pastel 05 0.2 normals 08 0.1 woma 08 0.1 spider 03 0.1 normal
    '07 0.2 nomals'09 1.1 lesser platinums 09 1.3 normals 06 1.0 Iguana 07 1.1 Albino corns 07 Blue Chihuahua and a wife

Thanks

I had the same thing happen with one of my YB babies. She still has not ate or shed yet. She still has a little scab too. I have tried to feed her a few times. It has only been about 2 weeks. So not to worried yet. She too has not shed. Im hoping she makes it, she is a really nice looking YB.

Thanks

Wow 5 weeks without a 1st shed... I have only hit just shy of 3 weeks as my longest. The above husbandry is good advice. Though I never attempt feeding before the 1st shed though I have never had it go as long as you have.

make sure to keep good humidity though with the moist paper towels make sure your baby still has dry areas also being forced to stay on wet all the time can cause issues also.

As for feeding with out assist then try the newspaper method keep them in a 6-7 qt tub fill it half way with loosely crumpled news paper... put the snake in it and a live pink or fuzzy something that is not big enough to hurt your baby and let them stay over night then check in the moring.

This works for me on problem feeders...
    I think it is combination of things
    1. The newspaper gives them security because they can crawl through or under it and feel hidden
    2. The noise of the live Pink/Fuzzy moving through it
    3. The Vibration of the live pink/Fuzzy moving through it, if it touches or moves a piece the snake is in contact with they can sense the movement.

Just a suggestion that works for me.

Keep us Posted!

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

If in more than a month and a few weeks or so (6-8) they have not shed, then would be more of the time to worry...
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast