Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,418

2 members and 3,416 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What categorie do you fit in when it comes to breeding?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not making it and losing a lot of money

34 18.38%
  • Not breaking even, but not losing too much money

67 36.22%
  • Breaking even

43 23.24%
  • Making a profit

34 18.38%
  • Making a living

7 3.78%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I need some reassurance here..

Can't we all just get along?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twistedtails For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (05-27-2009)

Thanks

Honestly, I didn't take the OP's original post either way. I sincerely do hope that the main motivation is love for the animals (I can tell you that if I suspect a breeder of being in the business solely 'for the money', I would not purchase from him/her). However, I spend over $100/month in feeding my 18 BPs. & I won't even go into vet visits (you will always have one every once in a while), electricity, etc. So if I can make at least that money back, I'll be a happy camper. But I also consider it a hobby. & some hobbies cost a fortune to maintain & never give you anything back in return.

I will say this: If you care for the animals, are willing to spend what it takes (money & time) keeping them happy & healthy, are willing to learn as much as possible about these wonderful creatures, then I wish all the luck in the world. It's obvious that some people can & do make a living off breeding, and many at least make the money back for the expenses.

But I truly suggest to read up as much as possible. Invest in some good books such as the Barkers' and/or Kevin McCurley's. & stick around this forum. You will learn TONS. Everyone on here cares a great deal about these animals and just don't want any harm to come to them.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Muze For This Useful Post:

Chris Behof (05-30-2009),Shadera (05-28-2009),TheOtherLeadingBrand (05-28-2009),Turbo Serpent (05-27-2009),twistedtails (05-27-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherLeadingBrand View Post
    I have considered breeding feeders, but the smell of those nasty critters just after a car ride home from the petstore makes me nearly vomit (and it DID make me vomit when I was pregnant) so I just can't deal with having them anywhere near my house for more than five minutes at a time. DH agrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    This is getting a little OT, but if the smell of the feeders is that bad, it is likely that the pet store you are getting them from does not have them in clean enough conditions. It is also possible that you are just a person that is more sensitive to it than most, and I do know many women are extra sensitive to smells when pregnant.

I made the mistake of forgetting bedding in the carriers while picking up my feeder rats (24) once, I've never forgotten again.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (05-28-2009)

Ridgecrest, California...Gateway to Death Valley!
    Thanks

Now dont take this wrong OP this isnt directed to you UNLESS your just in this for money.

If your in it for money, you wont make any money. Why? Suppoe you have a 30 snake rack and a few snakes get sick.....More then likely they got sick because you werent caring for them properly. Or you took shortcuts and the cheapest deals you could find, bringing in Low quality, sick snakes. Also proper quarantine will be avoided to rush breeding, inviting 10? 15? 20? all of your snakes into disease.

Second, if your 100$ Normal female gets sick, your not gunna buy her a new rack if needed or seperate her. Your also not gunna Take her to a vet and cure her ilness, inviting prolonged sickness into your collection.

Also When you try to sell your snakes, often times people only buy from someone reputable. If you take shortcuts and have Mites, sick snakes, etc? Nobody will buy from you. Also If I sold a snake and somebody wasnt happy about it, i would work with them even if I took a loss....would you be willing to do that? Why did I take a loss? I'm not in it for money.

I can go on and on. But if your honest with yourself, take care of your pets right...you most likely love them and wont let things happen to them. Youll have happy, healthy snakes. And possibly from there you can attempt to have happy Customers.

Happy healthy snakes = Happy customers,
    Loving animals and not money is what this Hobby is about. If you love them, you'll do WHATEVER it takes to keep them healthy.

Good Luck OP
    Last edited by XGetSome; 05-28-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: cant type tonight.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XGetSome For This Useful Post:

Shadera (05-28-2009),Turbo Serpent (06-01-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuzeBallPythons View Post
    . However, I spend over $100/month in feeding my 18 BPs.
    Wow I need to find your spot before switching to F/t I was spending that every week almost.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sg1trogdor View Post
    Wow I need to find your spot before switching to F/t I was spending that every week almost.
    Me too. It was killing me. I buy from a rodent breeder in West Palm Beach (about 1 hour away from where I live). I still have it shipped, though. I get about two months' worth for a bit over $100 (the rest I spend on ASFs, but I also work with a great breeder in Jax). I do only F/T, btw.

I don't how much shipping would be to your part of the world, though.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Muze For This Useful Post:

Mike Cavanaugh (05-28-2009)

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

We take any sick snake to the vet, normal or not. They are living animals! Not taking care of a sick animal is animal abuse IMO, I don't care if it's worth $5 or $5000.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOtherLeadingBrand For This Useful Post:

Chris Behof (05-30-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuzeBallPythons View Post
    Me too. It was killing me. I buy from a rodent breeder in West Palm Beach (about 1 hour away from where I live). I still have it shipped, though. I get about two months' worth for a bit over $100 (the rest I spend on ASFs, but I also work with a great breeder in Jax). I do only F/T, btw.

I don't how much shipping would be to your part of the world, though.
    What are African Soft Furred rats for? Finicky Eaters? I have a male that won't eat regular rats, but, he has also been breeding so that could be his problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

They are rats that don't get big, or rather won't out grow your snake, they are prolific breeders, don't smell as much as mice or regular rats, you can leave the male in with babies.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

twistedtails (05-28-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    They are rats that don't get big, or rather won't out grow your snake, they are prolific breeders, don't smell as much as mice or regular rats, you can leave the male in with babies.
    What she said...lol. I have 3 currently on them. They were all 1 mouse-at-a-time feeders when I got them (& not getting past 500 grams) so now they each eat an ASF per week (the female will actually eat 2. She's gained a nice amount of weight).
    Other Herps:
    Other:

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast