Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,378

1 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: New Rats/Bin!

Registered User Classicrocker42o's Avatar
    Thanks

New Rats/Bin!

Yesterday I got two rats to breed, and a new bin for them.

I'm going to go ahead an make another bin so I can move the male out because she looks as if she's gonna pop already. I have an actual pet cage, but its not that big and I wanna give him room to run around some. Also person I bought it from said she might be prego.

The tubs are on sale at wal-mart for $4, and I bought the Hardware cloth at Lowe's for $7 (5x2) which is enough for ten bins. So cost $4.70 per bin.

Instead of zip ties to hold the hardware cloth I just used the thin metal that was wrapped around it. Then just twisted it together, like the bag ties for trash bags, or bread bags. I also used a utility knife to cut the sides out, and used it for the holes (just push down and spin it).

I was aware of this happening and planed not to, but forgot about not cutting to low so they don't push the aspen through the hardware cloth. Not to big of a deal. I'll just have to remember for the next one.

He is some pics of them. She's the albino and he's the hooded. It's funny she stays close or even on him for protection.

Thanks

Re: New Rats/Bin!

Rats are prey animals, they are in a new area, that bin has a great deal of height and I don't see any hides for them is why she is staying close to him. Rats are also very, very social animals. The male is not going to be very happy being on his own from birth to weaning. Would you be able to at least give him some environmental enrichment to help him out a little bit? Maybe a hide or something to chew on?

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway
    You might want to consider holding back 1-2 male rats from the litter to keep him company during his separation. That will of course require a larger bin to accomodate them. There are individuals in the herp community who will cram as many rodents as they can into small bins and yes the animals will live and reproduce, but since they are giving their lives to feed our snakes, we should be giving them more than the bare minimum needed for survival.

Good luck with the upcoming litter.

Registered User Classicrocker42o's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: New Rats/Bin!

No I love hearing what people have to say, don't hold back.

I have a hide, but removed it for the photos so you could see them. I also have something for them to chew on because I don't want them trying to chew on the bin if they are able to, but haven't put that in there yet. I also have some old wheels I had for hamsters when I was younger, but those are to small for them and was gonna put that in there later for the smaller ones.

Wouldn't I need two if I was to do that? Cause one male would be alone when I put him with the female, and if I placed both in there wouldn't they fight for leadership with the female in there?

I dunno about more rats right now, but I'll definitively give it a thought. Right now I have a 18 gallon bin. What would be the recommended max, and how many would be alright for a 36 gallon?

Thank you for your feedback.