Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

3 members and 3,152 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

And he is down for the count......

I have had Rios for almost a month now and his is on his first shed cycle since I have gotten him.!!!!!!.... Today is his third day in the hide with out even moving. I have a wet wash cloth draped over his hide and log so that his humidity is up. I normally have been able to catch him drinking but he has not drank form his water bowl in the last couple of days. .. .How long can a 109 gram baby BP go with out water? Oh yeah, his eyes are completely blue right now, so I am not even attempting to feed him until he is done with the shed. And I draped the wet wash clotho for the humidity because he is in a 55 gallon tank.... and before any one says anything.. I know that every one will say that a 55 gallon tank is too much and not neccessary. I have his tank set up to optimal conditions adn use the wash cloth to make it easier increase the humidity when it is needed.
    1 baby normal ball python (male- Rios)
    1 baby spider ball python (female - Missy)
    1 albino checkered garter (male - Little Dude)
    1 checkered garter (male - Hudinie)
    1 albion checkered garter (female - Rescue)

Thanks

Re: And he is down for the count......

are you sure he's not drinking? he may just be comming out when your not around...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Well normally they move around at night, and since he's in blue right now, he'll probably not move at all til his eyes clear, he'll be fine. i'd get rid of the wash cloths, and use natural sea sponge or spagnum moss to up the humidity
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobbi View Post
    are you sure he's not drinking? he may just be comming out when your not around...
    He very possibly mgiht be... but I stay up pretty late, and the last three days/ nights he has not been coming out of his hide. I check under his hide twice a day to make sure that he is ok and alive, but I do not want to bother him too much since his eyes are blue....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    Well normally they move around at night, and since he's in blue right now, he'll probably not move at all til his eyes clear, he'll be fine. i'd get rid of the wash cloths, and use natural sea sponge or spagnum moss to up the humidity
    what is sea sponge or spagnum moss? and is it cheap and where can I get it? and how easy is it for cleaning? I figured with the wash cloth I can alwyas toss it in the washing machine when it gets dirty.... right now I am more concerned about just upping the humidity when he is in shed. Other wise i live in the Bay Area, CA and the normal humidity is just fine for when he is not in shed. (so at that time there is no wash cloth in the tank). He is in a 55 gallon so it is quite a bit easier to increase the humidity inside of his hide and the adjoining half log, then it is to increase the humidity in the whole tank.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think the washcloth is fine, so long as you switch it out for a fresh one every day or two so it doesn't get nasty. The test will be in how well he sheds.

Don't worry about if he's drinking or not. So long as you supply the fresh water, he'll take what he needs when he needs it.
    -- Judy