Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Some of my Chameleons...

WOW! man you got some really awesome chams... I always been attracted by them. Somebody I will get one, I am wondering if I could have your permission to print your picture and show them to friends?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoCaliSon View Post

If you were looking into getting one... A pet store would be last place I would recommend, but I'm sure we all know that.
    you know, it's funny because i work at a pet store and when i see that someone is REALLY serious about any reptile, i recommend breeders as well. Lol. But they're not all BAD either

Anyway, i love the second to last picture of lombardi. it's as if he raised his hand in a fist just for the picture. Nice chameleons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PrioBull View Post
    WOW! man you got some really awesome chams... I always been attracted by them. Somebody I will get one, I am wondering if I could have your permission to print your picture and show them to friends?
    Go for it... That kind of use is fine with me... I just don't want to find pics of my chams being advertised for sale anywhere. If you plan on publishing them anywhere on the web send me a message and I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Laterr View Post
    you know, it's funny because i work at a pet store and when i see that someone is REALLY serious about any reptile, i recommend breeders as well. Lol. But they're not all BAD either

Anyway, i love the second to last picture of lombardi. it's as if he raised his hand in a fist just for the picture. Nice chameleons
    Awesome... I too used to work in a shop... I would do the same thing. You are right.. there are shops out there that do take their care seriously. The biggest dissadvantage IMO with buying from a pet store... Is being able to know where your animal came from... and what the lineage. Aside from Panthers and Veileds, most chams that are sold in shops are WC, and will require extra attention to make sure they are not carrying any parasites or something of the sorts,

I am PMing with BlackCrystal... and I wanted to copy my response here in case anyone is a little more interested in how they are kept. I typed this up real quick, but I think it touches on the major points.

I always recommend just buying a cage. Going the DIY method I find often ends up costing about the same (unless you have mat on hand) and takes extra work. The screen Cham cages (18x18x36) that they sell at LLL would work great for a baby panther and are not to expensive. Depending on how active he is, He may be able to stay in that his entire life... For an active adult I recommend the 4x2x2 alum screen cage. The screen part is important as they need fresh circulation, stagnant air leads to URI. A ReptiSun 5.0 uv fixture(tube not compact) is the best way to provide UV, and a regular 60 watt incadecent house bulb above the basking spot will keep the basking spot around the right temps. 70-75 deg ambient temps, with a 85-90' basking spot is what you want to aim for. Live plants with regular daily mistings helps keep the humidity where it should be. Contrary to popular belief, no night lighting is needed. A night time drop in temps of about 10-15 degrees is actually important for the health of a cham, and Red night lights don't allow for this. No substrate is the way to go considering the amount of mistings chams need. I drill holes in the pvc bottoms of my cages and catch the water in bins, as I have all my cages set up on an automated misting system that provides four 5 min misting sessions a day, even when I am not there to water them. All that water has to go somewhere, and if you have anything at the bottom of the cage, it can easily build up nasty bacteria that could possibly be ingested by a hunting cham.

Panthers can be a little pricey $185-$300 for babies on the market right now... But I think they are worth it.

Hope this helps... I am always willing to answer Q's so don't hesitate.

~Joe

Thanks

AWESOME chams, I got myself a baby panther right now. still young but getting his colors in better everyday, he is 2 months now and I'm wondering when he will start showing his blue? he is a blue bar ambilobe
    1.0 Panther Chameleon
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1 Crested Gecko
    2.0 Red Eyed Tree Frogs
    0.1 Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Damn dude. Those are HAWT! Ive always wanted a chameleon but I never wanted to get an animal that I might have difficulty providing for, but based off of what you said a cham doesnt seem to be too much hassle.
    ]

Thanks

Fantastic!! Your Chammies are so pretty and vibrant! O_O you should make youtube videos PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?!!?
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

last pic is cute :o
    A proud member of Ball Python Forum and WikiPets

Thanks

You mentioned screen cages only... I am about to build an in wall cage in my living room for some type of display animal. I had not even considered a chameleon until I saw your beautiful specimens. The cage can be up to 3ft tall x 6ft long x 2ft deep. The front of the cage will have to be glass or plexi and the back will have to be black pvc on passing door tracks. The sides and top could very well be screen if necessary. Do you think this would be sufficient for a cham, or should I go with a different reptile? (I have a great deal of experience with reptiles, but none with chameleons.)
    6.13 Corns, 4.5 Ball Pythons, 1.0 Mex Mex King, 1.1 Mali Uromastyx, 1.1 Red Saharan Uromastyx, 0.1 ETB, 1.0 Boxer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballin View Post
    AWESOME chams, I got myself a baby panther right now. still young but getting his colors in better everyday, he is 2 months now and I'm wondering when he will start showing his blue? he is a blue bar ambilobe
    Thanks. 2 months is young. Do you mind me asking where you acquired him from? Most breeders will hold back their chams to at least 3 months as they can be tricky when they are small. Sgt. Pepper in my pics is a Blue Bar Ambilobe, he is around 4-5 months in my pics, but he was the largest of his clutch. Blue and green are typically the first color that the babies will start to show around 3-4 months. Panther Males typically show their full color potential around 12-14 months.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlovk1025 View Post
    Damn dude. Those are HAWT! Ive always wanted a chameleon but I never wanted to get an animal that I might have difficulty providing for, but based off of what you said a cham doesnt seem to be too much hassle.
    Thanks!!! They are awesome! They may require a little more attention than other herps, but way worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGuardian View Post
    Fantastic!! Your Chammies are so pretty and vibrant! O_O you should make youtube videos PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?!!?
    My camera sucks at taking vid... But I have a few that came out okay... I suppose this would be a good spot to post them. Some of these are kind of old. And yes... I guess I talk to my lizards.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=dc09f62c.pbr

YouTube - Elwood the Nosy Be Eating

YouTube - Margarita the Veiled Eating a Hornworm

YouTube - Lombardi and Sookie Sex Tape

YouTube - Lombardis Weigh In 11-7-08

Quote Originally Posted by chromeitout View Post
    You mentioned screen cages only... I am about to build an in wall cage in my living room for some type of display animal. I had not even considered a chameleon until I saw your beautiful specimens. The cage can be up to 3ft tall x 6ft long x 2ft deep. The front of the cage will have to be glass or plexi and the back will have to be black pvc on passing door tracks. The sides and top could very well be screen if necessary. Do you think this would be sufficient for a cham, or should I go with a different reptile? (I have a great deal of experience with reptiles, but none with chameleons.)
    It gets kind of touchy when you are dealing with an animal that not only needs High humidity, but air circulation as well. Too much or too little of either can be bad. A lot of keepers especially up north, and in the UK use glass/acrylic enclosures because of the cold weather they encounter. It can be done, as long as you find a way to avoid stagnant air. Another thing is with the demension of your cage... You would want to focus on having something that is taller than wider... They are arboreal animals that love to have as many vertical highways to climb around in as possible such as hanging vines and tree branches.

~Joe

Thanks

[QUOTE=SoCaliSon;1077678]Thanks. 2 months is young. Do you mind me asking where you acquired him from? Most breeders will hold back their chams to at least 3 months as they can be tricky when they are small. Sgt. Pepper in my pics is a Blue Bar Ambilobe, he is around 4-5 months in my pics, but he was the largest of his clutch. Blue and green are typically the first color that the babies will start to show around 3-4 months. Panther Males typically show their full color potential around 12-14 months.

I got him from a local breeder. he is actually now 3 months and has been shedding and eating. thanks
    1.0 Panther Chameleon
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1 Crested Gecko
    2.0 Red Eyed Tree Frogs
    0.1 Leopard Gecko

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast