Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,777

3 members and 2,774 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What kind of camera & settings?

I apologize if this has been asked before, or if belongs on another forum - but I really wanted to ask anyway! I was just curious, what kind of camera(s) and settings do you all use for snake pictures? Right now I only have a Fujifilm digital point & shoot, in addition to a Minolta SLR 35mm film camera... I've been wanting a digital SLR forever, but it's just not in the budget right now. So I need to make the best of my P&S, which hasn't been very impressive with snake shots. I just can't seem to get clear, up-close pictures, even with trying different settings. Any tips?? And if/when I do get my digital SLR, does anyone have suggestions on what to get? TIA!
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Re: What kind of camera & settings?

I personally use a Nikon D80 with various lenses, sometimes a dedicated 60mm macro lens, sometimes a longer lens (17-105ish).

I'm also a professional photographer and i've learned for 4 years how to take pictures of various subjects. That said, it is NOT the camera that takes a good picture, its the person behind it. I suggest reading a few "how to" photo books, there is also a photography section in the forum below that has many helpful hints and tips.

i shot all of these with the D80.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85271
    http://cinderbird.com/cinderbird.com...thon_book.html

tips:
    always white balance. ALWAYS.
    always shoot RAW if you have the option.
    always take way more pictures than you think you'll ever need. You can always delete
    Always make sure you have enough light. Low light makes for poor, blurry images.

For getting clearer close shots, use the macro feature on your camera if you have one and if your camera cant focus get farther away from your subject. Not all cameras and lenses have the ability to focus close up (i count "close" as 2 inches or less from my subject)

Thanks

Thanks for the tips! I took a few photography classes in high school & college, but have forgotten most of the technical stuff... I definitely need a better camera eventually, though.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

Oh, and your pictures are beautiful!
    Lolo's Collection...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbird View Post
    That said, it is NOT the camera that takes a good picture, its the person behind it.
    Do you mean the actual quality of the picture or the actual shot? You wont get a great picture from a POS camera. If that was the case, why would you own a d80 when a d40 or whatever also takes pictures?

Thanks

P.S. I just noticed the sticky on photography techniques, so I'll definitely read that for more information!
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clear View Post
    Do you mean the actual quality of the picture or the actual shot? You wont get a great picture from a POS camera. If that was the case, why would you own a d80 when a d40 or whatever also takes pictures?
    I've seen people take great pictures with holgas. (google them if you're unfamiliar). They're terrible cameras and rightly known for having bad optics and lenses, etc.

I choose (and am lucky enough to be be able to afford) to use a professional level DSLR because of the qualities of the equipment. DSLR's have interchangeable lenses, something i'm not aware any point and shoot does, they mostly have fixed lenses. Fixes lenses are fine if you're shooting a subject suitable for fixed lenses. I don't shoot that way, i shoot macro photography (true macro photography), I shoot people, still lives, animals, etc and I have a variety of lenses that allow me to do that.

I also use a DSLR because of the wonderful file type that is RAW. No interpolation (except for the color data and information because CCDs are inherently colorblind) gets into my image. If i under expose, fine. if i overexpose, fine. I can stitch images together, edit and remove, etc. RAW is a much more suitable file type. Not everyone understands how to work with RAW files, or has the software and not everyone needs it.

It really depends on the person and what they're shooting. All i'm saying is its not necessary to go out and buy the "NIKACANON RS40002" body for 5 digits, and then spend another 2 grand on lenses and accessories for your chosen system. Buy used or refurbed, buy new or lesser, it matters, but its not necessary.

Quality depends on system. I know i can get good quality images from my system because i've done it well over 4,000 times. It depends on sensor size, if you've got vibrations in your system, what you're taking a picture of and how its lit. its like a ton of different things that can affect how a picture will come out.

Hopefully that further explains what i said before, lol. wall of text.

And to the OP thank you for the comments

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

I have a Kodak easy share lol, it will do for now and the pics aren't too shabby
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

I couldn't agree more. It is not neccesary to buy a DSLR to take good pics. A descent point and shoot will take great pics with the correct amount of light, and understanding how to use your camera. Reading your manual and taking some photography classes can go a long way towards taking pretty cool pics.

But for some people a DSLR is way more flexible and able to adapt to alot more situations.....something that's a bit overkill IMO for light tent snake photos....but also fun if you are into amateur photography (or professional)

Guess which one is a point and shoot and which is a DSLR? (without cheating)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jdconstriction
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/jdconstriction
    Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/jdconstriction

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JD Constriction For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (05-28-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I totally got it wrong.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast