Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,319

1 members and 3,318 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Update on tadpoles I rescued

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydragon View Post
    well.. update on those tadpoles... I had 9.. and now only have one.. the others vanished over night but i couldn't find them anywhere including inside the filter.. which led me to believe that the remaining tadpole was the culprit. Hope his siblings tasted good to him.... (if that is possible I couldn't find them anywhere and I couldn't find anything about tads eating other tads). So, now the remaining tad has turned into a frog and he is tiny and green (thought he was supposed to be grey).. either way he is cute. Please ignore the not so great pics but here are a few pics of the hopper...

SWEET Nails!

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Re: Gray tree frog tadpoles....... HELP!!!!!!

AWWWWWW that is so cute!! I just found this little guy right outside where i work. In northern IL of all places!

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Re: Gray tree frog tadpoles....... HELP!!!!!!

Not exactly sure about the frog you have.. But i was able to find out the one i found is a "Hyla Versicolor" aka.. Grey tree frog or eastern grey tree frog.. They have extreme cold tolerance. Which is why they are found in eastern and northern US. Very common in the great lakes region. They can change color to match their environment. From shades of green to grey.

They are easy to care for. After the tadpole stage they just need a small terrarium w a moisture holding substrate. Shallow water bowl with a small rock in it to make it cricket safe. Some fake plants or small tropical plants that you can sink the pot into the substrate. Like bromeliads. And a branch or one of those little aquarium caves that looks like natural wood.

Its good to have a couple different things like a green plant and a grey or brown cave or branch so you can see them change color..

Feed a few small crickets every other day or so. You can tell when they are full by how fat the belly gets.. Remember, a frog will eat itself to death. So never keep an endless supply of crickets in there.

You can also try very small meal worms. Just change the bedding when you detect an odor. Change the water every few days and your frog will be fine. They do not require any special lighting or heat like tropical tree frogs do. Hope this helps.

Oh and yes they are legal to own.. Some pet stores or herp stores carry them in the spring

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12