Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,375

3 members and 3,372 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New setup for Shai

My husband and I hauled our hineys out to Walpole on Sunday to take a look around the Bird&Reptile Connection. It was so-so, especially for an hour 1/2 drive. My lovely mate decided since we made the trip, we should just get the new tank we've been thinking about. Woo hoo!!

So here's the old one first. It's pretty stripped down, I didn't keep her in there like this.

And the new one! She seems much more comfortable now. I just have to cover up the wires and it will be finished! For now anyway....

I break for turtles.

Thanks

Re: New setup for Shai

looks pretty good but better get rid of that half log...it's just horrible hide for the snake.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PrioBull For This Useful Post:

TheNunciate (06-08-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PrioBull View Post
    looks pretty good but better get rid of that half log...it's just horrible hide for the snake.
    Why is it terrible? She uses it most of the time, helps her shed too.
    I break for turtles.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Of course shes gonna use them thats all she has to Feel somewhat Secure. They dont give enough sense of security to ball pythons. you need to get 2 identical hides that have on way in and one way out. Either plastic bowls or the exo terra caves.

Sooner or later the log hides will casue a problem with stress which will develop into a picky eater.

Also the Stick on thermometer are garbage you will not get a surface temp. you need to get a digital with a probe to be layed on the surface of the warm side, and one for the cool side.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

TheNunciate (06-08-2009)

Thanks

I actually have 2 digital thermometers inside, a hygrometer and thermostat for the light & UTH. The stick on therm is only for a rough idea of the internal temperature of the tank on the warm side. I maintain vigilant observation of both temperature and humidity on both sides of the tank. Shai's eating habits have improved drastically in the short time we've owned her. It may not show it in the photo but the rear section of the log hide is partially blocked with a high layer of substrate that offers more seclusion but still open enough to permit egress. She fills up almost the entire space beneath the log when she's curled up.

I don't mean to poo poo on your advice. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to offer your input and I respect the fact that you are more experienced than me, but I feel the need to point out that I had thought of that and elected to use the log hide anyway with some minor adjustments which appear to be working out just great. I had a hard time finding anything that was suitable from the stores I've been to and I really just don't like the look of the plastic tubs.
    Last edited by TheNunciate; 06-08-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: more details
    I break for turtles.