Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,012

0 members and 3,012 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: UTH/CHE setup?s

Thanks

UTH/CHE setup?s

Alright guys and gals, after years of wanting a BP I am finaly getting one this weekend. I do have a few questions though. I will be using a 20gal. tank and have aspen as substrate. I have bought zoo meds uth that is specified fo the 10-20gal. range and a 65watt che. Will this be sufficient to heat and keep my 20gal. at the proper temp. ranges? If not what would you suggest? I do have a 1000watt thermostat and an acurite thermo/hydro guage along with black foam core panels to put around 3 sides, 2 identical hides,a nice size water bowl,and a few fake plants for decor. I've read up on the care sheets and setup guides on here and think I'm within the proper ranges as far as setup goes, I just wanted to check with everybody to see about my heating setup. I should be aiming for 92 on the warm side, low 80s ambient, and somewhere in the low 80s for the cool side correct? I will be setting this all up tommorow. Thanks in advence for any help or advice! I can't wait

Thanks

Re: UTH/CHE setup?s

Yes, no, maybe, anything?

Thanks

I guess I'm just stupid for asking this question, 4 hours, 18 looks, and no replies!? I was hoping this would be somewhere I could learn and get info on raising my BP!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I think the problem is there is no way for anyone to know the answer to your question without knowing the ambient temps in your room.

I think it would be worth trying the UTH on its own once you have insulated the tank.

Put the body of the acurite in the cool end to get the cool side ambient and the humidity and put the probe under the substrate under the warm end hide - this should be the hottest part of the enclosure your snake will be able to reach so make sure it is not any hotter than 95f then adjust everything else from that point.

If the uth can keep the cool end at the right temps on its own then that avoids the problem of the CHE draining the humidity.

If it doesnt then you need to use the CHE and adjust the tank to compensate.

It sadly is just a case of set it up and let it run for a good few hours before checking to see what it gets to.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Quickone4u (05-26-2009)

Thanks

Thanks you very much! I kind of just figured that's all it would be but was unsure about the size of the uth, it just looks so small compared to the 20gal. My ambient room temp. stays around a constant 70-72 year round for the most part. So if I get this right you're saying get the warm side up to a temp no hotter then 95 with just the uth and see how warm the cool side gets from doing this. If it gets warm enough on the cool side, then I shouldn't need the che? Did I get that right? I just cant see that little uth getting the cool side up to the low 80 at the far side of the tank, it just seems too small. Would there be anything wrong with getting a larger uth? That way if it's needed, I have it and if not, the thermostat can control it? Thank you again for all the info

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

I would try with the UTH first and see if your ambients get to around 80*. If not, you could either get another UTH for the cool side or a CHE on a dimmer. The only problem with a CHE is that they kill humidity like there is no tomorrow.

Test it out and see. It really depends a lot on your climate.
    ~Steffe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Quickone4u (05-27-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I would try with the UTH first and see if your ambients get to around 80*. If not, you could either get another UTH for the cool side or a CHE on a dimmer. The only problem with a CHE is that they kill humidity like there is no tomorrow.

Test it out and see. It really depends a lot on your climate.
    Amen to that. I held out as long as I could before using the CHE, but it was a must. It was time to break out the humidifier...in May.

Thanks

Thanks everybody for the tips and help! I actually went ahead and got the next size up. I figure I can control it with the thermostat and its still only about one third the of the floor space. Hopefully I won't need the CHE but, if I do, I have it. It's just going to be a pain with the humidity levels. I also have two tarantulas and they require the same levels of humidity as a ball but, they don't require the heat levels a ball does so I guess I'll have to see how bad it gets. Is the screen wrapping the best suggested method of raising the humidity? I also know about using moss? how many use this? What other options do any of you use or suggest. I'm open to any. I figured I would just be wrapping it but, if there's a better method, I'm all ears!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I used moss once, and it smelled like a swamp so I got rid of it. It didn't do too much for me.
    Under caresheets, in the DIY section there are plans for a cheap homemade humidifier. I tried it, but I think it scared the snake with the constant noise. I'm currently using a room humidifier, however.

Thanks

Yeh, I have a room humidifier and have used it in the past for a humidity boost for my tarantulas when needed. The only thing is, I don't care to have to use one of those constantly to keep the humidity where it's need and was looking for other options. Thanks for the info, anymore?