Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

2 members and 3,352 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation I have never posted here but I have found a hurt bull

Ok so I had to find a computer just to ask for help on this. I live in an area where there are no reptile rescues. And I do not have the means to transport a hurt snake very far.
    So I always stop on the road to help snakes and other animals cross, and take pics of said animals. Well 2 days ago I saw what I thought was a rattler, and was going to stop and take a pic....from a distance, but when I pulled the car over I saw it was a bull snake. It was coiled on the shoulder of the road, and looked just fine. My husband wanted to move it to our garden at the in law's house, to help out with pest controll, and get it off the road, it was only about 2 miles from where the in laws live.
    Well any way when we got it to move a bit we noticed it would only move in one direction, and after a couple days of keeping it nice and toasty, I took a good look at it.
    It seems to have stopped its moving only one direction, but one eye seems odd, its head is always cocked to one side. if you move your hand on the right side of its head it turnes to look, on the left it does not move at all. I looked closer at its eyes, the right side its eye looks normal, on the left the pupil is huge, and does not react to changes in light.
    I think it may have been hit by a car, but I still want to help it, they are too good of an animal to just let die. I am keeping it toasty, and contained, it has water, so it does not dehydrate. it feels a bit thin, but seems active, other than the head tilt.

As for its temperment, it seems strange for a bull, all the ones I have run into wanted to bite my face off, this one is insanely calm.

I know it is bad to take animals out of the wild, but this poor thing was most likely hurt by man, so it is only right that I try and help it.

Thank you
    Jamie

Thanks

Re: I have never posted here but I have found a hurt bull

If it feeds, I don't see what the problem is.

Wild snakes receive injuries, and it just sounds like it's blind.

Can you post a pic?
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

He should be fine, bullsnakes are very tough animals. I've known a few that have been run over by cars and healed up to live normal lives. Bullsnakes are more visual hunters then many other species, but they've still been known to get along fine without their sight, as long as they can smell their prey. Have you tried feeding it yet?

I've never been a big fan of releasing any animal that has been captive for very long. There is always the possibility, however slim, that they could pick up an exotic disease or a parasite from another animal in your collection and pass it on to the wild population with devastating effects. Have you considered keeping him as a forever pet?
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I would try feeding him and keep him as a pet- as the poster above suggested.

Above all- THANK YOU for taking him in and making sure he's okay

Thanks

I love Bulls, and yes I do not believe in taking aniamls from the wild....
    What we do here, as we run a large reptile and amphibian rescue.
    If we recieve native wildlife, they are completely isolated from any "exotics". They see a veterinarian immediatly and are treated for release. As stated above this may not always be possible. But with the right percautions and the right DVM TX it does work. I have released turtles with 3 legs that I have found a year to two years later in good health.
    Something to say about any animal, ecspecially wild herps is they are tough. If your vet clears it for take off (even with being blind in one eye, if that is the issue) then so be it.
    It's up to you. In my opinion WC is always better going back to the wild. Just my opinion with what I deal with every day. (even thou it may not be the popular vote).
    I hope the Bull is ok. A vet could probably help you the best. But if he is moving, living, eating and pooing (and has been isolated completely) and has your Vet reccomendation for release. Then why not.There are always CB animals available. Just my opinion.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

None of our local vets would even look at him. One even said I should smash its head in and be done with it.
    Once I get back to where I have my own computer hooked up I will post a pic. My hubby thinks it is a boy so our daughter said to name it and keep it. Yes it is blind in one eye, it seems to be moving around better. on the blind side the pupil is fully dialated, and still does not respond to any light.

I put it in a spare tub I had, its about the size of a 20gal tank, gave it a water dish, and we are keeping the temps between 75 and 85.

This bull does not act like any wild bull i have ever seen, it does not get huffy, no hissing, nothing.....the day i took it out to look it over it just wound around my hand and let me look it over.
    I tryed to feed it once, with no luck...I'm wondering if the differance in smell in the domestic mice vs the wild mice may confuse it.

well Britten may be staying with us, but we'll see.

Thanks

i seen injured snakes be reall mellow due to the injury but i give it some time and remember it may bite at any time.. I removed a black rat monday and the guy was freaking out the entire time i was outside the guy's house but once away from people he mellowed right out and just chilled in my lap for 2 hours and i released him in hte yard (since i was within a mile of his place of capture), not seen him since but i know he around the number of mice in the shed has dropped already lol.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

I agree with the above statement. Sometimes you will find that an injured animal may seem "nice & friendly" by human standards, but in the long run as a wild animal it should act wild so to speak. Many injured animals (not just our beloved herps) do go through shock. It still amazes me to this day how reptiles can be so tough after going through something traumatic
    I hope he is still fairing well
    Any updates? And if you need help finding a reputable herp vet this forum can help you.
    I hope all is well with the poor thing
    Rusty
    (PS If you keep him I would name him one eyed willie)
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

If you are still in the semi local area, I would go to Dr Stonecipher, Dakota Hills, in Rapid City. Great herp vet!
    1.1 CRT Boa -Anery 100% Het Snow . , Salmon 66% P. Het Snow
    3.5 Normal BP Some are P. Het for Axanthic, and Snow
    1.1 Mojave BP
    1.0 Spider BP
    0.1 Pastel BP
    2.0 Fire BP
    1.0 Ghost
    0.1 Possible Axanthic

Thanks

Hows the snake doing after some time?
    Thanks