Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,445

2 members and 3,443 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup Revampage

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Setup Revampage

This all started a couple weeks ago when my bp stopped eating. I used this glorious nest of knowledge to fix the many husbandry issues with my 40g tank. But still, she would not eat. I left her alone, kept all temps and humidity pristine, but nothing.

So I decided to move her from her 40 back to my 20L per other members' suggestions. And that's what I did today. I set everything up. The cool side and ambient temps are a little low right now as everything heats up, but the warm side is spot on. Also, I was not able to put in my homemade hides yet because the spray paint fumes haven't disappeared yet. Hence the crappy Cheerios box hides.

While I was moving her however, I noticed something strange with her lower jaw. It looked like a bit of it was pushed outward, as if she couldn't rehinge her jaw properly the last time she ate. Now I hope it hasn't been like that for almost a month, but it would explain the refusal of food.

I didn't open up her mouth because I feel I could do more harm then good. But I intend to take her to a vet tomorrow to get checked out. Also while I'm there, I can get her probed to finally find out if she's a girl (I'm hoping! ). Would they charge extra for that?

Lastly, does anyone have any good experiences with a vet in MA or southern NH? I have one down at school, but never needed one here. I live in north central MA. There are a bunch near me, I just don't know which is best.

Thanks and wish her luck!

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: Setup Revampage

The setup looks good. Good luck at the vets.

By the way, don't bet your life on the vets probing. I have a VERY respected herp vet in my town that mis-sexed 3 out of 15 snakes I once had him probe.

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    The setup looks good. Good luck at the vets.

By the way, don't bet your life on the vets probing. I have a VERY respected herp vet in my town that mis-sexed 3 out of 15 snakes I once had him probe.

Mike
    How can it be that difficult? Isn't there a clear difference between the depth the probe goes in? I'd do it myself if I knew how.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrshawt View Post
    How can it be that difficult? Isn't there a clear difference between the depth the probe goes in? I'd do it myself if I knew how.
    yeh, with females the depth is much shorter.
    theres lots of videos on utube just type "popping ball pythons" or whatever.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Mine's an adult, making popping more difficult for a newbie at it. And I can see thousands of how to videos and still not be comfortable doing it myself. Thanks anyways.

Thanks

The only herp vet I have been to in this state is Dr. Mertz at NE Wildlife in Weymouth. He's excellent. That would be a bit of a drive for you, but in a pinch, I would always recommend him!

If by North Central MA, you mean the Acton or Fitchburg area, then I don't know anybody out there. Hopefully another member from the area can chime in. You can't be too far from NERD - I wonder who they use for a vet?

edit: Also, be careful with unrecommended "herp" vets. I got ripped off by taking my snake to a supposed reptile vet who knew less than I did about herps. They will charge you an arm and a leg for a useless visit. Try asking around on Craigslist or with any local herpers that you may know.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl View Post
    The only herp vet I have been to in this state is Dr. Mertz at NE Wildlife in Weymouth. He's excellent. That would be a bit of a drive for you, but in a pinch, I would always recommend him!

If by North Central MA, you mean the Acton or Fitchburg area, then I don't know anybody out there. Hopefully another member from the area can chime in. You can't be too far from NERD - I wonder who they use for a vet?
    Fitchburg area, yes. I know of a couple: Merrimack, Nashua, Westborough, and Chelmsford. I've heard that Nashua is way overpriced, though.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I ended up going to Chelmsford, and I was very pleased with everything. It was busy but they had good service and very nice people.

Turns out there was nothing wrong (hooray!) except for a stuck eye cap. I have some stuff for it.

They also probed it and told me it was a male. I even watched them do it. It went in 4 scales length, but it looked like a lot was in. After looking online, it said most males probe about 8-10 scales in. I'm so confused now!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Can anyone help me on this? The snake is over 3 ft long, weighs about 1200g. Would 4 subcaudal scales be deep enough to be a male?

Thanks

Ive read 6-8 for males. I bought my own probes and watched and rewatched a whole bunch of sexing video tutorials and practiced popping and probing on all my known males and females until I got to my one unknown and probed him and that was that. Anyway Im gonna bet you have a male. Oh and if you cant pop him because he's an adultand has good control of his hemipenes and overall cloacal area, then you can hold him like youre gonna pop him and feel around the area where his hemipenes are tucked and you can actually feel them. I am not suggesting that you do that, I just tried it on my males and females and only the males have em.
    ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast