Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,295

0 members and 3,295 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What categorie do you fit in when it comes to breeding?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not making it and losing a lot of money

34 18.38%
  • Not breaking even, but not losing too much money

67 36.22%
  • Breaking even

43 23.24%
  • Making a profit

34 18.38%
  • Making a living

7 3.78%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I need some reassurance here..

I have to say, I can understand the need for reassurance that started all this. I about choked on my breakfast when I saw some of the snake prices for morphs! I just got my first little ball python three days ago and I feel like I got a great deal... a perfectly good little snake for $30 dollars! Everyone has their own reasons for getting involved with animals, and as long as the animals are taken care of, then I think that's just great! Besides, I keep reading all over the place that those who really like snakes should be breeding them to keep wild populations from diminishing. So more power to your breeding enterprise!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShiftingSliver For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (05-27-2009),twistedtails (05-27-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingSliver View Post
    Besides, I keep reading all over the place that those who really like snakes should be breeding them to keep wild populations from diminishing. So more power to your breeding enterprise!
    I have to argue with you there.... What does private breeding have to do with wild population? No matter what, there will always be a wild caught market. How do you think the morphs came to be and continue to expand?

Even if the US was capable of breeding enough for the market of the animals alone, the high end breeders will still seek out new morphs and wild caught BPs for the sole purpose of finding the next new morph.
    1.0: Honey Bee | Lesser | Banana Pastel Enchi | Clown 66% Het Albino
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

Thanks

I'm quite suprised that on my 2nd or 3rd post I generated a thread that has warranted some of the strongest opinions I've seen on this site yet. Sorry if I've chapped any of you in the process. I didn't mean to...really!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Serpent View Post
    I have to argue with you there.... What does private breeding have to do with wild population? No matter what, there will always be a wild caught market. How do you think the morphs came to be and continue to expand?

Even if the US was capable of breeding enough for the market of the animals alone, the high end breeders will still seek out new morphs and wild caught BPs for the sole purpose of finding the next new morph.
    I believe he was referring to animals which captive breeding programs are the only hope they have left for existence. I know there are some birds that fall into this category.

However the wild population of ball pythons are no where near extinction. Ball pythons have almost no natural predators left to compete with so their numbers are still going strong despite the volume that is exported ever year.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    However the wild population of ball pythons are no where near extinction. Ball pythons have almost no natural predators left to compete with so their numbers are still going strong despite the volume that is exported ever year.
    I was directing my opinion towards this train of thought.
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    I'm quite suprised that on my 2nd or 3rd post I generated a thread that has warranted some of the strongest opinions I've seen on this site yet. Sorry if I've chapped any of you in the process. I didn't mean to...really!
    No worries. People like a good debate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Serpent View Post
    Nice to know, but I breed my own now.

And Rodentpro.com doesn't do free shipping. they charge for one box and its up to you to fill it accordingly.

READ her post again,she mentioned american rodent supply.com NOT rodentpro.com

if you were as quick to comprend as you are quick to argue this forum would be friendlier.
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

" Do you really believe that what you believe is really real ? "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    READ her post again,she mentioned american rodent supply.com NOT rodentpro.com

if you were as quick to comprend as you are quick to argue this forum would be friendlier.
    And I was stating I had never heard of american rodent supply, but I was looking into rodent pro. And that is where I listed the prices from.

Try not to be so offensive especially when you are not a part of the conversation. And you can honestly take some of your own advice about comprehension and friendliness. I expressed my jump of assumption at the beginning and how I changed my thoughts afterward due to a more clarified explanation. Yet, you, keep coming at me with asinine arguments out of nowhere. Its not necessary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    Don't take it too personally. Most of this is just concern for you, and some of the members are unable to show that in an extremely kind way in which you may expect.
    Everyone who has posted something along the lines of "Don't breed for money, but for the love of animals" is just making sure your not investing into this market blindfolded and just for money, which some people do and find themselves sadly in a pitfall. Everyone just says that in a different way, and I do agree that many of them were a bit too over-enthusiastic when posting and were a bit too judgmental of the situation.

However, in defense of the members, I can easily see how your original post sounds like you are saying that you are mostly investing in this hobby for the profit. Of course, people are people, and they will assume because there have been many others who posted similar threads who really DID mean that they just wanted profit.

Just as the members shouldn't assume what your post means, doesn't mean you should assume that they will take it the way that you meant it. It is words over internet, there are no emotions or body language to help explain the situation, that is why it is very important to be as clear as possible on your intention of each post.

Thanks

Now everyone go HUMMMMM and take a DEEP BREATH.

It's obvious that the OP meant no harm. I agree that I too jumped to conclusions, but we now know the story, so let's let it be.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

Turbo Serpent (05-27-2009)

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast