Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,699

2 members and 2,697 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Question Work in progress!

I have 2 young snakes (haven't weighed/measured but maybe length of my arm from palm to elbow), and after reading all the threads on here about 'to keep together or not to keep together' I decided seperating them was a good idea. One of them seemed to be definately dominant and it didn't help that he started shedding and we handle the other snake more often. Poor thing might not be liking that too much! I'm going to put a stop to him being taken-out for a week and see if that helps any. (DH force-fed him a couple days ago because he wouldn't eat)

I also moved my 55 gallon tank outside on my front porch after reading another thread by someone else in my lovely state of FL who had done it while cleaning the snake room, and noticed how much his snakes loved it. I had a ****ens of a time with the humidity and it never got above 41%! (not below 39%, but still) Guess my central a/c works good. I also got not-so-good temps the cage. I have some poster board on the back to keep reflection down, etc. but it's certainly not insulating.

I am in the process of getting my snakes the proper hides as right now they each have a log-thing with some holes in it I got at Michaels. I'll take a picture of the tank with my iPhone and see about uploading it soon as I can. They seem to like the log-thing, though!

Questions now -
    My ambient temps still vary about 10 degrees, at most. The low-end is around 73 at night and gets in the 80's during the day. My humidity is much more stable and higher, now. Usually it's in the 80's. A couple times the first day I put them out there it registered as "hi" but it's been really rainy here the last few days. Is there such a thing as too much humidity? The top of the tank is actually 2 pieces of wood with holes drilled and since I have it outside I wrapped them in cheesecloth to try and keep out critters.

My biggest concern is I have a UTH on one side, but not the other, since this was originally supposed to be a one-tank-fits-both situation. I have a heating pad I can put under my second snake, but not sure if that can be a long-term solution. Also, how am I going to provide a 'cool side' hide to the snake with the UTH under his entire side?!

I was worried my one snake (the much-handled one) might be sick, but I think all the moving, changing, etc. has probably just worn him out. So I'm going to leave him alone, like I said. I'm also going to find a herp vet around here. I had a vet I used to use when I had my hedgehog, and I believe they dealt with snakes, too, though I never took my last one in. I also will be getting a scale so I can give more accurate weights.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! It might be easier soon as I get a picture up, so I'll try to do that as soon as possible. I know I will probably have to move them inside in the winter, so I will need to either make some changes to the cage (like insulating with foamboard) or put them in actual seperate enclosures. It is also likely we will be moving in possibly a few months, and that will possibly necessitate they stay inside.
    The world is a place, full of people.

Thanks

Re: Work in progress!

How did you force feed it, and how long did it go without eating that you thought it would be a good idea to force feed it? What did you try before force feeding?

With such a big tank, you will need a second thermostat and a way to heat the cool side, being that your cool side drops down to the 70s. A lot of the issues you are running into are from having a 55 gallon glass tank. You will be a lot better off using smaller plastic tubs, but I'm sure you know that since you read the care threads here. If you insist on sticking with the 55g aquarium, you will need to buy a lot more stuff to get the basic husbandry right. You know what you need to do for the most part, so either use smaller plastic tubs or go buy all the stuff you will need to get it right in the 55g.
    Last edited by PythonWallace; 06-06-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Force feeding should be your FINAL option. Its very stressful on the snake and will inhibit further eating habits. If the snake had gone longer than 3-4 weeks then I would consider it but then and only then would i try. If your snake wont eat then there are a few things you can do. pre-scenting is one, covering them when feeding is another, but sometimes they just don't feel like eating.
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

just to clarify - hubby decided the snake had to eat and he did it himself. The snake (Ra) hadn't eaten in two weeks at that point, even though he seemed interested. He would just crawl around with the F/T in his cage. I'm more the research gal and he's a brainy type who thinks because he's had previous boyhood experience with different snakes he must know what he's doing.

To bring indoors I will most likely go to plastic tubs. I have a ton anyway since I cleaned-out paperwork I've had for years! And I think once we leave the snakes alone for a bit the feeding shouldn't be an issue. (Hopefully)

Edited to say that he opened the snake's mouth and got the fuzzy in head-first (of course) and then let the snake do the rest. He didnt' literally shove it down his throat or anything. Also, I will be getting another temperature gauge (I have one from Home Depot that does inside/outside and humidity) to monitor the other side ambient temp. Then when I go to two tubs I have one for each, anyway.
    Last edited by Zafra; 06-06-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Add info
    The world is a place, full of people.