Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

2 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unsuccessful females ??

Just out of curiosity how many years do you breed a female before you decide she is just maybe not made for being a breeder. I am talking about girls that reabsorb follicles, and or just dont go, maybe slug out a few times.

Or any ideas of what to try different in the up coming season.

I have a girl that is always the first and last to lock up, she has kicked a couple small males into figuring out whats going on cuz she is that easy, but I have tried to breed her only two years the first year was at about 1600 grams and again this year at about 2000 grams. And both years she grew follicles just like everyone else but never would go onto ovulation.

Just wanted to get some other peoples opinions on whats going on or what to do, I appreciate everyones comments.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Re: Unsuccessful females ??

I am working on breeding year number 4 with a female that has yet to go. What I am going to do with her this year, is attempt breeding her starting in July, and see if her cycle may be 180 days off from everybody else. With that said, it is my opinion that all of them will lay eggs, as it is what they are programmed to do. Snakes don't do much, and procreating is one of few things they do (along with eat, rest and use the bathroom).

Just my .02,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

3. The Following User Says Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

Drew87 (06-04-2009)

Thanks

Way off topic but Tim, I saw your site for the first time a couple hours ago. NIIIIICE collection.
    ]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pavlovk1025 For This Useful Post:

muddoc (06-04-2009)

Thanks

I've got a 3000gm+ normal that I have had for two years. She is probably 8-10 years old. She did not go last year and this year she slugged out - 10 slugs and 1 little boob egg that is about 30 days in the incubator. She locked up with 2 males multiple times.

I think I know what her problem is though - She needs to go in a bigger tub. She came to me in a 32qt rack and I haven't bought a bigger rack yet. (bad mom!!) I'll fix that this summer and hopefully I will have better luck with her next session.

Thanks

I have a girl that layed good 6 eggs for me last year in her virgin season. She was bred to a cinnamon pastel male and all 6 eggs hatched Cinnys!

This year she completely puzzles me though. She looked like she was building and locked a bunch of times with my Mojave and Lesser, but since then nothing. She now refuses the males attempts, which to me says perhaps she ovulated? Very puzzling though, she never really sought out her cool side, and though a little larger, doesn't look for sure gravid to me. I guess i will just have to keep a close eye on her over the next few weeks. She had a shed already, so maybe she had her ovy and i just missed it.

Robin
    H2 Exotics

Thanks

Muddoc, Hi long time no see. This whole discussion brings up a question I have wanted to ask you and others with large collections. Our colection is growing exponentially as you know. My question has to do with overall success. When breeding a large collection like say 100+ females what would be considered a normal failure rate in breeding, or is there one. Do the odds even play into breeding like they do for hitting a morph. Any input is appreciated, especially from those with large collections Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pavlovk1025 View Post
    Way off topic but Tim, I saw your site for the first time a couple hours ago. NIIIIICE collection.
    Thank you very much. We have tried hard over the years to be as selective as possible when building our collection.

Quote Originally Posted by JenH View Post
    I've got a 3000gm+ normal that I have had for two years. She is probably 8-10 years old. She did not go last year and this year she slugged out - 10 slugs and 1 little boob egg that is about 30 days in the incubator. She locked up with 2 males multiple times.

I think I know what her problem is though - She needs to go in a bigger tub. She came to me in a 32qt rack and I haven't bought a bigger rack yet. (bad mom!!) I'll fix that this summer and hopefully I will have better luck with her next session.
    If she laid anything (slugs included), then I would say she is producing follicles, and is capable of laying eggs. Is she possibly obese? This can cause them to lay slugs. The other thing that I believe plays into the equation is the females comfort level that she is healthy enough to develop a clutch of eggs. That is hard to determine though, since we can't talk to them. She may have intentionally not utilized the sperm, because she thought it would take to much out of her, and threaten her health if she developed and laid eggs.

Just a theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0 View Post
    I have a girl that layed good 6 eggs for me last year in her virgin season. She was bred to a cinnamon pastel male and all 6 eggs hatched Cinnys!

This year she completely puzzles me though. She looked like she was building and locked a bunch of times with my Mojave and Lesser, but since then nothing. She now refuses the males attempts, which to me says perhaps she ovulated? Very puzzling though, she never really sought out her cool side, and though a little larger, doesn't look for sure gravid to me. I guess i will just have to keep a close eye on her over the next few weeks. She had a shed already, so maybe she had her ovy and i just missed it.

Robin
    H2 Exotics
    She could have just quit breeding because the follicles had already begun to shrink. Was she a 2 year old virgin? Many of my 2 year old producing females will take off the following year. I would guess that she is not gravid. However, I would just palpate her and find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatoyman View Post
    Muddoc, Hi long time no see. This whole discussion brings up a question I have wanted to ask you and others with large collections. Our colection is growing exponentially as you know. My question has to do with overall success. When breeding a large collection like say 100+ females what would be considered a normal failure rate in breeding, or is there one. Do the odds even play into breeding like they do for hitting a morph. Any input is appreciated, especially from those with large collections Thanks ahead of time for your input.

In case you have never seen this, I have posted a number of statistics from my last 2 breeding seasons. I will be doing it again this year (as I do every year), and will probably be adding a few more statistics to the list this year. Here is a link to the thread. I think it will answer your question.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=87360
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

Fearless (06-04-2009),tonkatoyman (06-04-2009)

Thanks

Thanks for all your insite Tim, just in case nobody has told you this week, you are awesome!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    Thanks for all your insite Tim, just in case nobody has told you this week, you are awesome!
    Not this week, but thanks. It is always a great feeling to know you have helped someone.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

In case you have never seen this, I have posted a number of statistics from my last 2 breeding seasons. I will be doing it again this year (as I do every year), and will probably be adding a few more statistics to the list this year. Here is a link to the thread. I think it will answer your question.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=87360[/QUOTE]

I am new to the forum so did not know about past posts. But thanks much. This has helped tremendously as we grow in size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast