Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

1 members and 3,376 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: mites!

Thanks

mites!

Ok this morning I checked on my friend, I found 4 little black things runnin around on him, I am sure these are mites! Everything is brand new here. where do you think they came from? and where can I buy this provent a mite locally right away? Should I pursue my local petco I bought everything from in regards to this matter? maybe he had it when I bought him or one of the wood objects or the repti-bark?

Thanks

Re: mites!

Quote Originally Posted by TraviZ View Post
    Ok this morning I checked on my friend, I found 4 little black things runnin around on him, I am sure these are mites! Everything is brand new here. where do you think they came from? and where can I buy this provent a mite locally right away? Should I pursue my local petco I bought everything from in regards to this matter? maybe he had it when I bought him or one of the wood objects or the repti-bark?
    he probably had them when you got him. petco does not take very good care of there reptiles. this is a common occurrence.

call your local pet supply depots and locate some provent a mite and follow the instruction to the word as it can be fatal to your snake if you dont.
    1.0 Ball Python: Monty
    0.1 Red Tail boa: Dixie
    0.1 Tree Boa: Carmen

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffJ For This Useful Post:

TraviZ (06-06-2009)

Thanks

my only local pet supply is a petco or petsmart, I would havce to travel quite far to find a real pet store.

Thanks

There is no emergency. Order your provent-a-mite and just wait. Give him a good bowl of water to soak in - a few more days won't hurt.

Snake mites come on the snakes - not the substrate usually. The suppliers will often have the snakes in big groups as they distribute them to the pet stores. Even if the pet store treats them for mites so you don't see any at the store, they will still have eggs. So 30 days later, you have mites again.

So just get the provent a mite stuff and follow the directions. Also, spray some paper towels and let them dry. Then everytime you chage the substrate or about once a month, put a treated paper towel on the bottom. This will help ensure no surpises down the road. I did this for several months, then just stopped. I haven't seen mites for a long time now. Just be careful when you bring a new snake in - quarantine and remember the eggs will hatch within about 30 days.

Chad
    www.iherp.com/wafisherman

Ball Python, 2 Dumiril's Boas, Mexican Boa
    Russian Tortoise, 3 Sulcata Tortoises,
    3 E. Box Turtles and one 3-Toed Box Turtle
    Dog, Cat, Bearded Dragon
    2 Leo Geckos, Tiger Salamander, 2 Water Dragons
    Chickens, Rabbits, Ducks, Pilgram Geese
    2 Olberhasli milking goats
    7 kids and one amazing wife!