Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,412

2 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What categorie do you fit in when it comes to breeding?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not making it and losing a lot of money

34 18.38%
  • Not breaking even, but not losing too much money

67 36.22%
  • Breaking even

43 23.24%
  • Making a profit

34 18.38%
  • Making a living

7 3.78%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I need some reassurance here..

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Serpent View Post
    Well around here a small rat goes for $4 and a medium rat goes for $6. I was spending more on food for the snakes for a while then I was on my own groceries. Breeding your own is definitely more economical in the long run.

And be wary of the Management in the Apartments, not many are snake collection friendly.
    All of the rental homes I have been introduced to have only had rules against dogs, cats, or noisy birds. If you ask about enclosed quiet animals, most landlords won't have a problem with it. I however, would not intend on saying I have 18 reptiles, but rather give it a different approach.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Wow, people are really getting on their high horses and jumping to conclusions in this thread. Though I agree one should never go into the business for the money, the OP never said that was the only reason he was in the business.

Also, a lot of people waste a lot of money on expenses that are not always required. $4 and $6 dollars for rats are ridiculous, and your own choice. You can easily order frozen from an online company in bulk for much less pricing than that.
    If you order and store 100+ rodents at a time..... And then shipping costs are upwards of $75 alone.

And I was simply making a reference, I got mine from a private breeder for $1.50 for weanlings.
    1.0: Honey Bee | Lesser | Banana Pastel Enchi | Clown 66% Het Albino
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Serpent View Post
    If you order and store 100+ rodents at a time..... And then shipping costs are upwards of $75 alone.

And I was simply making a reference, I got mine from a private breeder for $1.50 for weanlings.
    That is extremely false information that you have been introduced to I'm sad to say. If you go to americanrodent.com you will find out that oftentimes, shipping is free. The more you buy, and the more likely it becomes that shipping becomes free as well. If you don't get free shipping, it is most likely 50 dollars or less for the shipping cost. So look at it this way.
    Spend $100 on rodents and get free shipping.
    Spend $50 on rodents and pay $50 for shipping.
    It's going to be the same cost, it just depends on how much you really need.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

Turbo Serpent (05-27-2009)

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

We have a wonderful local petstore (no puppies, I'd never support any craphole that sells puppies) and we buy our feeders there. I think mice are a dollar and rats are two or three. I don't even know. I think the snakes are not that expensive, unless one gets sick.

Thanks

Wow, people are really getting on their high horses and jumping to conclusions in this thread. Though I agree one should never go into the business for the money, the OP never said that was the only reason he was in the business.

Also, a lot of people waste a lot of money on expenses that are not always required. $4 and $6 dollars for rats are ridiculous, and your own choice. You can easily order frozen from an online company in bulk for much less pricing than that.
    This thread has deffinately generated some conflict and shown some true colors. It's funny cause when I came to this site I read this:

"Welcome to ball-pythons.net!

Our mission here is two-fold: First, to provide a safe and welcoming environment for beginners to come and receive reliable, honest information about caring for their reptiles. Second, to provide a warm and friendly community for reptile enthusiasts of all ages, nationalities, and experience levels to share their passions, frustrations, and joys with like minded folks."

So far this is far from what I have experienced here. It's almost like I have to think like others here in order to be accepted? Quite pathetic.

Thanks

That is extremely false information that you have been introduced to I'm sad to say. If you go to americanrodent.com you will find out that oftentimes, shipping is free. The more you buy, and the more likely it becomes that shipping becomes free as well. If you don't get free shipping, it is most likely 50 dollars or less for the shipping cost. So look at it this way.
    Spend $100 on rodents and get free shipping.
    Spend $50 on rodents and pay $50 for shipping.
    It's going to be the same cost, it just depends on how much you really need.
    Nice to know, but I breed my own now.

And Rodentpro.com doesn't do free shipping. they charge for one box and its up to you to fill it accordingly.
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

Thanks

Don't get wrong there are a few members who have provided great information without being judgemental in the process.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    This thread has deffinately generated some conflict and shown some true colors. It's funny cause when I came to this site I read this:

"Welcome to ball-pythons.net!

Our mission here is two-fold: First, to provide a safe and welcoming environment for beginners to come and receive reliable, honest information about caring for their reptiles. Second, to provide a warm and friendly community for reptile enthusiasts of all ages, nationalities, and experience levels to share their passions, frustrations, and joys with like minded folks."

So far this is far from what I have experienced here. It's almost like I have to think like others here in order to be accepted? Quite pathetic.
    Look at some of your own responses and you can see why some have responded in such fashion. If you expect warm and friendly, then you must also be willing to treat others in such a way.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    Don't get wrong there are a few members who have provided great information without being judgemental in the process.
    Because they agreed with you.....

As the old saying goes, Treat others as you, yourself, wish to be treated.

After I read your initial post you rubbed me the wrong way, but after some clarification, I warmed up but you have proceeded to chastise any and all who are not agreeing with you. That my friend will not earn you warm and friendly.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turbo Serpent For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (05-28-2009),Mike Cavanaugh (05-27-2009),Spaniard (05-27-2009),twistedtails (05-27-2009)

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

I have considered breeding feeders, but the smell of those nasty critters just after a car ride home from the petstore makes me nearly vomit (and it DID make me vomit when I was pregnant) so I just can't deal with having them anywhere near my house for more than five minutes at a time. DH agrees.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherLeadingBrand View Post
    I have considered breeding feeders, but the smell of those nasty critters just after a car ride home from the petstore makes me nearly vomit (and it DID make me vomit when I was pregnant) so I just can't deal with having them anywhere near my house for more than five minutes at a time. DH agrees.
    This is getting a little OT, but if the smell of the feeders is that bad, it is likely that the pet store you are getting them from does not have them in clean enough conditions. It is also possible that you are just a person that is more sensitive to it than most, and I do know many women are extra sensitive to smells when pregnant.
    Casey

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast